Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    NAB 2014: Adobe Reveals Next Wave of Premiere Pro CC, After Effects, Speedgrade (vid)
    Exclamation
    Adobe revealed the next major updates of
    Premiere Pro CC, After Effects CC, Speedgrade CC, Audition CC, Prelude CC and Media Encoder.

Momentum: Adobe at NAB 2014

2. Collapse Details
    MASKING IN Premiere Pro! That's great, been wanting a full masking tool in PP for a while.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by pkw11 View Post
    Why do I need CC? When I bought Production Premium CS6, it was advertised as being a great product. And I've used it for quite a while and I'm very pleased with it. All of a sudden CS6 Adobe is trying to tell me that CS6 is a piece of junk and I need to go to their NEW and improved subscribtion plan.

For the part-time amateur doc filmmaker like me, I don't NEED CC. I may only work on my project for 2 days a month--I have a real job. But I have access to CS6 always, this changes drastically with CC obviously.

With the old plan, my value to Adobe was equal to the industry professional. Now, if I go to CC I end up paying through the nose--Adobe's plan is to make me pay just like professionals who use CC everyday.

At my day job which is in medical research, we lease all kinds of software and equipment. And it makes economic and business sense to do so. After all, in science many machines are obsolete in 5 or 7 years. Software is only needed for specific projects or until something better comes along. And besides, how many people are doing molecular biology experiments in their garage at home?

With video it's easy and relatively cheap to do as a hobby or as an amateur filmmaker. This is good for the market since it results in lots of new customers. Adobe like a lot of software makers is trying to turn everyone into a business customer. I think that this will absolutely backfire on them.

I'm going to keep using CS6 for the forseeable future--it does everything that I need. Shooting talking heads with my HVX200a doesn't require editing capabilities beyond what is currently available in CS6. Simple documentary films don't need a whole lot of new technology. And please don't tell me that the junk on Discovery or History Channel is the future of doc filmmaking. I dropped Dish Network years ago, but that's for another discussion.

By the time Windows 7 goes under or the software breaks, I'm sure that other alternatives will be available.
    The reason Adobe went to CC is for one simple short word: Piracy.
    It is absolutely impossible to sell a general release product like the Creative Suite and maintain a hold on it.
    Within hours of CS6's release there were pirate copies on the net. These are downloaded tens of thousands of times.
    I know of absolutely no student anywhere in the field of image making who is using a paid for copy for instance.
    Businesses regularly pay for new "seats", individuals don't. The only way to keep the private market from drying up
    is to sell them a subscription.
    In fact Davinci Resolve is now given away for free as a loss leader in order to sell the hardwire behind it for Blackmagic.
    It has thus become the defacto color correction tool. Five years ago it cost $30,000.
    Adobe doesn't have any hardware to sell, their business model thus depends on your need to update. Even if there really isn't any need any more.
    When operating systems move forward and camera companies churn out new versions of RAW or new codec's, eventually you will have to go to their subscription model if you want to continue to use your CS.
    That's normal. I hate it too, but they are a business and they have to make money somehow.
    So you are chained to the internet whether you like it or not my friend.
    Last edited by yoclay; 04-02-2014 at 09:41 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Cc was hacked within hours. It isn't piracy. It is simple revenue. They get monthly revenue with this model. With a standard purchase, you may never purchase another product and that revenue is lost. In the industry, it's called stickiness. Cc is stickiness. They keep you using it because you can't stop buying it if you need to use it. Just like the cloud. They get you used to it and then magically, you can't get your data out soon. It will happen. It will likely be something like editing in the cloud or something like that. But, sure enough, it is about stickiness. All that being said, adobe keeps updating their cc software and making it valuable for subscribers. I switched and I do think it is worth it. But, who knows what the future may hold. I personally believe this software model will fail, as will the cloud. I trust me with the data. I don't trust anyone else and we learn that everything out there is useful to someone.....just my opinion

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yoclay View Post
    The reason Adobe went to CC is for one simple short word: Piracy.
    It is absolutely impossible to sell a general release product like the Creative Suite and maintain a hold on it.
    Within hours of CS6's release there were pirate copies on the net. These are downloaded tens of thousands of times.
    I know of absolutely no student anywhere in the field of image making who is using a paid for copy for instance.
    Businesses regularly pay for new "seats", individuals don't. The only way to keep the private market from drying up
    is to sell them a subscription.
    In fact Davinci Resolve is now given away for free as a loss leader in order to sell the hardwire behind it for Blackmagic.
    It has thus become the defacto color correction tool. Five years ago it cost $30,000.
    Adobe doesn't have any hardware to sell, their business model thus depends on your need to update. Even if there really isn't any need any more.
    When operating systems move forward and camera companies churn out new versions of RAW or new codec's, eventually you will have to go to their subscription model if you want to continue to use your CS.
    That's normal. I hate it too, but they are a business and they have to make money somehow.
    So you are chained to the internet whether you like it or not my friend.
    Adobe CC was pirated in one day. Let me repeat that....ONE DAY!
    http://fstoppers.com/adobe-photoshop...n-just-one-day
    http://www.cnet.com/news/that-was-qu...ready-pirated/

If their motivation for going to CC was to stop piracy, lets just say it was a failure of epic proportions.
    On the other hand, my guess is that their motivation for going to CC was to make them more money.
    More money in their pocket means less in mine. That makes my decision pretty easy. Buh bye Adobe,
    barely got to know you.

6. Collapse Details
    It's OK to complain about the subscription model but right now the price for a year if you got a product before, like the Production Premium, is great.

The problem will come when that offer disappears. If they create a Media Production CC and keep the bill low I'll stay with them. If they rise it, there's plenty of great products out there to substitute what Adobe has. Lightworks,the Corel family, Manga and Anime studio, Toon Boom, Hitfilm, Da Vinci Resolve, Sound Forge, Krita, Blender, Inkspace, Gimp. You lose some functions Adobe has as a suite and how well they work, but it depends of the use you give the software, the expectations and how much money you can save over the period of not just one year, but maybe two or three as a real number.

7. Collapse Details
    The new features are just OK. New colors in Audition - meh. It looks like they are making the integration closer to AE, sliding some of the available functionality over to PP. That's good but nothing new in terms of functionality, just uncovering stuff that was there for people who work in AE already.

Is anyone working with the cloud out there? I wonder how the heck that's going to work as file sizes grow. Maybe it's ok for some of the other stuff like for the photoshop people but 1 hour of Sony RAW is 512GB. Anyone going to wait around for that to download? upload?

8. Collapse Details
    I have never been able to get Adobe subscription to work with my main iMac.
    I tried it with my other iMac that has the latest version of Mac OSX, etc and
    still had glitches.
    I don't have the confidence to move forward and doubt I will.
    Adobe really needs to get their head out of the clouds.

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanhurba View Post
    It's OK to complain about the subscription model but right now the price for a year if you got a product before, like the Production Premium, is great.
    What is so great about a price for a product that you do not own, and it will stop working if you do not renew the subscription, and you have to shell out several hundreds of $$$ for a lease! This is the most greedy format one can implement. Usual upgrade cycle was 2 years before, but if the software did fit your need, you could just keep it without any need to pay every year. Removing this option is an example of greed and profiteering at it's best.

10. Collapse Details
    Get on the Adobe help forums. Dozens and dozens of subscription customers dead in the water.
    They get going on a project and then go back to get work done and the software quits working.
    It is the implementation that is horrible. If it was 100% I would have no problem signing up.
    But I cannot spend hours and days troubleshooting and re-installing something that should work.
    I spent hours with Adobe when I tried to sign up. They were clueless and treated me like
    I was an idiot. Says a lot about a company. I have used PhotoShop and AE ever since it came out.
    Hell, my software is older than many of the Adobe techs I talked with.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast