Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Current status on well made Jib / cranes??
    I've bene googling a lot lately. There seems to be a lot of indie production companies bringing out their own versions of jibs etc.

But where are we in reality? Have things gotten better? More sturdy? Able to carry more weight?
    I used to own a iFootage mini jib, and found it to be almost useless for most setups except a bare bone dslr. So I sold it... ready to move up.

I saw a few Konova tests, and if it wasn't because the bloody thing could only carry 6kg I would be interested.

What brand is the goto brand for the range above 6kg...? I think a nice option for me personally would be the 6-15kg area. Larger than that would be to difficult for me to log around.

Is the Kessler KC-8 (NOT the lite version) still the best option for stability vs price? How much larger is the KC-8/12 in the 8 foot version when taken down?

Cheers

2. Collapse Details
    I have an 8' Kessler crane package with their Hercules head and a heavy tripod I need to sell. PM me if interested. It's about four feet long in the bag.

3. Collapse Details
    Ended up going for the pocket jib pro on a Hercules 2.0 head with a 3' Cineslider..... Hopefully they and I are a good match

4. Collapse Details
    Let me know how you go - I'm pretty close to buying one too.

5. Collapse Details
    Sure thing... I think delivery time here in EU is around 3 weeks, so will be some time yet. Got that kid like feeling that I can't wait that long haha

6. Collapse Details
    Interested in hearing how that goes too, looking for something super portable to take to some pretty harsh locations.

7. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Videvo View Post
    Interested in hearing how that goes too, looking for something super portable to take to some pretty harsh locations.
    +1

8. Collapse Details
    I've got the 8' kessler and it's really sturdy. Balance it properly and you can do movements by running your finger along the frame.

At 8', if you put a small fluid head at the end, it can take quite a lot of weight to balance though. (I don't always operate with a head at the tip, but for some shots it's mandatory).

I've done shoots where I sort of half-assembled the thing and cabled the parts, and threw them in the back of an SUV for quick setups - but the biggest problem with the kessler is that setup time's enough of a hassle (about 10 minutes from unzipping the case to setup and cable, get a monitor going, and camera mounted - if you hsutle) that often I leave it home.

I'd like to get some sort of pocket jib for quick shots with small cameras, but since I have $1k invested in the big guy (with case and both tips and bowl-mount for the tip), I don't want to spend a lot on it. I'll probably try one of the carbon $200 deals that are out there. The kessler can be scary for interiors, too - you really need an assistant to help setup and just watch that you don't bull-in-a-china-shop a nice house.

But after several years, it still kicks some ass. Only issue with mine is the logo-sticker has fallen off. Amazed how the bag has held up, too.

9. Collapse Details
    I have a Kessler pocket jib and have always loved the shots I've gotten with it. Really been making me want to get one myself that would work nicely indoors, something really small & compact, like even a 3-4' travel distance but it seems like most sellers go after long rigs.
    Where are all the S-VHS hipsters?

10. Collapse Details
    I caught Kessler on Facebook. They meassured the travel on the Pocket Pro and wrote "48.13 inches up and 31.5 inches down at fully extended."

So not as much as fx. the KC-8 but enough to get up under the ceiling of typical Danish home, or atleast do some simple location reveals etc or as a poor mans steadi when operating at the head.
    Some rough calculations in relation to my own Manfrotto Tripod (yep... didn't opt for the K-Pod just yet...), which can carry 25kg, I will have room for an 8kg camera rig after having deducted the weight of the head, the jib itself, and the Hercules head.
    Seems decent for my needs for the moment.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast