Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Philip Bloom Sony A7s low light video: Death warrant for 5d Mark III?
    can't help wondering is this the end of the mighty 5d mark iii? just saw the video posted by philip bloom showing the low light capabilities of sony a7s.

check the video: link

2. Collapse Details
    The A7s is impressive, but 5Diii with ML raw has better motion cadence to my eye. This is more important than extreme low light, at least to me.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    In some respects yes, but the 5D with H.264 recording needs to go away! RAW video is another story as it will stand the test of time imho.

4. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    You and Philip can debate all you want, but you'll continue watching things with B-roll and additional angles that Hollywood has shot with Canon DSLRs for a long time to come.

The real movie industry doesn't follow blogs and change everything for such incremental improvements - good enough was reached long ago and will continue to work (and get work).

5. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    The "real movie industry" is a broad term (just like the "indie movie industry" covers everything from multi-million dollar movies with big names down to teenagers making a feature on a 60D) but I can tell you that myself and a good amount of my colleagues are interested in these kind of cameras for various uses. We may not have the tendency to go bonkers over EVERY new camera announced, nor pixel-peep with the intensity shown by many intrepids on sites like this, but there is interest in getting the best match to our primary shooting camera (Alexa etc).

As for me, I largely moved away from the DSLR thing for the past few years but now I'm looking hard at the A7S and GH4, and am especially interested in the S-Log capability of the A7S and will probably pick up one soon. Hence my sniffing around here.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

6. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    None of my post was innaccurate at all. I've met very very few working 600 pros, and even fewer ASC, who read any blogs whatsoever - and if you ask them about anything P Bloom said they will laugh at you, myself included.

Yes I spewed some hyperbole in reaction to the overdramatic "death warrant" in the title, but the fact remains that Canon DSLRs are still commonplace on big feature and network TV sets, and I've yet to see a GH-anything or any Sony DSLR used on an Alexa shoot (where I spend the majority of my time these days, thank god that Reds have fallen out of favor).

Death warrant is FAR from accurate - but no surprise to see this forum piss itself over anything Bloom says.

BTW, don't let my username fool you, it's based on a joke that Barry made here years ago, around the same time I decided to hide my true identity due to forum trolls taking things too far into the real world - I'm as "Hollywood" as can be, for better or worse.
    Last edited by IndyFilmPhreak2013; 07-06-2014 at 12:45 PM.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Well, to state the obvious, the A7s has 12.2MP sensor and 5DIII has a 22.3 MP sensor. Also, mirror vs mirrorless. The cameras are very different.

8. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyFilmPhreak2013 View Post
    None of my post was innaccurate at all. I've met very very few working 600 pros, and even fewer ASC, who read any blogs whatsoever
    Well, I just upped your "very very few" quotient by 1, then. At least on the 600 part--not ASC, just yet!

Yes I spewed some hyperbole in reaction to the overdramatic "death warrant" in the title, but the fact remains that Canon DSLRs are still commonplace on big feature and network TV sets, and I've yet to see a GH-anything or any Sony DSLR used on an Alexa shoot (where I spend the majority of my time these days, thank god that Reds have fallen out of favor).
    I know a few shows that were using Nikon D800's and the like, Dexter for sure and I think NCIS LA. We hired an aerial company last year that had a NEX7 onboard their smaller drone which we intercut with Alexa, although not particularly successfully due to limited dynamic range, to be honest (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUiA4blvQPQ, and hopefully everyone will get the visual joke inherent in this piece--it's not supposed to look "good"!).

Death warrant is FAR from accurate - but no surprise to see this forum piss itself over anything Bloom says.
    I got over all of that a while back. The message board/blog mentality is a fascinating animal and you just can't fight it. I don't engage in "this camera will kill that camera" discussions, and I can't begrudge the popularity of any given blogger because they have captured the adulation of the masses. I'm not the demographic, sounds like you aren't either. A great percentage of users no longer care what "Hollywood" does, and that indifference has even spread to the marketing techniques of manufacturers (Blackmagic will sell a lot more units to indie dabblers than as C cameras for big shows and their advertising reflects that).

It's difficult to try and keep up with technology, especially when one is working a lot. My attention is much more focused on newer lighting solutions than cameras anyway--the Alexa takes care of 95% of my needs. My show is on hiatus so I've got a little time to look into some new tech, so here I am.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

9. Collapse Details
    If only they had made the camera a bit thicker for better heat handling capacity, they could have done internal 4k. I say this, because I remember reading a comment from Sony on why they didn't do internal 4k, and it was an heat issue.

10. Collapse Details
    The a7s is great and I prefer it over a 5dm3 in terms of video, but the 5dm3 is a MUCH better stills camera and the native lenses available for it are much better. I say this because I've had issues with metabones adapters for the a7s and s log is a pain to work with outdoors. The 5dm3 being a stills camera helps it hold resale value as well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast