Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    There's a right kind of sharp that preserves detail but doesn't look digital (best example: F35), and there's a wrong kind of sharp that looks like video (best example: GH2). Not easy to disentangle, it's a very subjective thing and it also depends a lot on how you use the camera.

My 5N is sharp enough for me. I'm not into the a7s for its sharpness, but for its DR, which is a much more effective way to achieve cinematic results.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    I'm not into the a7s for its sharpness, but for its DR, which is a much more effective way to achieve cinematic results.
    Amen.

3. Collapse Details
    i am in total love with my 5d mark III....i shoot with zero sharpness and add sharpness in post and that gives me great results. i also shoot with prolost preset and add contrast in the post which makes my footage look good and crisp. but with a7s coming out, i just hope it doesn't overshadow 5d totally. thought 5d is tried and tested and a well known camera, it would take some time for a7s to cut the cake and make it's name.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by payal_choksi View Post
    i am in total love with my 5d mark III....i shoot with zero sharpness and add sharpness in post and that gives me great results. i also shoot with prolost preset and add contrast in the post which makes my footage look good and crisp. but with a7s coming out, i just hope it doesn't overshadow 5d totally. thought 5d is tried and tested and a well known camera, it would take some time for a7s to cut the cake and make it's name.
    I think you should wait a little, until videos from more advanced users show the truth! I was impressed with the SONY promo videos, but everything else I ve seen from the day of release is total crap! I still believe it will be a good camera in the right hands...but so is the 5DIII right? Especially with ML RAW...

5. Collapse Details
    For me too raw is where it is at. It trumps resolution and dynamic ranger.

On the dynamic range front I find HDR cheesy. I believe the human eye can see about 12 or 13 stops without adjusting the pupil (please tell me if I am mistaken) so that is a good range for a camera to me. With raw I am able to pull so much information out of the blacks that I find great flexibility.

One final thing... I would never go back to 8bit or even 10bit codecs again. I have found macroblocking in 100mBit GH4 footage that isn't acceptable.

6. Collapse Details
    I thought the human eye can see 15-17 stops.

7. Collapse Details
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...-human-eye.htm

This is an interesting read on how the eye sees image detail and dynamic range.

8. Collapse Details
    Yes you should sell that horrible 5d mark iii for the superior A7s. I'll even take it off your hands for you for $500! lol
    HVX200
    Libec LS38
    15" MacBook Pro i7 Quad-Core 8GB Ram
    24" Imac 2.9 Duo 4GB Ram
    Final Cut Studio
    Adobe Production Premium CS5.5
    http://www.mbowdenproductions.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123