Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    audio bug discovered
    A poster on the facebook gh4 user group posted this problem and I have confirmed it with mine. When monitoring audio with headphones and having an external mic plugged directly into the camera, there is an audible buzz in the headphones. This buzz is NOT recorded onto the sd card. The buzz is somehow tied to the shutter speed, as changing the shutter speed between 1/2 sec and 1/60th of a second alters the frequency of the buzz. The buzz increases in volume with the cameras gain settings.

I use a juiced link box and have the camera gain settings pulled all the way down and that makes the buzz nearly imperceptible, but it's still there. The good news is that it doesn't get recorded but This is a huge bummer for folks who want to plug a mic straight into the camera without any sort of preamp. I'd appreciate it if others could verify these results and post in this thread.

2. Collapse Details
    In this video around 7:50 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NgtBUIQPbM ) it was shown that the camera has an option in the menus to monitor recorded audio vs live audio, have you noticed the buzz in both "real time" and "recorded sound" settings or is exclusive to the "realtime" default setting?

3. Collapse Details
    yep tried both realtime setting and rec sound setting. Buzz is heard in both.

4. Collapse Details
    I just experienced this myself today and was about to post about it when I saw this thread. My setup was a lav microphone plugged into a Tascam DR-40. The Tascam is then connected to the GH4 via line out into the Mic port on the camera. Then I have headphones plugged into the GH4 to monitor.

I could hear a very discernible buzz over the headphones. I switched from "real time" to "recorded sound" and the buzz was there in both settings.

However, the actual sound recorded to the SD card sounds crystal clear. Which is a big relief. Just be aware that the buzzing seems to be a bug, but it doesn't affect the recording.

EDIT: I should add that the exact same setup on my GH3 doesn't produce the buzzing sound, but it does on the GH4. Thankfully the recorded audio sounds perfect, so it's not a huge deal. But Panasonic should address this somehow.
    Last edited by Jaime Valles; 05-07-2014 at 06:01 AM.
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

5. Collapse Details
    I wonder what would be the best way to report that bug to Panasonic. I should probably test it as well.

6. Collapse Details
    I just posted it to their facebook wall. I don't use twitter, but if any of you do, i'd suggest hitting them up there as well. Here's a link to a video I recorded by shoving my phone into the headphones to try and illustrate the point.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/erup7yknge...2003.38.42.mp4

7. Collapse Details
    Gah, I was hoping the audio was going to be decent on the GH4. Good to hear the recording is, but having a buzz in your headphones is a drag. What if you you have an actual audio buzz elsewhere in your audio chain, you will never be able to tell when recording to the GH4 whether the buzz is from the camera or somewhere else in the chain. I will be using the Tascam DR60 so I guess monitoring off of the Tascam is an option, as long as you check the meters on the GH4 to make sure it is recording the audio and spot check it?
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    That sounds like a plan, I will be using the Tascam as well. I am going to do some tests tomorrow with it and the GH4 and see if I get the buzz.

9. Collapse Details
    Hey can anyone help me out and just try this little test to confirm this bug, I'm currently in a dialog with panasonic on their facebook page about this issue. I only have one other person that has confirmed it so far. Here's the steps to reproduce the bug.

1. adjust the manual audio gain in camera to it's highest setting (the buzz is audible at all settings but this will make it most obvious)
    2. adjust the headphone volume to it's highest setting in camera menu
    3. plug in headphones
    4. Plug any cable into the mic in jack on the camera
    5. adjust the shutter speed between 1/2 and 1/60 (the buzz should change frequency in correlation with the shutter speed)
    6. Report back here.

Thanks in advanced!
    Tim

10. Collapse Details
    Yes, the buzz is present on my unit as well.

Not sure what other people think, but to me this is one of those bugs that must be fixed faster than anything else (meaning in a week or two). I just can't see people (I'm talking about the ones who record internally and monitor their audio through their cameras) using their units/dealing/living with that bug and patiently waiting months for the firmware update (months, because in my experience it takes time for a new firmwares to come out).

Lets just all hope it's not hardware and it can be fixed fast enough.
    Last edited by KMA_WWC; 05-07-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast