Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    It appears to be a design defect, but the engineer I spoke to about my camera said Panasonic was hoping to fix the issue via a firmware update. I mean if they decided to sent my camera back to me without any repair (because there is no repair right now), than I'd call that a design problem likely on ALL PX270s. I will give them a reasonable amount of time to come up with a fix before I take any more action.

2. Collapse Details
    Well, it's official: All three of my PX270s have the OIS issue. The footage from yesterday's wedding shoot is littered with them, and all behaving much like the footage that Glen posted: A shot with very little camera movement suddenly jerks to the side. This defect is rather stealthy too, as it is much less apparent on the camera's small LCD screen than on a 24" (or larger) monitor.

Just figures that a few weeks ago when I was playing around at home, the issue was very intermittent and seemingly was triggered by performing "tripod-like" pans and tilts. What I SHOULD have done was crash a wedding and attempt to capture a once-in-a-lifetime scene...like yesterday, THAT would have made it rear its ugly head.

I intend to talk with Panasonic and my dealer to get their take on this significant issue. There is an awful lot to like about these cameras (as well as the promise of what they may become once "finished', but this is a show stopper for me.

3. Collapse Details
    I bought the PX270 in Cologne/Germany in April. I made exactly the same experiences using OIS. Apparent jerks during 1 or 2 frames. As if someone would hit my ellbow slightly while panning. Looks very disturbing and irritating. Serial Nr: C4TCA0044.
    Astonishingly there is little information about the problem. Till now no support from dealer or Panasonic.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by wgs View Post
    I bought the PX270 in Cologne/Germany in April. I made exactly the same experiences using OIS. Apparent jerks during 1 or 2 frames. As if someone would hit my ellbow slightly while panning. Looks very disturbing and irritating. Serial Nr: C4TCA0044.
    Astonishingly there is little information about the problem. Till now no support from dealer or Panasonic.
    Send it back and get your money back. I don't think there is any rep from Panasonic watching this forum like there used to be. Jan is gone, etc. I might be wrong. But, the 270 is a dud with the OIS problem. I'm keeping my 250 and looking at the new Canons and Sonys. They have a lot to offer and their OIS has always been better than Panasonics.
    Last edited by JohnnyD; 09-28-2014 at 11:56 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    I want to be optimistic and have said I will wait until the upcoming firmware before making judgment of Panasonic. If you purchased in April it would probably be tough to return the camera. For anybody who could return their cameras, I would to give yourself options by returning the camera. If the firmware comes through then you can buy them back. If Panasonic falls on its face and makes another video with the grumpy guy saying "pros don't need OIS..." then you can move to another company.

Let's hope they live up to their reputation of being a company that supports professionals.

6. Collapse Details
    I agree with Bassman - return it if you can and buy back once a fix is announced.

Hand in hand with a good OIS is the need to have AF working for you when you are too busy to control focus manually.

I have the 160 where the primary problem was slow AF with a bump at the time it settled down.

A "fix" did come along (not free) - it consisted of a manual "push auto" option to achieve quick lockin to focus.

7. Collapse Details
    I would echo the sentiment about returning the product. I am loathe to even consider buying a product that is incomplete. There are capabilities that were supposed to be available in future updates with the firmware. I do not believe all of those have been made available. Not that it would likely happen, but what would someone do if they bought a camera and then it either had a problem, or unreleased capabilities that were promised, and then the manufacturer goes belly up?

I hope that Panasonic gets it together and fixes the issues. I really like their products but would be reluctant to buy the Px-270 right now.

8. Collapse Details
    Do the dealers that sell the 270, know that they are faulty? Anyone dealer reading this thread?

9. Collapse Details
    There is a $1000 trade in for HPX170, 200 users... but if the 270 is not working as it should (with OIS) is it worth it? Sounds like they fff'd up and now want to just get rid of the defective ones

10. Collapse Details
    YES this camera is most definitely worth it we just took advantage of the rebate to get our 2nd PX270. This is amazing Camera a full Broadcast Camera way better than our HPX 250 you will have to spend way way more money to get a better Camera.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast