Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    My guess is that the 7D2 will primarily be a pro level sports camera and carry the price tag to match. Video will be improved and have dual pixel AF.

2. Collapse Details
    I hope it's not just a bunch of features that we already have with magic lantern... 1080p or 2k raw up to 60fps (120 would be even radder) would be more than enough to make me happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimurCivan View Post
    one is french and its different for that reason.

3. Collapse Details
    Canon is less likely to pioneer 4k in consumer cameras till they feel the pressure, I expect Nikon to lead as they don't have a pro line to protect. Also sony hase been more aggressive and we might see something from them first.

4. Collapse Details
    I've given up on my eos lens collection. Sorry....and canon as well. While very happy with Panasonic, I'm considering the a7s and a metabones, or maybe just the a6000. There's rumors of a 5n styled ff . Sony and Panasonic are so far ahead . Because the video market is so small and canon still sells well, it's most likely not to respond to this segment. I really doubt if the new 7d will have specs and image quality that undercut the c100. As has been it's model, it will offer the absolute minimum it can get away with...in it's consumer dslr's. And truthfully....who wants another traditional dslr anyway. It would have to be revolutionary to get my attention.

5. Collapse Details
    A thought that occurred to me is that since the 7D is intended as a sports camera, it will need a high data transfer capability to shoot fast raw stills sequences. This would make it a good candidate to handle either raw video or a larger resolution like 4k. As a DSLR, it's still not really competition against the c100 since a lot of the appeal of that camera is in the full functions and ergonomics of a true video dedicated camera. I'd expect the 7DII to debut around the price of a 5D3, or around $2000-$3500.

6. Collapse Details
    I've dreamed for affordable 4K from Canon for a while, but I don't think it will come with the 7D MKII. I don't think much of anything else in video features will come with the 7D MKII. While I love Canon and have been using them since I first started working with DSLRs, their business model pushed me away. I can't blame a company for attempting to keep money segmented where they need it. That's just how the world of high end manufacturing works. Canon simply feels that since people are already paying the $5,000 for a C100 (which is a very nice camera) there is no reason to trickle these high end features down to the DSLRs. So for me, I personally would rather work with a company attempting to tailor to the user. Thats why I switched to the GH4.

Dave Dugdale explained my exact thoughts and some info about the direction of Canon's next DSLR in his GH4 review. (Video starts at 41:16, talking about the Canon philosophy.)

7. Collapse Details
    I think some of you are underestimating Canon, which is fine. Maybe you should. Maybe we all should.
    But supposedly this new camera will have a new sensor in it. Something based on a newer technology. I don't think Canon develops a ton of new sensors, so I think they try to reuse the same sensor in multiple cameras. As we've seen with the Rebel line, 7D and 60D. So My guess is this new sensor will be 4K capable with enough power to push out at least 30fps in 4K and 60p in 1080.

My bet is the new camera will be 4K with H.265 encoding and their new AF system that usese STM lenses. Bare minimum.

The bigger question is, will it have all the fancy video features we may want, like: peaking, mic(and heaphone jack), less moire, higher bitrates, reduced rolling shutter, greater dynamic range, flip-out LCD, hybrid EVF/OVF, unlimited recording time, multiple 1080p framerates, clean HDMI out and so on? Those may be saved for the C line. Although we may get a couple of them.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    I also think it will be 8bit and they will move their entire C line to 10bit.

So what I'm saying is, just adding 4K is not going to be the biggest difference between their DSLR line and their Cinema line. Resolution isn't everything. If it was, the stills resolution of the Rebel line wouldn't come close to the 7D or 5D series. There are plenty of other things they can add to the C line to differentiate it.

9. Collapse Details
    Based on my understanding of Canon policy, I very much doubt that Canon will ever be adding a huge number of video features to their DSLR's such as peaking, waveforms, etc. They didn't add them to the 1DC and that was actually positioned as cinema camera. I don't think Canon has much of a staff for adding video features to DSLR's. Also, I doubt they will add any aggressive video capture features like higher bit rates or frame rates unless they can feel they can market them to photographers in some way. Every video feature that they add for the relatively small group of low end videographers causes them to piss off and lose sales among their much larger photography base. Photographers want great autofocus and metering systems and sensitivity. Anything that aids in manual focusing or complicates the camera just annoys them. And since Canon and Nikon are the big players in the photography market, I think that is why you are seeing Sony and Panasonic adding features trying to pick up the relative crumbs of the DSLR videography market. It's not that Canon is trying to screw over videographers with overpriced cinema cameras, they are just trying to protect their DSLR market by not focusing on video.

10. Collapse Details
    In the future Canon will be going 4k all the way. They were waiting for the consumer part i.e. uhd televisions to catch up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast