1. Collapse Details
    Pulp-Adventure VFX Short
    This is a fun VFX project I started in July of 2012. It's taken a LONG time to get it done and we're finally uploading it this July.

We shot it on Canon 5D Mark II and did most of our effects and post work in Final Cut Pro, Adobe After Effects, Element 3D and Color.

It's basically a VFX reel roughly constructed like a trailer with all that pulpy goodness! (CG airplanes, matte paintings, fight scenes, etc)

Thought you guys might enjoy checking it out. It was made on a shoe-string budget and a lot of fun to shoot and do post on.

Here's the final VFX short on YouTube:

Also, for those of you who are interested in this kind of stuff, here's some Behind the Scenes content:

VFX Breakdowns

Behind the Scenes
    Last edited by GWSFilms; 09-10-2014 at 09:23 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Love it!
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

3. Collapse Details
    Good stuff. I don't think the machine gun would sound so electronic /soft though.

4. Collapse Details
    That was some great work! Love the opening.

5. Collapse Details
    If this was a TV show I'd watch it for sure. If it hadn't taken you 2 years to make I would have begged you to make a Kickstarter project.
    TOBIAS NILSSON
    C I N E M A T O G R A P H E R

6. Collapse Details
    omg loved it awesome work!

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolin View Post
    If this was a TV show I'd watch it for sure. If it hadn't taken you 2 years to make I would have begged you to make a Kickstarter project.
    Wow, thanks! That still may be in the future. The reason it took two years was simply due to the cost. I'm really happy to see it's getting such a positive reaction!

I decided to upload the full version of the "truck fist fight" bit we shot, complete with it's own score:

Last edited by GWSFilms; 08-07-2014 at 08:50 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    For anyone who's interested, I posted some tutorials/breakdowns of some of the effects in the trailer. Thought you guys might get some use or inspiration out of them:

9. Collapse Details
    Well done! I really enjoyed it! I also watched it before I read what tools you used. I had guessed some E3D and AE, but I didn't once stop to wonder what camera it was shot on. You really sucked me in The only shots that didn't fully work for me were the shots of the gunner shooting through the square hole. Something felt off, but that was it for me. Fantastic!

Independent Filmmaker
    BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid Media Composer/NukeX/Blender/Mixcraft/ProTools/Resolve Studio

Feature Films
    Wulf - 2008 | Leap - 2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast - 2011 | Surviving The Wild - 2020

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by El Director View Post
    Well done! I really enjoyed it! I also watched it before I read what tools you used. I had guessed some E3D and AE, but I didn't once stop to wonder what camera it was shot on. You really sucked me in The only shots that didn't fully work for me were the shots of the gunner shooting through the square hole. Something felt off, but that was it for me. Fantastic!
    Hey, thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yep, I used E3D and AE for sure. Going to do some tutorials covering how we did those effects, too. And yea, those .50 cal/window shots were tough! I learned a lot doing this short, especially how to handle shooting for VFX. The lighting and coloring was a tough match on those.

Thanks for checking it out!