Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Byram View Post
    Definately try before you buy if you can. The HMC has a pretty solid AVCHD implementation. I've played around a bit with the HMC40 recording to a Hyperdeck Shuttle, and the difference between the HMC's own codec and uncompressed is pretty subtle. Recording via HDMI doesn't help much with low light (maybe slightly finer noise in the shadows), and it doesn't seem to grade that much better (surprisingly). There is an improvement by going that route, but you really have to look close to see it.
    Is going to take some time , to arrive to this side of the world, but, in the following days will be buying from BHPhoto., Now I've witness , the enormous power of higher bit rate on my Canon DSLR , with a very modest increment from 40 mbs to 80 mbs thanks to the hack of Magic Lantern, I mean is huge all the information compression looses, and how impressive is what you can do with highlights, shadows, pushing color with a minuscule increment of 40 mbs, Now you are talking with the HMC40 of 24 mbs to 220 mbs besides a much richer color space , 10 times + more information, Good editing tools might show you the way to take advantage from the technology tools This recorder is offering us for bargain $ 450.
    By the way HMC40 Allows to use this recorder not having to use an external monitor, is made for this .
    Last edited by Felipe Henao; 07-14-2014 at 07:25 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Unhappy
    This review was copy from Amazon :
    The Ninja Star ONLY records to ProRes LT (80Mbps). It does not record to ProRes 422 or ProRes HQ with CFast 1.0 cards. The Ninja Star does not use CFast 2.0 cards in its current version. The Ninja Star puts your native 8-bit into a 10-bit wrapper for professional color grading. Atomos created their own 64 GB CFast 1.0 card that work with the Ninja Star for $159. The recorder works with any camera that has a mini-hdmi out, with an "uncompressed out" option (e.g. GoPro H3 + DSLRs + Canon C100).

This is the link :
    http://www.amazon.com/review/R3JBF9D8XD1ERB/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00KO1XFZW

Also terrible reviews about Micro HDMI, Mini HDMI is delicate but Micro is uuuups.
    Probably try in the future the Ninja 2 or Samurai blade , this has to hold

3. Collapse Details
    Given the cost I don't expect it to do everything perfect and there has to be limits. Still interesting, but I really have no need for that kind of product.

Bob Diaz

4. Collapse Details
    Yes Bob is cheap but they are offering 220 mbs ProRes, and seems like only gives 80, Just my DSLR with Magic Lantern gives 90, and don't know why the went with micro HDMI is very fragil .
    The size and concept is great, I just wrote to Atomos asking about that review, and no answer yet. The HMC40 is great without it but with that will jump to new levels, Atomos Ninja 2 seems
    an option but what I liked about this was size and weight. If I have an answer from Atomos I'll let you know
    Last edited by Felipe Henao; 07-27-2014 at 08:40 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Felipe,

Just so you know, I don't really produce any video for professional jobs. I'm in it for fun. So the quality level of the HMC-40's CODEC is good enough for what I do. However, for professionals with limited budget I can sure understand wanting to get a better quality level.= at a reasonable price.

This summer has been a busy one for me at the local college, I wanted to do a video of the local LA area, but I haven't had the time to work on it. Your videos of Colombia have been an inspiration to me to do something in my area. It's almost tempting to do it in Spanish, then you can laugh at how badly I speak Spanish . . . just kidding. I do speak Spanish, but only at a basic level.

Sincerely,

Bob Diaz

6. Collapse Details
    One image speak more than a thousand words, so good to share images.
    My English is acceptable, since I had the great experience, to live in New York for 7 years.
    In fact I became photographer in New York, You will believe that I worked at the Avon cosmetics studio in 1979.
    Also worked in Santa Rosa California in a Portrait Studio in 1984.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Henao View Post
    This review was copy from Amazon :
    The Ninja Star ONLY records to ProRes LT (80Mbps). It does not record to ProRes 422 or ProRes HQ with CFast 1.0 cards.
    http://www.atomos.com/downloads/ninj...-July-2014.pdf
    States HQ, 422 and LT. Maybe the reviewer wash`t using the Atomos CFast cards?
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I LIKE FOOD. FOOD IS GOOD.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    http://www.atomos.com/downloads/ninj...-July-2014.pdf
    States HQ, 422 and LT. Maybe the reviewer wash`t using the Atomos CFast cards?
    Yes that really surprise me, I mean the review, since Atomos seems to be a very reputable company, I WROTE TO THE COMAPANY AND WATING FOR AN ANSWER.
    Really hope those 220 mbs are not considering a future upgrade for the time the CFlash 2.0 will be recognised.
    CFast 2.0 60 mbs card cost $ 600 not the $ 159 as the CFast 1.0
    I'm really interested in this device but at 220 mbs.
    Probably just unpacient , let's see if they answer.
    Why don't you write them
    Last edited by Felipe Henao; 07-28-2014 at 12:47 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    This is the answer from Atomos :

Your ticket details:
    Subject: Ninja Star question
    Ticket ID: 45482
    Department: Support

New Update:
    Hi Felipe
    The Ninja Star is fully capable of recording all 3 Pro Res Codecs to the CFast 1 card, Pro res HQ works without any issues, just bare in mind HQ recordings are a little over a gigabyte a minute (1020 - 1050mb)
    The reviewer may be confused with bit rates, so long as the CFast 1 card can support roughly 70 - 80mb a second write speed it shouldn't have an issue with HQ
    Regards

Patrick Wescombe

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    What I just noticed after testing with a friend's Ninja star is that AVCCAM implementation of AVCHD Is great it can take a lot of correction in post, as much as I couldn't notice any improvement recording in my quick
    test. Both codects were pushed to the limits with identical results. If any one has a different opinion or test please let us know.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast