Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by PerroneFord View Post
    I guess folks here are/were unaware of the Blackmagic Hyperdeck, which shoots ProRes/DNxHD/Uncompressed, costs less, and uses cheaper and more widely available SSDs. And it has HDMI as well as SDI and can convert between the two seamlessly.
    Sounds interesting however I see some , basic differences, Size , weight, built in battery, power consumption, and some complaints about build quality.
    Last edited by Felipe Henao; 07-01-2014 at 05:56 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Atomos has offered the Ninja and Ninja 2 units for a few years now to provide ProRes recording for HDMI cameras - the Ninja Star is just a more compact version without a screen, not all-new technology.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARBOR View Post
    Atomos has offered the Ninja and Ninja 2 units for a few years now to provide ProRes recording for HDMI cameras - the Ninja Star is just a more compact version without a screen, not all-new technology.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers
    Big deal for me, size and weight, you can use it with a minimum increase in comfort

4. Collapse Details
    'Thought so. Good point.

5. Collapse Details
    Using one of the Ninjas with a good screen would be a nice upgrade to the rather poor evf and touchscreen on the 40. But frankenrigging an external screen and or recorder (with power) diminishes one of the truly great features of the 40 which is high image quality coupled with the stealthy compact form factor.

Grant

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrantly View Post
    Using one of the Ninjas with a good screen would be a nice upgrade to the rather poor evf and touchscreen on the 40. But frankenrigging an external screen and or recorder (with power) diminishes one of the truly great features of the 40 which is high image quality coupled with the stealthy compact form factor.

Grant
    Yes I really wish Panasonic releases in the future a Procamera with the form factor of the HMC40, This Ninja Star recorder is very small and Proress HQ 422, is a codec with 10 more times information than the native codec

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Henao View Post
    Yes I really wish Panasonic releases in the future a Procamera with the form factor of the HMC40, This Ninja Star recorder is very small and Proress HQ 422, is a codec with 10 more times information than the native codec
    AG-AC90? Little bit larger, many more pro features

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARBOR View Post
    AG-AC90? Little bit larger, many more pro features
    bit laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarger, no parfocal lens
    Pana please a HMC40 Mark II

9. Collapse Details
    The HMC-40 is really quite remarkable for what it is. I am consistently stunned by the image quality coming out of this camera!

My philosophy is that if you need more than 12dB of gain [with this particular camera] -- and it's not event* video or news -- You may want to re-consider the light levels are you are expecting to shoot in. On the other hand, I don't have a truck full of lights so using 0dB in every shot isn't going to happen on the vast majority of projects I do.

An external recorder would be worth a shot. However I would rather rent one for a few days versus buying it. Just to see first!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mpegfailsafe View Post
    An external recorder would be worth a shot. However I would rather rent one for a few days versus buying it. Just to see first!
    Definately try before you buy if you can. The HMC has a pretty solid AVCHD implementation. I've played around a bit with the HMC40 recording to a Hyperdeck Shuttle, and the difference between the HMC's own codec and uncompressed is pretty subtle. Recording via HDMI doesn't help much with low light (maybe slightly finer noise in the shadows), and it doesn't seem to grade that much better (surprisingly). There is an improvement by going that route, but you really have to look close to see it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast