Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Canon 70D - Advice
    Hello guys.

I'll buy a Canon 70D in the next days and it's basically for filmmaking.

What do you guys think of this lenses:

Kit Lens
    Prime Lens - 50 mm 1.8
    Zoom Lens - Wide angle

Do you think it's ok? Or should i just buy the body only, save many from the kit lens and buy another one?

Thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    I'm assuming you'll be using the Servo Focus at the very least from time to time.

If that is the case, you need to consider STM vs non-STM. STM lenses are quieter during Servo Focus but DO NOT allow you to manually override the focus when Servo is activated.

For non-STM lenses you'll have to do your own research as to which one best suits your needs since each non-STM lens operates differently from other non-STM lenses (i.e. some are smoother than others...etc).

From here, the basic fundamental aspects of lens choice follows (i.e. which focal length do you want to use to represent/portray your scene).....

For my two cents, a few wides to consider are:
    Tokina 11-16 F2.8 II
    Canon EF 16-35L F2.8
    Sigma 18-35 F1.8 (heaviest lens of the ones listed here)
    Canon EF-S 17-55 F2.8
    Canon EF 14mm F2.8L II (has the closest minimum focus distance of any wide)
    Canon EF-S 10-18 f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
    Last edited by ectobuilder; 07-13-2014 at 05:32 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    The Canon 18-135 mm STM is a decent lens. It is the only non-L Canon lens that I have used in 10+ years.

My benchmark price in the US has been $1,184 after a $400 rebate for the 70D, 18-135, and the Canon Pro 100 printer. At Adorama or B&H before 2/1, haven't checked recently.

If you don't want the printer you can sell it for $100 at least for the ink, probably about $130 net on Cragslist for the whole printer.

Good luck!

Michael

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ectobuilder View Post
    I'm assuming you'll be using the Servo Focus at the very least from time to time.

If that is the case, you need to consider STM vs non-STM. STM lenses are quieter during Servo Focus but DO NOT allow you to manually override the focus when Servo is activated.

For non-STM lenses you'll have to do your own research as to which one best suits your needs since each non-STM lens operates differently from other non-STM lenses (i.e. some are smoother than others...etc).

From here, the basic fundamental aspects of lens choice follows (i.e. which focal length do you want to use to represent/portray your scene).....

For my two cents, a few wides to consider are:
    Tokina 11-16 F2.8 II
    Canon EF 16-35L F2.8
    Sigma 18-35 F1.8 (heaviest lens of the ones listed here)
    Canon EF-S 17-55 F2.8
    Canon EF 14mm F2.8L II (has the closest minimum focus distance of any wide)
    Canon EF-S 10-18 f/4.5-5.6 IS STM

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Sorry for my ignorance, but i dont know yet much about lenses. What is really the difference between STM vs non-STM? They both do Servo Focus but one is quieter than the other, is that the difference?
    Thanks for your lenses advise, i'll certainly check them!
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by unadog View Post
    The Canon 18-135 mm STM is a decent lens. It is the only non-L Canon lens that I have used in 10+ years.

My benchmark price in the US has been $1,184 after a $400 rebate for the 70D, 18-135, and the Canon Pro 100 printer. At Adorama or B&H before 2/1, haven't checked recently.

If you don't want the printer you can sell it for $100 at least for the ink, probably about $130 net on Cragslist for the whole printer.

Good luck!

Michael
    Thanks unadog!
    I guess i'll buy it with the kit lens then.

5. Collapse Details
    I have the full Sigma ART lenses range that I use with great results on both my 70D and FS700.

35/f1.4

50/f1.4

18-35/f1.8

24-105/f4

Each of these lenses focus really fast on the 70D.

I'm not thinking at any moment of having the Canon counterparts except for the incredible 70-200/f2.8 USM II.

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks S. Blanchardon.

I've read good things about Sigma 18-35 1.8, but i guess with 18-35 there is not much room for zoom?

Yes that Canon lens seems incredible but costs a lot and it must be pretty heavy.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mikcheck View Post
    I've read good things about Sigma 18-35 1.8, but i guess with 18-35 there is not much room for zoom?
    Close your eyes...and buy that Sigma...you ll not regret it... Works perfectly with the AF of the 70D (better than most of the Canon lenses) and its a great value generally for APSC cameras! C100 users love it!
    About range...yes its a bit limited, but its range is very useful and anyway you will have to cover it. And dont forget that the 70D has a 3x crop mode which is really good and with a lens as sharp as this one, the image quality is excellent!
    Im using that combo (70D/18-35) for almost a year already (shooting weddings mostly) and I rarely change lens!
    Just my opinion

8. Collapse Details
    You're welcome.

Well, concerning the Sigma, it spares you the cost of the primes in that range because it's an incredibly good zoom lens. But indeed the zoom factor is not huge.

You should give a try to the 24-105 too ! (Hoping Sigma actually make the 24-70/f2...)

Stéphane.

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    For a starting kit, I say you need to have the three main focal lengths covered

-Wide
    -Normal
    -Long

Luckily, Canon does make exeptional lenses available for every budget.

For the wide angle end, get the new 10-18mm IS STM. For 300$ It's a must have for any Canon user.

For the middle, normal range, get a 50mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/2. These will cover you in low-light also.

For the long end, there is the 55-250mm STM IS that works very well and has a very effective IS.

With these cheap 3 lenses you've got everything covered to make a film, from the ultra-wide range to telephoto, including low-light. And experiment.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Blanchardon View Post
    (Hoping Sigma actually make the 24-70/f2...)
    That would be great!!!

What is your experience with the 50mm f1.4 in terms of noise during autofocusing with the 70D? Another DVXuser reported in some thread that its noisy...is that the case? How it compares with the 18-35?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast