Thread: 16mm Short Film

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceinLA View Post
    Lets see ANY digital camera do that. NICE!

Looks nice, but I'll play devil's advocate, beat the dead horse, etc etc, and say you probably could have rented a high end digital video camera (take your pic, but I'll throw out the Canon C300), saved a small fortune on film stock, film processing, transfer, and workflow costs, and thrown the difference toward your general production costs or whatever else along the way. Back a decade ago I could maybe see some justification for still shooting on film, but now I can't help but feel you're flushing your $$$ down the toilet, unless you're just going for the nostalgia element.

Have you guys been watching this season of 'Project Greenlight?" It's a hoot. There's an ongoing argument about whether or not they should shoot film vs digital, even though shooting film would suck up 10% of the 3 million dollar production budget. The producer wants to use an ARRI Elexa or some other high end digital cam, the director wants to shoot film, even though that extra money could be used to add a few extra days to the shooting schedule, among other things. To an experienced filmmaker, the decision there is clear. Most would kill to have three extra days.

2. Collapse Details
    It's not only a cost issue, is't more an aesthetic issue

3. Collapse Details
    These stills look great! Wonderful color and textures. Really clean, too! Have these been graded at all?

as for the digital vs. film argument, well, yes I agree that one could have saved money and still gotten great results with digital. However, I also think that there is merit to shooting film. I doubt any self respecting producer or director would risk jeopardizing the project just to shoot film. In other words, I cannot assume that they are making significant budget compromises by shooting celluloid.
    Last edited by abreu-canedo; 10-19-2015 at 07:44 AM.

4. Collapse Details

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12