Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Sony A7s DESTROYS it's own SLOG-2 gamma curve over it's HDMI port
    Hi folks,

It's true, Convergent Design spotted this and posted that the A7s "breaks" it's SLOG-2 gamma curve on it's HDMI port.

Here is what happens:

1.) Record a SLOG-2 internal XAVC-S file.
    2.) Record via HDMI to any recorder that you have.
    3.) Compare both files on a scope...you will see that the SLOG-2 gamma curve has been stretched and "damaged". (compared to internal file's "proper" curve on the scope)

The HDMI recorded files will have higher contrast and will c lip both the highs and the lows faster than the internal "true" SLOG-2 recordings. (ie. 80 IRE in camera and internal file becomes 90 IRE on HDMI port...10 IRE becomes 0 IRE on HDMI)

Histogram comparisons clearly show a huge difference between what is recorded internally and what is displayed out of it's HDMI port.

This is a serious problem that affects all recorders attached to the A7s HDMI port. I don't know if this is a Sony "bug" or if it's an intentional "cripple" to keep TRUE SLOG-2 trapped inside it's internal 1080 codec.

I'm looking for more testers out there. Anyone else with an A7s willing to try this on their recorder camera?

Check out the scopes. Everything above 20 IRE shifts (stretches) up...below 20 IRE shifts (stretches) down.

Sony needs to fix this right away. They have never stated that the HDMI port was crippled to REC709 or that what you see on the monitor is NOT what is really being output.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Collapse Details
    Someone at IBC should try to ask some Sony representative and ask about this, if they are aware of it and if so, if there's plans to do something about it.
    Sony FX9 | FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    FE: Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8 GM, 28-135/4, 24/1.4, 50/1.8, 90/2.8, 28-70, SEL: 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4
    Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Catalina
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Catalina

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
    Hi folks,

It's true, Convergent Design spotted this and posted that the A7s "breaks" it's SLOG-2 gamma curve on it's HDMI port.

Link to where this is posted please?

4. Collapse Details
    Not 100% convinced by this, what was the post workflow? This kind of clipping and stretching could be a workflow issue. It's been a while but i A/B'd O7Q DPX files with the internal XAVC files and didn't notice anything amiss.

I wonder if the XAVC is being stretched into legal range whereas the HDMI is full range. The XAVC is YUV and HDMI output can be RGB or YUV.

The lone point at the end of the curves show the 'not really 14 stops' in play.

Some more information is needed about what was tested and we can duplicate it perhaps

cheers
    Paul
    ------------------------
    twitter.com/inventome
    lastest post : The truth about LUTs http://blog.inventome.com/Blog/2016/...uth-about-LUTs

5. Collapse Details
    Of course this is another way of saying i can probably give this a go fairly easily...

cheers
    Paul
    ------------------------
    twitter.com/inventome
    lastest post : The truth about LUTs http://blog.inventome.com/Blog/2016/...uth-about-LUTs

6. Collapse Details
    Here's a quick comparison

top in xavc, bottom is prores out of the HDMI port, both in the latest Resolve (because that opens xavc directly)

The XAVC container shows the log range squeezed between 16-235, but you can see the top and the bottom.

The bottom shows prores, i had to gain it down because it recorded super whites and resolve sticks those above 100%. But when you gain it down you see the same clipping as the XAVC version and also the same shadows. It's just that it is distributed in the ProRes container as full range. But nothing has clipped in this example.

I guess a follow on question is: we know the XAVC is YUV and in the conversion to RGB are we seeing full range data? In other words because we can see that the Slog2 signal is distributed better in the ProRes version does that mean there is more fidelity from the HDMI. This is a very difficult thing to test for.

Of course there are several steps in the test that could change the image. The HDMI -> O7Q ProRes module and then how a particular application chooses to decode that. If it clips superbrights then you'll see data missing.

a7hdmi.jpg

FWIW i did the same with DPX vs XAVC will look at that in more detail next.

So again, we need to know more about the test and conditions to see if there's something going on...

cheers
    Paul
    ------------------------
    twitter.com/inventome

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    Here's a quick comparison

top in xavc, bottom is prores out of the HDMI port, both in the latest Resolve (because that opens xavc directly)

The XAVC container shows the log range squeezed between 16-235, but you can see the top and the bottom.

The bottom shows prores, i had to gain it down because it recorded super whites and resolve sticks those above 100%. But when you gain it down you see the same clipping as the XAVC version and also the same shadows. It's just that it is distributed in the ProRes container as full range. But nothing has clipped in this example.

I guess a follow on question is: we know the XAVC is YUV and in the conversion to RGB are we seeing full range data? In other words because we can see that the Slog2 signal is distributed better in the ProRes version does that mean there is more fidelity from the HDMI. This is a very difficult thing to test for.

Of course there are several steps in the test that could change the image. The HDMI -> O7Q ProRes module and then how a particular application chooses to decode that. If it clips superbrights then you'll see data missing.

a7hdmi.jpg

FWIW i did the same with DPX vs XAVC will look at that in more detail next.

So again, we need to know more about the test and conditions to see if there's something going on...

cheers
    Paul
    Yup, definitely an overall contrast difference. The shadows look like they are being stretched downward too.

Can you post a histogram comparison? Waveform is great but the histogram reveals an even more dramatic shift between the two.

Thank you so much for your time!

CT

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
    Yup, definitely an overall contrast difference. The shadows look like they are being stretched downward too.
    This seems to be just a full levels issue. Prores is being recorded at 0-255 and XAVC-S at 16-235. Both have the same data but NLE's will clip the whites and blacks (also stretch the histogram) with the 0-255 material. Resolve gets to it fully.

So basically everything is ok? Test by bringing down the superwhites in your NLE (premiere -> fast color corrector -> inputs to 16-235 (or was it outputs?))

9. Collapse Details
    It's a great observation that you guys have. I suppose the next question is: Has the original curve itself been changed? When the 16-235 form XAVC-S is stretched back out to 0-255 over HDMI...is it stretched in a "linear" way? Has the "curve" been maintained? (just "proportionally" stretched to 0-255)

CT

10. Collapse Details
    Repost from a thread in the NEX sub forum:

Here's a side by side. After lowering whites/raising blacks and dropping saturation a bit, you can see that the dynamic range is identical (fridge interior) [PS this was shot @ 12,800 because I was testing low light noise at the time]

a7s.jpg
    Director / Cinematographer / VFX
    www.ryanlightbourn.net

ALL THE DEVILS ARE HERE creature feature available now on iTunes, Amazon, Google Play and more!
    Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-SiE7U7sbo

Twitter - twitter.com/ryanlightbourn
    Vimeo - vimeo.com/ryanlightbourn
    IMDB - imdb.com/name/nm3405871

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast