Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I've been looking at the old Cion's again.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    I've been looking at the old Cion's again.
    Good Lord, why?
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Good Lord, why?
    Because all the other cameras suck too.

4. Collapse Details
    Because all the other cameras suck too.
    There's suck and there's SUCK.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

5. Collapse Details
    There's suck and there's SUCK.
    Ha, I remember when you were telling me about the AF100.... times have changed.

6. Collapse Details
    Ha, I remember when you were telling me about the AF100.... times have changed.
    Times have certainly changed indeed, and there are good reasons time relegated this one to the scrap heap.
    Last edited by Mitch Gross; 09-19-2020 at 10:44 PM. Reason: typo
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

7. Collapse Details
    The colour science looks nice, and i like the idea of the challenge of 8stops dynamic range. Unite can be had for $1,500. If they go lower, then i may acquire one.

8. Collapse Details
    Just don't plan on taking it on any paying gigs. Expect to use it as a toy at home. If you take it out in the field you'll discover a number of issues that will frustrate you to no end, and may easily ruin a shoot.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

9. Collapse Details
    Hey I was looking at one on eBay yesterday. Then I got smart and reread the reviews after it finally came out. I just closed the window and slowly backed away!

10. Collapse Details
    Just don't plan on taking it on any paying gigs. Expect to use it as a toy at home. If you take it out in the field you'll discover a number of issues that will frustrate you to no end, and may easily ruin a shoot.
    Oh right, yeah, I'd never use one for gig-work. that would be insanity. Also, I wouldn't need a camera to go below $1500 if I thought I could use it for work...

But I've have an assortment of vintage cameras that I like playing with. The AJA Cion has nice colours, but intensely limited DR by today's standards (even by 2010 standards, hehe). I shot with a DVX100 a couple weeks ago, and really enjoyed the simplicity of the image. Such low resolution, really made me remember the ECU was a thing... I get more detail in a medium shot these days. But what I enjoyed about the limits of resolution, was how much I forced me to tell the story, because it allowed me to withhold information in details, unless I really chose to show them. Shooting in SD makes one more aware of those choices. IN 4K and 8K, you kind of see it all in a medium. Can even see quite a bit in an 8K wide, ....which is another strength. They all have their pros and cons. If a director wanted to play a whole film out in wide shots, I might suggest 8K. There is a classic French comedy that shot on 65mm or some large format for a comedy that played out primarily in wide-shots, with physical humour. The extra resolution helped. I saw it in HD, but hope to see it in 4K someday. Not that I missed much in the HD version, but HD definitely doesn't resolve some of those finer details.

With the AJA Cion, I see a camera that has some good and some bad, I'd like to see how it makes me shoot differently. For creative projects or learning, there really is no such thing as a bad camera. The CION is better than what they had in the 1800's anyway.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast