1. Collapse Details
    Understanding the H/PHONE Mode setting
    Question
    I'm trying to understand the repercussions of using each of the settings in the "other" category of the AG-AC90, but cannot really understand what the manual is saying. What do you make of this?:

[H/PHONE MODE]
    Selects the sound heard through the headphones.
    [LIVE]: The sound which has been input from the microphone is output as is. This setting is selected when delays in the sound are annoying.
    [RECORDING]: The sound in the status which is to be recorded (the sound synchronized with the images) is output.
    -When this unit is connected to a TV using the HDMI cable (optional), audio at the time of the [RECORDING] setting is output even if this setting is set to [LIVE].

I notice that there is a delay between the live action and what comes into the headphones when monitoring the audio. I assume the above has to do with this, but this verbiage seems confusing to me.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OmShiva View Post
    I'm trying to understand the repercussions of using each of the settings in the "other" category of the AG-AC90, but cannot really understand what the manual is saying. What do you make of this?:

[H/PHONE MODE]
    Selects the sound heard through the headphones.
    [LIVE]: The sound which has been input from the microphone is output as is. This setting is selected when delays in the sound are annoying.
    [RECORDING]: The sound in the status which is to be recorded (the sound synchronized with the images) is output.
    -When this unit is connected to a TV using the HDMI cable (optional), audio at the time of the [RECORDING] setting is output even if this setting is set to [LIVE].

I notice that there is a delay between the live action and what comes into the headphones when monitoring the audio. I assume the above has to do with this, but this verbiage seems confusing to me.
    Agreed - the language is confusing. Try both and see which you prefer. Mine sounds better/clearer on [Live].
    Check out my videos here: http://www.youtube.com/24Peter

3. Collapse Details
    I too thought that [live] made sense to use, even though it defaults to [recording], however [recording] implies that it is the only choice which syncs the sound with the images. When would it ever be desirable to have non-synced audio/why even provide that option?

Looks like I'll need to do a comparison test to be sure there is no disadvantage to using [live].

4. Collapse Details
    Mine is set to live as well to avoid the latency.

Al

5. Collapse Details
    And no issues with A/V sync?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OmShiva View Post
    I too thought that [live] made sense to use, even though it defaults to [recording], however [recording] implies that it is the only choice which syncs the sound with the images. When would it ever be desirable to have non-synced audio/why even provide that option?

Looks like I'll need to do a comparison test to be sure there is no disadvantage to using [live].
    Well just to be clear, I don't think the choice of headphone mode affects what is actually recorded. I'm pretty sure there is no affect on your video and the recorded audio is in perfect sync with your recorded video. I think this is just a monitoring issue. And it is just to deal with a slight latency in the monitor that perhaps drives some folks nuts?
    Check out my videos here: http://www.youtube.com/24Peter

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks 24Peter. I'll post my test results to help any other people who are questioning this issue.