Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Justify an F35 vs an FS7
    You can find an F35 now for around the same price of an FS7. We all know that when introduced they were $200k or so, but things have moved on.
    I'd love one but it's so hard to justify it next to the FS7. Typically one would do a pros and cons list, but I get the feeling that would be pretty pointless....but here goes!

FS7 pros and cons vs F35

Pros

Smaller
    Lighter
    Less power draw
    Easy to adapt lens mount for more / cheaper lens options
    Higher frame rates at HD (180fps vs 60fps)
    Higher dynamic range (on paper at least)
    4k up to 60fps
    1 year warranty
    Built in NDs
    Better in low light

Cons

Rolling shutter (although no bad reports from tests as yet)
    Errrr.........
    Ummmmmm....
    Struggling......
    Last edited by steve phillipps; 09-23-2014 at 05:10 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    The image on the FS7 will be way more detailed in 4K, will be way cleaner at all ISOs, and the camera will be much easier to use... If you go by logic, the FS7 is a much better camera, generations ahead. BUT, the F35 users seem to claim there's something special about the F35 images, something about the highlight rolloff and texture, I have no idea if it's true, but unless you can clearly see that special attribute to the F35 image yourself, go with the FS7.

I did not know it was possible for me to read 200+ pages on one thread (the f35 thread) but I did and found it fascinating and extremely entertaining, but yet I am undecided if there's something special about the image or is it a nostalgic thing.

3. Collapse Details
    The F35 is only 50fps.

As we are all aware I think the "on-paper" benefits of an F35 are few. It is the quality of the picture that speaks for itself.

I would say for a lot of projects an FS7 would be better suited than the F35, but if you're delivering no more than HD and you want an ultimate in picture quality, the F35 can provide that. Mac or someone I believe showed some samples recently of footage between a couple of cameras, was it the A7 and the F35, where there were some weird artifacts going on with the A7 that you will never see "on paper" but they're in the picture.
    James Martin, UK-based DoP
    www.jamesmartindop.com
    Sony F65, ARRI/Zeiss Master Primes, ARRI Alura Zooms
    Formerly: F900, F35, Zeiss Standard Speeds, Illumina S35s...

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebrahim Saadawi View Post

I did not know it was possible for me to read 200+ pages on one thread (the f35 thread) but I did and found it fascinating and extremely entertaining,
    Me too, and I also couldn't believe I got all the way through it, but it's a page-turner!
    Steve

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JMtheDP View Post
    The F35 is only 50fps.

but if you're delivering no more than HD and you want an ultimate in picture quality, the F35 can provide that.
    Yeah sorry, it's F23 that's 60fps.

With HD I wonder if the FS7 would still be equal to or better than the F35 - shoot 4k and down-sample? I dunno...it's a hard sell, and definitely a head and heart type deal!
    The other thing for me is that I can't stand hard drives! So I would rather shoot tape - hence am looking at the SRW9000. But then I thought I could even buy an SRW1 and connect that to the FS7 and it would still be as cheap and light and power efficient as the SRW9000!
    Steve

6. Collapse Details
    It would not be as compact as the SRW though.

Build quality is another immeasurable aswell - I've lost count of how many EX1/EX3/F3 handles I have seen break off. The F35 is designed for professional use, pure and simple. It *feels* expensive. Hardly useful when trying to sell it, but something nice still.
    www.jamesmartindop.com

7. Collapse Details
    Wingrove's video on newsshooter had some dodgy roll-off highlight edges.

Im thinking the FS7 will look typically sony

The F5 IMO doesn't create great 1080 (with Xavc codec) - I guess the 7 will be the same

The convenience and spec of the 7 will probably keep most clients happy while the 35 will continue to please cinema-files

Of course the real interest in the 7 is how sexy is the 1080 when you create it from '4k'

S

8. Collapse Details
    I know a guy that provided Sony with some footage for their NAB display of F65 stuff. It was shot 1080P, 220mbps. People still oooh-ed and aaaah-ed. Resolution is such bulls£"$.
    www.jamesmartindop.com

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Of course the real interest in the 7 is how sexy is the 1080 when you create it from '4k'

S
    Yeah that's what I was gonna say when you said that the F5 doesn't do great 1080 - I'm sure you're right, even with the 2k OLPF - but yeah downsampled from 4k tends to yield a very good HD image doesn't it.
    No doubt about it, the FS7 is a very appealing bit of kit, and with body only £5,599...hard to argue with that.
    Steve

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JMtheDP View Post
    Resolution is such bulls£"$.
    I know that, you know that...but try telling that to the person hiring you!
    I've always equated it to mobile phone stills cameras - the latest iphone might well have a zillion pixels, but does that mean it will make a better 16x20 print than a 10 year old DSLR with a tenth of the resolution? Highly unlikely. It's just 1 number in a big package of variables.
    Steve

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast