Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    It's an interesting camera, I love what AJA has done with it. But early rumors confirmed it had the same the sensor or one just like it from the BMPC. I think more will get excited once some real world tests show FPN is not an issue. Plus when you hear 12 stops of DR, how much of that is usable? What do the shadows look like in a stressful enviornment? I'm very curious about this camera, I think they did a great job, but still too many unanswered questions.

2. Collapse Details
    Yes the sensor concerns me too, blackmagic 4k is plagued with problems. Also, the sensativity could be an issue if base is 400. We shall see...

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    For some reason this thread is beginning to sound very familiar. Oh: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...post1986426248
    Yeah. Just because something is repeated doesn't necessarily mean it's true. Even if it is the same sensor, I think that processing, filtering, as I mentioned in that last thread, etc can play a significant difference in performance. So let's say that the rumors are true, and in fact a very similar sensor. When I asked about it, they said that there aren't a lot of manufacturers, so it could be. I don't think you can assume that it will have similar problems to the BMCC. Maybe... but there's no evidence either way at this point.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by hscully View Post
    Yeah. Just because something is repeated doesn't necessarily mean it's true. Even if it is the same sensor, I think that processing, filtering, as I mentioned in that last thread, etc can play a significant difference in performance. So let's say that the rumors are true, and in fact a very similar sensor. When I asked about it, they said that there aren't a lot of manufacturers, so it could be. I don't think you can assume that it will have similar problems to the BMCC. Maybe... but there's no evidence either way at this point.
    One of their reps said it was the same sensor. So I think at this point we can assume it's true. As I stated before, we don't know how it has been optimised. We can only hope in a better way than Blackmagic. In any case, this is camera one for them. The real test comes with whether or not they evolve. If they do and a second one is in the offing then I am interested. I certainly would never choose the Frankenstein coming from BM - the URSA.
    Last edited by yoclay; 06-02-2014 at 01:54 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    yeah... I'm not much of a fan of the BM URSA.. just not very elegant. I hope it's a nice camera for everyone who gets one but that one is not for me either.

6. Collapse Details
    Ursa looks pretty silly, Aja is a solid company, but this is their first camera, so it's kind of new territory

blackmagic is is a solid company too, and they have had lots of problems making cameras for the first time

7. Collapse Details
    yeah... I understand. It's the first camera and so that's something to consider. They did take a pretty long time developing it and, on the surface, they didn't go for anything too "innovative." It's a pretty elegant design and a clean set of features.

I'm a little spoiled with the NDs in the camera. I like that. It's just a little easier, less fiddely, and under certain conditions helps with that sort of wash out glare. It's not a showstopper but it would have been nice, I guess.

It's all about the pictures. I think the feature set is good. Oh also, how's it going to work on location with the RAW. The recorder they have is a rack mount which is fine but how will you record RAW on a stedi? I'm not sure on the path to that. I'm kind of hoping that we won't need it that often. That like a lot of Alexa users, the 444 ProRes to the cards will be plenty.

8. Collapse Details
    Pretty sure that after the CION rolls out, Convergent Design will add an AJA Raw to the Odyssey 7Q and AJA themselves will come up with a mobile RAW recording interface.

Also, when AJA can, they might produce SSDs with a higher bit rate (bandwidth) that can record the RAW files directly. I remember the AJA spokesperson in NAB mentioning that 30fps on Pro Res 4444 was only due to a bandwidth issue on the SSDs, so faster SSDs equal more fps and soon RAW.

9. Collapse Details
    10351473_10102386678873235_5620389504987836512_n.jpg
    A little something from this past weekend.
    FS7 | EVA1 | Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 | Zeiss CP.2 Set EF+PL
    Espionage Films | Cinematographer | Los Angeles
    DaveDP.com

10. Collapse Details
    Pics or it didn't happen! Oh, wait....

Footy or it didn't happen!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast