Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Wait, Cineform is dead? What do PC users covert with now?
    Uhm... okay so I may have been living under a rock here but Cineform appears to have been bought by GoPro because the only thing I can find is "gopro studio" and well, as suspected it doesn't work with files from other cameras.

Now I tried using 5d2rgb but can't get it to work, fiddling around for 1 hour with different versions & settings, simply can't get it to work. What the heck am I going to convert with now?

Cineform used to work... when it still existed. Are there other options?

2. Collapse Details
    Have you tried installing the free GoPro Studio 2 and then using the Cineform CODEC from a different NLE ?

It works just fine with Vegas Pro 11 and 12 on Windows 7. ( output as AVI, and choose the Cineform CODEC )

3. Collapse Details
    CineForm products have been rebranded with the GoPro name. Neo is now GoPro Studio Premium and Neo3D is now GoPro Studio Professional. Depending on what existing CineForm product you have, there are upgrade options. Both of those are available at cineform.com. The free version of GoPro Studio only supports GoPro and Canon/Nikon DSLR files (JPEG, not RAW) and that is available at gopro.com. The free version can only encode YUV and only up to 1920x1080 in 3rd party applications. RGB and higher resolutions require at least GoPro Studio Premium...it has no restrictions in 3rd party apps.
    Last edited by Jake Segraves; 05-22-2014 at 11:31 AM.
    Jake Segraves
    Technical Support Manager
    GoPro

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Segraves View Post
    Depending on what existing CineForm product you have, there are upgrade options.
    Jake,

Has anything changed with Cineform Neo Scene upgrades, or is it still a dead-end product ?

5. Collapse Details
    I think it all lives on, just branded as gopro, as Jake said. But I'll give you this: given how awful the site is, most people won't find what they're looking for.

In any case, isn't transcoding a thing of the past? I thought most editors worked just fine with H.264 footage by now.
    (I do transcode from time to time, but that's for creating DPX when I'm working on a VFX-heavy project)

6. Collapse Details
    I'll just note that GoPro bought Cineform 3 years ago.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    I think it all lives on, just branded as gopro, as Jake said. But I'll give you this: given how awful the site is, most people won't find what they're looking for.

In any case, isn't transcoding a thing of the past? I thought most editors worked just fine with H.264 footage by now.
    (I do transcode from time to time, but that's for creating DPX when I'm working on a VFX-heavy project)
    Transcoding to an editing format gets you way better performance inside the NLE. Smooth scrubbing etc.

8. Collapse Details
    When you install the non-free versions of Go-Pro Studio, Cineform's original transcoding app HDLink gets installed. So I've been able to continue with the exact same workflow as before ... I never run Studio itself.

The Go-Pro website is remarkably obscure in explaining any of this, but Jake (ex-Cineform) is as responsive as ever on support.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cameras: AF-100, G7 (formerly G6, GH2, HMC-40) -- Lenses: Lumix, legacy Nikons with Speedbooster -- NLEs: Premiere and AfterFX CS6 and CC on PC

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Segraves View Post
    CineForm products have been rebranded with the GoPro name. Neo is now GoPro Studio Premium and Neo3D is now GoPro Studio Professional. Depending on what existing CineForm product you have, there are upgrade options. Both of those are available at cineform.com. The free version of GoPro Studio only supports GoPro and Canon/Nikon DSLR files (JPEG, not RAW) and that is available at gopro.com. The free version can only encode YUV and only up to 1920x1080 in 3rd party applications. RGB and higher resolutions require at least GoPro Studio Premium...it has no restrictions in 3rd party apps.
    Alright this seems to work. Kind of a shame gopro designed their software like this, next to impossible to know this by looking on the webpage.

10. Collapse Details
    I can still help with the non-GoPro branded products (downloading and activating, etc.) but they are no longer being sold. You can reach me via the CineForm support site with any questions about those.

Graham is correct that the conversion tools included in the Neo product-line are still included in the GoPro Studio Premium and Professional products.

Regarding transcoding...I use a combination of HDLink and the GoPro Studio application, depending on what my source files are. And I use GoPro Studio's EDIT room for color correction. Corrections made to clips there are automatically applied to those same clips on a Vegas (or Premiere timeline)...great workflow, if you ask me since there is no rendering involved. All corrections happen at the codec level.

Oliver - The GoPro webpage and GoPro Studio FREE are all about GoPro workflows. The Premium and Pro products include some more advanced features in the GoPro Studio application but for the most part they are really left-over from the CineForm era and of less interest to the majority of GoPro users. The two paid products may never make their way over to GoPro.com but they still exist at the CineForm website since that's where those more professional tools have always lived.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Jake Segraves; 05-23-2014 at 01:16 PM.
    Jake Segraves
    Technical Support Manager
    GoPro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast