Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Have you ever adapted another property? I'd be interested in any tips on how to approach a prose adaption.

2. Collapse Details
    My script tip on adapting...

http://www.scriptsecrets.net/tips/tip309.htm

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks William, this article is a big help. I had all those questions floating around in my head piecemeal but didn't have the roadmap to address them. Tip 4 in particular is going to help crack this thing open. He's the kind of author that doesn't start pulling together the esoteric threads until near the end. He's also fond of deeply multilayered themes that would be a confusing mess on film. I feel much more confident in focussing and restructuring the story now. Amazing how a few short paragraphs of advice can sharpen your tools.
    Last edited by Egg Born Son; 07-02-2014 at 05:59 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    I keep getting the, 'if you lived in LA I could work with you' answer. Is that complete BS. I mean it's a screenplay, I type it on a computer, it's bits of data that can be transmitted across the internet, who cares where I live?
    Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |

5. Collapse Details
    Most of the time a screenplay is just a job application for an assignment, a job just like any other job... the boss wants to peek in every once in a while and make sure you're working. But even if the buy your spec, that's not the end of it: you end doing seemingly endless rewrites and seemingly endless meetings where they give you notes on those rewrites. At first it might be you and the development executive, but as things get closer to production more and more people (often with conflicting notes) enter the process and you find yourself in a room with a dozen people. That becomes difficult to do with Skype.

I sold my first "Hollywood script" to Paramount when I was living out of town. They flew me in, put me up, had a meeting with me, sent me home to rewrite. So they can make it work if you live out of town... but, since that's going to cost them, they *really* have to want your script.

Bill

6. Collapse Details
    There are millions of things to learn in screenwriting, I'm still learning things after doing it professionally for 24 plus years...

So, Questions?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by wcmartell View Post
    There are millions of things to learn in screenwriting, I'm still learning things after doing it professionally for 24 plus years...
    This should be true of almost anything. What should become apparent is that our learning will stop when we're dead.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by wcmartell View Post

So, Questions?
    At the moment I'm getting ready to go on a train trip to Milwaukee. I plan to shoot a short film that I wrote several years ago later this year, and now have been participating in a group that I can work with to get it made.

Every year my 'new year's resolution' is to make at least 4 shorts in the coming year... it looks like I'll only make one of my own and work on 3 other films that other people wrote, where I was predominantly working in a 'cinematographer' capacity... ok... I did re-write one person's script from a set of notes he had...

I did give the group a short presentation on 'scriptwriting' pretty much from a simple mechanical point of view, and did drop your name and amazon URL... don't know if anyone bought any books though...

I may take the time on the train to review the short film script, so perhaps I'll have questions or doubts then.

9. Collapse Details
    Thank you!

Doubts are fine, they help you figure out the solution to problems ahead of time. You just have to know how to *use* doubts. Many people have doubts and don't do anything (except worry)... and it cripples them. If you're preparing to shoot a feature and you have doubts about being able to work those long hours, you can prep by getting in better shape. If you have doubts about whether this character works in your script, you can rewrite it until your doubts have disappeared. As long as doubts lead to some action, you're okay. Most of what I've learned in life is due to not wanting to look like a complete idiot.

Yes, I haven't quite succeeded.

Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12