Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Internal NDs are indispensable when shooting documentary/run+gun as a one-man-band.
    FS7 | EVA1 | Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 | Zeiss CP.2 Set EF+PL
    Espionage Films | Cinematographer | Los Angeles
    DaveDP.com

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    never thought i'd say this, but your comment makes me say: my, how times have changed.
    Times are changing, and they are changing fast...even for those of us in the industry it is sometimes difficult to catch up...I agree

3. Collapse Details
    Superb camera

4. Collapse Details
    I really like the possibility of this camera. These are excellent specs and a very handsome design from a strong company. If the IQ is good, this is a nice package at a very good price that is right in my wheel house on a year that I will be upgrading. Now about that removable lens mount ... ;)

5. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Yes it seems to be lighter than the Blackmagic offering - the sensor though - we have to see its native ISO and 12 stops of dynamic range is decent if its allocated to the high lights.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dcarstens View Post
    Internal NDs are indispensable when shooting documentary/run+gun as a one-man-band.
    With how insanely sensitive cameras are now it really should be standard for cameras to have internal ND filters now for a couple of reasons.

1) Different sensors respond to IR pollution and color shifts in different ways. The internal ND's can be tuned to account for this
    2) I'd rather have my ND behind the lens than in front. In front of the lens ND filters are going to change the characteristics of the lens more and tend to cause unwanted flaring.
    3) The ND filters can be higher quality and more efficient because they only have to be as large as the image sensor, not as large as the front element of the lens.

I was shooting an indie feature last year on the F5 and we had the 2 stop internal ND active for most of the film just in order shoot at our desired stop of 2.8 That's what happens when you are shooting on a camera rated at 2000 asa.
    "Without the Chaos, there would be no happy accidents"

7. Collapse Details
    It looks sweet for sure. But echoing what someone said earlier, while PL mount is great for purists / people with deep pockets, I think most people would benefit more from an EF mount or something with cheaper lenses. Since it is PL mount, I'm assuming that it's suppose to be a cinema camera more than anything, but then shouldn't it have more than 12 stops of DR in 2014 to be true cinema camera?

And yeah, no internal NDs can be a big workflow hit. Putting on a Matte box at all times can be a serious pain for a run-and-gun type deal.

But damn, it's so well thought out and it does look so beautiful.
    -------
    Entire Portfolio: http://www.builtbyugene.com/index.html

8. Collapse Details
    Looks ***pre-alpha*** although it was demonstrated in much lower light than BM. From the rep "it's basically a KiPro with a sensor in front" let's see what happens when this is vetted by the community. Form factor like a big brick somewhat similar to the BM URSA.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gene_can_sing View Post
    It looks sweet for sure. But echoing what someone said earlier, while PL mount is great for purists / people with deep pockets, I think most people would benefit more from an EF mount or something with cheaper lenses. Since it is PL mount, I'm assuming that it's suppose to be a cinema camera more than anything, but then shouldn't it have more than 12 stops of DR in 2014 to be true cinema camera?

And yeah, no internal NDs can be a big workflow hit. Putting on a Matte box at all times can be a serious pain for a run-and-gun type deal.

But damn, it's so well thought out and it does look so beautiful.
    I had the same impression about the PL mount initially, although after watching the launch video it appears the lens mount is removable, which to me suggests the possibility of new mounts down the line. It would be stupid not to offer them. This camera seems like it's gunning to be the mortal man's Amira, and even that camera offers an EF mount.

Cannot wait to see more footage from this camera!

10. Collapse Details
    This will hurt RED the most. All the Scarlet guys who are waiting for the Dragon upgrades will instead buy this camera at the same price which they would have spent for upgrading. And they get industry standard protocols. It is great that one can shoot in prores.

If they can include an EF mount, then it will be good. Look forward to more footage.
    Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c_d_WUXs5Q The Aja rep in this interview says that they have left it to the third party manufacturers to create other mounts for the Cion.
    Last edited by indiawilds; 04-08-2014 at 12:26 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast