Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    Tali’s Playtime is indeed a masterpiece, although I generally prefer the observant humor of Mon Oncle.

There’s so many things wrong with the Cion and they’re all the classic things one would expect from a first try at making a camera. The same NAB was when BMD came out with its first camera and I was at dinner with some designers of such products and we went through the list of things we expected each probably had wrong. Most of them turned out to be true in one way or another. My perspective was the long term one: nobody gets it right the first time because you have to learn from the mistakes and traps the hard way. It’s when you get to the fourth or fifth iteration that it can become something formidable. AJA gave up after the Cion (except for an industrial camera) but I think my argument played out quite accurately over time with BMD. Much the same could also be said for RED, Kinifinity and others.

The Cion suffers from a whole bunch of first time issues. Be warned!
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Tali’s Playtime is indeed a masterpiece, although I generally prefer the observant humor of Mon Oncle.

There’s so many things wrong with the Cion and they’re all the classic things one would expect from a first try at making a camera. The same NAB was when BMD came out with its first camera and I was at dinner with some designers of such products and we went through the list of things we expected each probably had wrong. Most of them turned out to be true in one way or another. My perspective was the long term one: nobody gets it right the first time because you have to learn from the mistakes and traps the hard way. It’s when you get to the fourth or fifth iteration that it can become something formidable. AJA gave up after the Cion (except for an industrial camera) but I think my argument played out quite accurately over time with BMD. Much the same could also be said for RED, Kinifinity and others.

The Cion suffers from a whole bunch of first time issues. Be warned!
    True, I keep forgetting this camera is a gen 1. That is different than a DVX100, which was made by an establish video camera maker, as well as being a second iteration on top of that. I can see your point about many of the things that could be wrong with the Cion.

There is something to the colour science that feels pretty and realistic at the same time. And it has all the things like XLR etc built in, so it looked appealing as a fun play camera, but I keep forgetting it could have other annoying attributes that would possibly even make it not fun for hobby use.

3. Collapse Details
    Have you ever used a Ki Pro Quad? Ever try to navigate its menu? Same interface on Cion (and I mean literally, because the back half of the camera is essentially a rehoused Ki Pro Quad.

You know the SSDs where all your recordings go? Friction fit on the top of camera. Don’t go running around handheld.

It only gets worse from there.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Have you ever used a Ki Pro Quad? Ever try to navigate its menu? Same interface on Cion (and I mean literally, because the back half of the camera is essentially a rehoused Ki Pro Quad.

You know the SSDs where all your recordings go? Friction fit on the top of camera. Donít go running around handheld.

It only gets worse from there.
    I've used the Kipro mini. That menu was.... well, it had options for settings.

Friction fit? Yikes. WTH!?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234