Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by hscully View Post
    The Labor Day weekend was nice, with the family and the bbcue and the hanging around. Labor day weekend marks the end of summer around here which means the kids are back to school, leaves begin to fall and Cions appear at AbelCine and B&H... or not.

Either the collective wisdom of this forum has evolved past pining for cameras yet unreleased (probably) or we have developed a jaundiced eye toward camera release proclamations (definitely), or the CION does not excite the hunger for the next best thing or worse... I alone have not evolved. I still long for the next thing... I have not learned.

I am alone.
    Haha, I think many here will be interested, but I guess AJA has a whole different strategy then BMD. AJA has always been like Avid for me, snobby high-end and hard to access, and BMD was, well, Apple - exciting and readily available ;)
    Letīs hope that AJA just plays the save game and comes out at IBC, showing a functioning ready-for-delivery product. That alone could win a lot of people over to their camp...
    And IBC is kind of late-summer right?
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I LIKE FOOD. FOOD IS GOOD.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    And IBC is kind of late-summer right?
    It's always summer somewhere ;)
    Sony NEX-FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8GM, SEL 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4, FE 28-70 | Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Mojave
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Mojave

3. Collapse Details
    You don't think they meant summer in Australia do you?

4. Collapse Details
    Either the collective wisdom of this forum has evolved past pining for cameras yet unreleased (probably) or we have developed a jaundiced eye toward camera release proclamations (definitely)
    AJA said summer. Technically they have until the autumnal equinox on the 22nd. I'm sure we were all taking summer to mean, around July. I think even AJA was thinking that.

In general, I prefer things to come on time, but if there must be a delay, I would prefer it be acknowledged. Has AJA said anything, or will they let summer silently pass cionlessly?

or the CION does not excite the hunger for the next best thing or worse... I alone have not evolved. I still long for the next thing... I have not learned.
    I'm not into shoulder cams anymore. I would like something like a Canon XA-10 but with interchangeable lens.

Oh, and global shutter. Since the Cion will have global shutter, I keep tabs on it, just to see how good the image and price can be while keeping global shutter.

5. Collapse Details
    I remember, from the myriad NAB videos, that they meant summer to be before IBC. I just want to talk about the camera with people who are interested in it. I am. I hope that the images are good, highlight handling, etc. It's the right price for me and I really like that shoulder cam form.

6. Collapse Details
    Good thing it hasn't too. Looks like Sony finally has an FS700 successor offering similar specs. Whether it'll be pro-res and or just XAVC is anybodys guess. As is the question of whether it's a global shutter but my hope is that they have heard the endless complaints about that and just put it in.

I'm also hoping for SonyRaw, SLog3 and high frame rates. I'd like to see Sony strike a home run with what BMD, AJA and Canon have been trying for. A sub $10K,interchangeable lens, true 4K, high frame rate, log gamma solution.

7. Collapse Details
    That's interesting. I'd need to know when and how much. Super fast frame rates to internal media has always been the FS700 calling card. XAVC is fine. I like IQ with the current FS700 with the 7Q, at least what I've seen. Sony RAW and SLog3 are great additions. I wouldn't count on a global shutter since they don't even have that on the F5 but you never know.

I don't know what will work for doing AJA Raw on camera, what recorder, etc. It's hard to imagine that a company that primarily makes recorders will open it up to Odessey and other competitors. I would need to be able to record on camera, so right now it's an unanswered question with the CION. If the answer is a Codex then that's not good for me, at least not to buy. I think their strategy purports that with ProRes 444 you don't need raw. I'm hoping they are right. It makes sense if you see all the films and shows shot on Alexa that don't do raw but ProRes to SxS cards. With that, I still have film clients that will want RAW and LUTS and all that. For me, and my projects, I could care less. I would like a log option also.

It's great to see a new FS700 on the way. I'm still pulling for the CION at this point. Right now, for me it's either a CION or a used Scarlet X. I'm waiting on seeing the grade from the Scarlet on a film I DP'd on it that is now in post. It did a great job with the highlights, I have to admit. I much prefer the CION features, ergos, connectivity, and workflow to Scarlet but they get a lot of play around here.

8. Collapse Details
    This:

Not sure if AJA gets it, when people want to see "ungraded footage". This is like putting the C100 in "Eos Standard" mode.
    Release is still referred to as "very soon"...
    IBS may surprise this year, this will be one hot autumn I guess;)
    Last edited by Spartacus; 09-12-2014 at 02:59 AM.
    I LIKE FOOD. FOOD IS GOOD.

9. Collapse Details
    This camera has a crop factor of 1.8. The sensor is a bit smaller than Super 35. It's closer to Four Thirds. The normal lens is 28mm. The same goes for the Blackmagic 4K.

This has been a public service announcement for those looking at primes.

10. Collapse Details
    FS7 | EVA1 | Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 | Zeiss CP.2 Set EF+PL
    Espionage Films | Cinematographer | Los Angeles
    DaveDP.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234