1. Collapse Details
    Tragic Lantern with T3i/600D for 16Gb files and audio issue
    Magic Lantern is great, so is Tragic Lantern. With T3i/600D and some versions of Tragic Lantern it's possible to shoot 16Gb files, which is great. Alas, to my experience, TL with 16Gb files works fine, as long as you don't record audio with the video. Though I have external audio recorder (actually 2, Tascam DR-40 and Tascam DR-60D), I need audio in the camera for sync in editing. I edit myself my movies and not being an experienced editor, I need the audio in the camera. It seems to me that the audio issue with TL and 16Gb files is inherent in TL, since no matter what settings I put in TL, when recording also audio, recording stops after few seconds. Did anyone manage to have 16Gb files with audio in camera?

2. Collapse Details
    Well, in a pinch you can use a slate & clapper. If your takes aren't unusually long, you can synch that way just fine. I've had 3-camera editing gigs where they forgot to record the synch sound for one or more cameras, and with a clapper you can do it faster than having audio and no clapper. Only PluralEyes is faster than that. You need to be organized and keep your take numbering accurate... it's really smart to assign someone that gig.

And man, people LOVE working the clapper...

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Carter View Post
    Well, in a pinch you can use a slate & clapper... You need to be organized and keep your take numbering accurate... it's really smart to assign someone that gig.

And man, people LOVE working the clapper...
    PRODUCTION SLATE

Don't leave home without it. It is the single easiest way to work with non-sync, second-system sound.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

4. Collapse Details
    Hi Michael and Alex,
    Thank you.
    I know what a slate is… one is on its' way from China (via fleebay)… yet, at least at this stage of being a completely novice editor, I prefer having sound on the cameras as well.
    BTW, my brief experience with Plural Eyes isn't encouraging.
    This is what happened:
    I'm 70 y.o., retired electronics technician, with some sporadic non-academic education and experience in movies, way back in my 20's and 30's.
    Some time ago I encountered a magnificent story, involving unbelievable chain of event. That chain of event almost 'proves' that there is some 'guiding hand', beyond mere 'blind coincidence'. So I decided to make a documentary about it. Since the main story teller is 88 y.o., I didn't want to wait for potential sponsors to put in some money, it may be too late…
    So I embarked on producing it, first with my own money. I hired a cinematographer and sound man, rented 2 Canon C300 cameras, lighting gear, accessories and sound gear as listed by the cinematographer and sound man. We had 1 day shooting which was very successful, yet, of course, more shootings are needed. At this stage, as long as there are no sponsors, I'll have to do it on my own, with my own gear, I cannot afford more hiring and renting.

On that 1 day shooting, the field-mixed sound was recorded into the 2 C300 cameras (chained from one camera to the other) and we used a slate. As I started editing it on Edius 6, I tried Plural Eyes, thinking it would save me time. Plural Eyes only messed the sync completely, so I synced the shots manually. Possibly I did something wrong, I don't know. Right now, syncing manually, when there is a slate (or hand clapping), is fast enough for me.
    I had another session of some more shooting, done on my own. Since I didn't have a slate yet, I clapped my hands in front of the cameras. It turned out to be as effective as using a slate.

Anyhow, back to Tragic Lantern, I'd love to hear a way of having 16Gb files with sound in the camera.