1. Collapse Details
    30 second Animation?
    I would like to do a 30 second animation cartoon. I'm a greenhorn to this kind of editing so very clueless where to start? IF there was an animation school by me I would take classes. Any ideas or thoughts where I should start?

Another question - for a beginner how long would it take to do a 30 second animation vs a person that knows what they are doing?

I know there are a lot of things that will depend on the timeline of doing a 30 second animation like the amount of detail that is in the animation but just wanted to get an idea so I know what I'm up against.

THANKS for any feedbacks

2. Collapse Details
    Character animation is involved. I'm assuming by cartoon, that is what you are wanting to do. First, are you planning on animating a character that is already created? If you don't know how to model and rig, then buying or aquiring a model already rigged for animation would be advisable . But you still must know how to animate the entire scene(s).
    3d programs can be used for cgi "cartoons" but you might consider going a far more simple route and rather than do it in 3d, instead use something like smith micro's toon studio. It's a 2d cartoon animation program and it's easier and far less expensive

3. Collapse Details
    There are lots of training and tutorials available online both for purchase and free for whatever type of software you plan to use

4. Collapse Details
    Where would I find animation character for sale?

I wanted to do something like this - The Restaurant type character animation not the brain character animation that is in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amf1qz8vf_c

5. Collapse Details
    Might want to look into something like DAZ Studio http://www.daz3d.com or Poser.

Using DAZ Studio I produced this animation for a contest last year, using models I bought (and modified) in about 100 hours.

Matt Sorrels

6. Collapse Details
    Pretty cool

7. Collapse Details
    Just downloaded DAZ so will see if I'm able to make anything :-)

8. Collapse Details
    To be fair I'm not exactly an amateur. But DAZ Studio is cheap, comes with fairly high quality models, has a large library of really high quality cheap (and free) models and everything you learn on it applies to every animation package ever made. It may not be good enough for what you finally want to do, but what you learn with it will only help you in the future. It's a fair place to start. The journey to making a Pixar quality 30 second animation might be pretty long though. Good luck.
    Matt Sorrels