Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Mid-range zoom suggestions?
    I've been shooting a lot of docu-style work that requires a zoom lens with constant aperture (I have the 14-140, but I hate the way it adjusts as I zoom). I have a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 that does OK for wides (especially with a focal reducer / speedbooster), but I've been looking for something more mid-rangeish.

I'd love that 35-100 2.8 native Lumix zoom, but the price on it is out of my budget at the moment. I picked up a 35-105 f/3.5 FD zoom because some folks recommended it a while back, and the price was definitely right. The range is good, but I actually don't like the look of it. I can't really explain it, even with a speedbooster (I thought maybe I'd like it more if there was more light), the colors and contrast just don't hold up compared to my primes or Tamron zoom.

So I'm trying to find something else in that range. I'm open to anything in EOS, Nikon or FD mount (or anything that can be adapted to any of the above).
    Something with constant aperture, hopefully a wide one like a 2.8, but I'm open to anything that would make the colors "pop" as consistently as my other lenses do.

2. Collapse Details
    I've heard that the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 zoom is very good. I would try and find it in Nikon mount.

3. Collapse Details
    Yikes, that's almost as much as the Lumix equivalent!

4. Collapse Details
    Look for a used, slightly older non-OS version... Smaller and cheaper, should be in the $500 range

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dishan View Post
    Yikes, that's almost as much as the Lumix equivalent!
    Craig's List Toronto : Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 for $350

6. Collapse Details
    I have a number of Olympus OM Zuiko lens from the 80's that I quite like on my G6. Many of them are very cost effective.

One of particular interest is the 75-150 f/4.0 It is constant appurture and parafocal, meaning it stays in focus through out the zoom range.

Here are the specs
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ls/75150mm.htm

Here's where it can be had in EX shape for $43 right now !!!
    http://www.keh.com/search?store=came...lass&k=olympus 75-150&s=1&bcode=Brand&ccode=Class&grade=Grade&sprice =0&eprice=0&r=SE&e

While not the fastest lens available it has very good image quality especially for sharpness, color and contrast.

Other OM Zuiko zooms worth looking at are the 35-70 f/3.6, 35-70 f/4.0 and the holy grail 35-80 f/2.8

I much prefer the image from the OM Zuiko's over the FD and AIS lenses. Their color is way less muddy to me. YMMV

Cheers,
    Pete

7. Collapse Details
    I second the FD 35-105's washed out color and lack of contrast. Its a fantastic range and a fantastic value at the current street price- internal zoom, macro mode, solid build quality, constant aperture... I also want to love it more than I do, but even on a speedbooster, I'm having trouble being impressed with the images from it.

Wish I could find similar enough alternatives in vintage glass. I don't *need* this range, its just fun to play with, so there's a limit to how much I'm willing to spend. That Zuiko lens C3hammer mentioned sounds nice, but I don't have any OM mount lenses (and therefore don't have adapters either) so I can't vouch for it. Otherwise, it looks like only modern glass will have the characteristics you are looking for.

Making movies, and the internet a happier place.
    Twitter: @theRombus
    Click Here to view my Techcitement articles

Sony | Panasonic | Canon
    Vintage lens fanatic | More accessories than I care to list anymore

8. Collapse Details
    I've got a Sigma 50-150 Nikon mount (older version) I'd let go for $425 shipped / paypal. Really nice lens. I'm moving over to MFT glass for my zooms so I don't use it.

9. Collapse Details
    I've been on a similar search for my GH2 and AF100. Began with the FD 35-105, but found the 1.5m minimum focus limiting.

Presently I mainly use Sigma 50-150mm (old version), Nikon mount, with a Nik-4/3 speedbooster. I can recommend that combination if you can find a used lens, although it is quite bulky and with speedbooster does vignette somewhat on my GH2.

Two other possibilities: (1) Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 SP (A09) with or without Speedbooster. Sharp like the 17-50mm, particularly if you get the gold-band (Japan) vs blackband (China) version. Main disadvantage is its short focus throw.

(2) Vivitar 70-150mm f3.8 (or Kiron equivalent) with speedbooster. Call me crazy but .... my copy is actually very similar in sharpness and look to the Sigma 50-150! Yes, it's a stop slower and reduced zoom range. But it's also much smaller, MUCH cheaper, and doen't vignette with speedbooster on my GH2!
    Last edited by GrahamH; 06-03-2014 at 07:54 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cameras: AF-100, G7 (formerly G6, GH2, HMC-40) -- Lenses: Lumix, legacy Nikons with Speedbooster -- NLEs: Premiere and AfterFX CS6 and CC on PC

10. Collapse Details
    That's strange, I use the non-OS 50-150 with Nikon SpeedBooster on GH2 and don't have any vignetting

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast