Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I tried to find the reference but couldn't find it. Didn't Ed Burns use this technique on one of his recent movies, lav'ing the actors and recording to a recorder on them? Maybe it was Nice Guy Johnny but it was definitely around that time.

2. Collapse Details
    DVXuser Sponsor
    This is Robert from juicedLink.

Thank you for taking the time to watch the video about the little DARling !

Let me start out with a question:

1) BATTERY LIFE VS SIZE: For my purposes, I want to keep it as small as possible, and 7-8hrs (rought estimate, currently) of battery life is fine. But, I get others who want longer battery life, even if it makes it bigger (AA size bigger). How much battery life is sufficient? Is it really terrible to have to change a battery for the occasions when you have a super-long event?

Let me address some Q's:

1) he is also one of the more awkward guys. Perfect for marketing, as his awkwardness gets burned into your memory, and it is difficult to forget.
    - I posted this on my Facebook page as foddor for my friends. One reply was "You're like the El Camino of the video world, so awkward its beautiful" ... ;)

2) I think cheap is always relative. If it is more expensive than a Sennheiser G3 wireless kit, then I'd say it is too expensive. But even if it is $200, or twice the price of a Zoom H1, I'd consider it being fairly cheap.
    - These havent gone through proper production flow to measure assembly/test time, I haven’t gone through the pricing spreadsheet. Filmmaking is not a very big market. Even so, I think it may come in around the PCM10 territory.

3) That being sad, I'd love if Sound Devices started making something like this, and something that is like a cube transmitter but is just a recorder. I'd love the ability to just plug a small cube into the bottom of any handheld dynamic or shotgun mic & just start recording audio w/o having to have cables & neck straps & etc. around.
    - There is a family of DARs slated. Make sure you are subscribed to the juicedLink Blog.

4) especially if there are nice pre-amps.
    - Yes. juicedLink low-noise preamps.

Thank you,

-Robert
    President of juicedLink

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by RERozak View Post

Thank you for taking the time to watch the video about the little DARling !

Let me start out with a question:

1) BATTERY LIFE VS SIZE: For my purposes, I want to keep it as small as possible, and 7-8hrs (rought estimate, currently) of battery life is fine. But, I get others who want longer battery life, even if it makes it bigger (AA size bigger). How much battery life is sufficient? Is it really terrible to have to change a battery for the occasions when you have a super-long event?

Let me address some Q's:

1) he is also one of the more awkward guys. Perfect for marketing, as his awkwardness gets burned into your memory, and it is difficult to forget.
    - I posted this on my Facebook page as foddor for my friends. One reply was "You're like the El Camino of the video world, so awkward its beautiful" ... ;)

2) I think cheap is always relative. If it is more expensive than a Sennheiser G3 wireless kit, then I'd say it is too expensive. But even if it is $200, or twice the price of a Zoom H1, I'd consider it being fairly cheap.
    - These havent gone through proper production flow to measure assembly/test time, I havenít gone through the pricing spreadsheet. Filmmaking is not a very big market. Even so, I think it may come in around the PCM10 territory.

3) That being sad, I'd love if Sound Devices started making something like this, and something that is like a cube transmitter but is just a recorder. I'd love the ability to just plug a small cube into the bottom of any handheld dynamic or shotgun mic & just start recording audio w/o having to have cables & neck straps & etc. around.
    - There is a family of DARs slated. Make sure you are subscribed to the juicedLink Blog.

4) especially if there are nice pre-amps.
    - Yes. juicedLink low-noise preamps.

Thank you,

-Robert
    I whole-heartedly believe 'confident', 'awkward', and 'beautiful' can all be exhibited simultaneously.

Thanks for the answers.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by hscully View Post
    Didn't Ed Burns use this technique on one of his recent movies, lav'ing the actors and recording to a recorder on them?
    Zaxcom has wireless transmitters that can record audio & have time code (for a number of years at least). Even though Robert hasn't said how much the Little DARling is going to be, I'm pretty sure it'll be much cheaper than the Zaxcom units.

http://zaxcom.net/product_categories...-transceivers/
    Where are all the S-VHS hipsters?

5. Collapse Details
    DVXuser Sponsor
    Hey guys ... let's not forget about my question ... a little help ...

BATTERY LIFE VS SIZE: For my purposes, I want to keep it as small as possible, and 7-8hrs (rought estimate, currently) of battery life is fine. But, I get others who want longer battery life, even if it makes it bigger (AA size bigger). How much battery life is sufficient? Is it really terrible to have to change a battery for the occasions when you have a super-long event?
    -R
    President of juicedLink

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by RERozak View Post

Thank you,

-Robert
    It is more of maintenance issue. You have been using the thing for 5hrs. Do you: change out the battery now? or, use a model with 12hr life so that you can leave it on the subject all day, and or use it for two days without thinking?

In a wedding environment, lighter smaller, 7hrs is ok.

In a one man band travel doc, or experimental filmmaker, or "tight deadlines-the last things you want to think about is sound!-professional use", then a 12+hr model would be far more welcome. Because camera guys do not prioritize all of their gear the same.

Anything to prevent a battery swap mid day would help. 2 AA can be a bit more bulky, but I do not think it is all that bad.

Tracking down 5 separate recorders and monitoring their battery life would be a logistical nightmare in the real world, for a camera operator. I would have far more peace of mind if they could last all day. 12 is a minimum for me. 24 is better. 7-8 is tempting, but would reduce my desire to invest.

The light weight of the single AA is nice for the subjects, no doubt.

One thing I am unsure of, is how to check sound? How to make sure the unit is operating normally?
    Last edited by James0b57; 03-28-2014 at 12:31 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    I'm curious if you could get 12hr from a different type of battery. I know years ago when I've put budget AA batteries into a digital camera I'd get about 10 pictures or less with the flash before the batteries were dead. If I spent more money on the advanced high blah blah AA batteries, I could get 40-60 pictures or more.

James0b57, I agree that 12 hours would be nice, but I don't expect 12 hours from any device the I normally use from a single battery. Sennheiser G3 units, Lectrosonics, Zoom H4, etc. So personally if I can get 7-8 hours on a rechargeable AA battery, I'd be happy.
    Where are all the S-VHS hipsters?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by zijital View Post
    I'm curious if you could get 12hr from a different type of battery. I know years ago when I've put budget AA batteries into a digital camera I'd get about 10 pictures or less with the flash before the batteries were dead. If I spent more money on the advanced high blah blah AA batteries, I could get 40-60 pictures or more.

James0b57, I agree that 12 hours would be nice, but I don't expect 12 hours from any device the I normally use from a single battery. Sennheiser G3 units, Lectrosonics, Zoom H4, etc. So personally if I can get 7-8 hours on a rechargeable AA battery, I'd be happy.
    Wireless units can be monitored and mixed by a dedicated sound person. these unmonitored satellite recorders are a different tool.
    Beside, I am just saying what would be useful to me. 12hrs batt life is what would help me. Anything less and I would start to think of options. I don't want to cause an audio person to lose their job and give myself another audio tool to babysit. As a camera operator, these are not for me.
    Last edited by James0b57; 03-28-2014 at 06:26 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Hi Robert,
    Between size and battery life, I would prefer size. Smaller size would be easier to hide in a talent. If the battery lasts for half a day then it is fine. So that I know if I need full day use, then I will mandatorily change the batteries.

Cost shouldn't be at the PCM 10 levels. Make it cheaper and people will pick up 4-5 each.

10. Collapse Details
    I think my fear around the units is not being able to monitor things like clothes rustling or controlling it when signal jumps off the scale (squealing kids for instance)..but otherwise I think this kind of thing has been sorely needed for a long time.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast