Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
  1. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I wish they simply finished existing line of cameras and fix all the issues bugging them. Then if they improved MFT version- better body design, active mount, maybe change hardware and allow for higher frame rates. They had a sensor, they had color science and experience. It simply looks like at this point BM is pumping out a whole bunch of half baked products, creating constant workarounds. Sorry, but shaking things up from time to time can be good, but constant shaking leads to trauma. And I think this is where BM is heading.

2. Collapse Details
    I feel like they jumped the shark with the big monitor and the various displays. Folks have asked a lot of BM after the launch of the BMCC and they did a great job answering them like balanced line audio input, camera ergos, power, etc. The switchable sensor idea is great. I just feel they went off in a strange direction making it so big and putting that monitor on it. It's like they had a bunch of them and had to figure out what to do with them.

3. Collapse Details
    It's an interesting thought. What seems more likely to me, is that BM had a timeline laid out to put camera products into all the spaces they serve with their other products. DSLR, Mid-Range, Cinema, and broadcast. Pocket, BMCC, BMPC/URSA, StudioHD/Studdio 4K.

I think the issues with the sensors hit them by surprise. I think their timeline was too aggressive and couldn't be addressed properly because they were spread thin on finishing their product timelines. Ultimately, they would have had to face the choice of whether to stop on their timeline and fix issues, or finish the timeline and live with the issues. Finishing the timeline causes some headaches on the internet as people get mad that things aren't addressed. But it gives advantages in other ways. The BMCC is the odd duck. It's got a sensor not shared by the other products. To me, it feels the most sorted out, and I truly love mine. All the 4K cameras are sharing a sensor. Fix the issue for one, and you fix it for all. The Pocket and the StudioHD camera share a sensor. Those are probably the biggest sellers (or potential sellers), and the issues with them have been addressed quickly. The Studio/4K, URSA, and BMPC will share a sensor, and that sensor needs the most work right now. That is likely their next target since it will sit in their flagship camera.

I think at this point, they can wind back on the camera development a bit, and try to concentrate more on the firmware side of things. NAB is over and it's movie-making season. I'm rooting for BM a lot like I did for RED. Disruptive products at reasonable prices. Forcing others to compete or lose.

I sit here needing to buy a new camera for work. My realistic choices are sony pxw-z100, AJA CION, BM URSA, BMPC, BMCC. Each brings it's on set of issues.
    Don't be a BillyBob...

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112