Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Field monitor: worth the money?
    Hey guys

Curious about your thoughts.

2. Collapse Details
    I say yes, you don't want to be using the tiny screen to judge focus, sharpness...plus cheap monitors can be had for ~$150 and up...

3. Collapse Details
    I guess HDMI connection right? BUt i read it forces you to record 1080. Do you know?
    Also how do you integrate the monitor to tripod/camera set up?

4. Collapse Details
    You can record any HD setup and use the monitor. it doesn't affect recording.

You can (as I recall, I sold my 150 for an AC 130) get a totally clean display or select different levels of info.

The HMC screen... I found it to be really crappy, bad color, bad for judging exposure, really bad for focus. I get the little 5" Marshall HDMI monitor (which turn up used for $250 - $350 or so) and a panasonic battery plate for it, great combo.

You can mount it with a simple swivel-ball mount to the hot shoe, use an arm, mount it on rails, whatever. A decent monitor will have at least one 1/4-20 threaded hole.

I don't know that a $150 monitor would be worth the hassle, but there may be something good out there. Buy a good one and it will outlast your next 5 cameras, at least until you move up to SDI stuff.

You want something that you can set to blue-only so you can calibrate it using the built in color bars from the camera.

Bonus: You can also get a cheap card for your NLE (Blackmagic Intensity starts at $175 or so) and use it as a color-correct editing monitor. Even at the small size, you can judge color work much more accurately (assuming you can calibrate the thing). (Cards like this or stuff from Matrox takes only the edit window from FCP, Premiere, After effects, etc and sends it via HDMI - no menus, etc - just what someone would see on a BluRay or broadcast. You can get a $10 splitter and use a big HDTV for detail and clients, and use the calibrated monitor to check color.

It's often difficult to use sliders or dollys without one - and impossible to do much with a crane.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys and thx Michael for an awesome reply. Very helpful

6. Collapse Details
    I recently got a 7" field monitor and for accurate focus it's crucial, at least if you only have a 3" display with no magnification feature as i do.

It's also help with exposure and framing as my camera LCD is all but trust worthy as far as exposure goes, i do use a light meter but it's nice to have a monitor that is more accurate and has, zebras, false color etc.

Now i can't see my self shooting without one.
    Regards
    Paul L.

7. Collapse Details
    I have a question regarding field monitors: lets say you get a small one (7") that does 720p (do any that size do 1080 yet?). How valid is using that with a 4k cam? Youre looking at something thats about 33% of the true resolution at that point. Is this still viable for focus, color, contrast (if you trusted it before, that is)? Im thinking of how future proof it would be, in other words.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by vainlord View Post
    I recently got a 7" field monitor and for accurate focus it's crucial, at least if you only have a 3" display with no magnification feature as i do.
    which one do you have?

[/QUOTE]It's also help with exposure and framing as my camera LCD is all but trust worthy as far as exposure goes, [/QUOTE]

this means that you field monitor is calibrated then? or else how could you trust it?

9. Collapse Details
    I got the Aputure VS-3 7" (native 1024x600). Yes according to the manufacturer it's "pre-calibrated" (color) from the factory, you can of course change it manually if you want as well. To check the exposure i use Zebras.

Now this is a entry level field monitor that cost no more then pocket change. Still it got some neat features at this price.

Pros

Price
    Features (many like the far more expensive models and brands has)
    Resolution (at this price)
    24 months warranty
    comes with battery (in Sweden at least)

Cons

A bit bulky for a 7" field monitor
    No battery indicator or way to check the battery

Last edited by vainlord; 05-17-2014 at 01:05 AM.
    Regards
    Paul L.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by vainlord View Post
    Thanks Paul.

The price i found it is close to $400.... I guess we're not in the same league because to me $400 is a lot of money!!!! :-)

Do you have access to shortcut menu using the screen?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast