Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by edithouse View Post
    Can't beat this for $295. A ProRes 422 recorder and some velcro can stick anywhere, record anything
    Considering the cost of the CFast cards the BMD hyperdeck shuttle 2 and an SSD beats it.

2. Collapse Details
    So, would the Star be a viable way to record ProRes 4:2:2 from the GH4? Also, would the Star stop/record from the camera?
    Regards,

Mark

GH5, Panasonic 12-60, 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
    Video channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/3523
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29#1/2063

3. Collapse Details
    Nice to see CFast catching on. This, Amira, and Ursa.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by squig View Post
    Grrr. Seriously who gives a crap about 422, it's barely any better than most internal codecs. They could at least add 4444 to the blades.
    What would be the point of adding 4:4:4? Anyone shooting with one of these types of recorders is probably not using a camera that outputs 4:4:4, so a 4:4:4 recorder tied to a 4:2:2 camera doesn't give you anything. And anyone using a camera that does output 4:4:4 probably has a budget for something better than a $300 recorder.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
    So, would the Star be a viable way to record ProRes 4:2:2 from the GH4? Also, would the Star stop/record from the camera?
    Yes, it will trigger according to the product page, and it should record the 4:2:2 HD from the GH4, although the page doesn't say if the Star is 10 bit or 8 bit.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by thedarkhorse View Post
    Considering the cost of the CFast cards the BMD hyperdeck shuttle 2 and an SSD beats it.
    not for size, portability, and convenience, which can be worth a lot. Also note that it's CFast 1, not CFast 2... still pricey per GB, but nowhere as ridiculous as CFast 2

7. Collapse Details
    It doesn't according to Jeremy Young, I was just watching the terra deck live feed from NAB.

The panasonic team is still working on implementing stop start time code over hdmi.

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Cfast card: Why?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Harvey View Post
    What would be the point of adding 4:4:4? Anyone shooting with one of these types of recorders is probably not using a camera that outputs 4:4:4, so a 4:4:4 recorder tied to a 4:2:2 camera doesn't give you anything. And anyone using a camera that does output 4:4:4 probably has a budget for something better than a $300 recorder.
    ProRes 422 introduces artifacts in the shadows and blocky areas, ProRes 4444 doesn't. It's about the bitrate. 422 is ok in a lot of situations but if you push it too far it will break. 4444 is a lot more solid. I want 4444 for the Sony A7s, the only recorder I know that does it is the Pix240i. You'd think in a time when we're shooting raw and 4k people would be looking for higher quality than ProRes 422.
    gamma-movie.com The Indie Gathering 2016 Sci-Fi feature screenplay award winner.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by squig View Post
    ... You'd think in a time when we're shooting raw and 4k people would be looking for higher quality than ProRes 422.
    It depends on your intended purposes. Everything I shoot is AVCHD, and rarely is it an issue. Many folks aren't doing a ton of color correction, so there isn't a need for those higher bitrates. Raw or 4:4:4 is useless to my clients (and thus me), and I think I'm the intended audience for this recorder.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast