Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    No Intention to Become a Writer, but Want to Sell a Story. Is It Possible?
    Unhappy
    Hello. I am Japanese. Maybe I should not even try, but I finished writing an English script and would like to try to sell this story.
    I have read quite a few sites and posts here, and realized many people try to find agents first. However, I will never even try to write another English script because my English sucks.

But I love my story and I cannot just keep it as a token of my 3 year efforts. What do you think I can do to sell one story in Hollywood?

Of course, I will get it proofread by my generous friends who have experience in screenwriting.
    And this is my fifth draft, already. I speak just enough English, and have worked in the industry as a graphic artist before. I live in Japan now, but can visit there.

Thank you!!

2. Collapse Details
    Why not translate it into Japanese and try to sell in that market?

3. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    Congratulations on completing your script! That's a major achievement and you should be proud.

Now the truth...

I am an American. English is my first language. (Your English seems very good, judging by your post.) I have been writing scripts for over a decade, and will continue to do so. MY chances of selling a script to Hollywood are very, very small. I would imagine your chances would be a lot smaller.

Almost no one sells their first script to Hollywood. Usually they write many scripts -- a lot of shorts and at least a few features. They give them away for free to anyone who will produce them into films. They hone their craft and get better and better, while they add produced film credits to their resumes. They make a name for themselves so they are able to start charging for their scripts, rather than just giving them away. They get hired by indie producers to write scripts under contract for shorts or features. They enter their scripts into screenwriting competitions, and win a few.

Then -- once they've done all that work -- they stand a very slim chance of getting a script read by someone at a major Hollywood studio.

I won't say it's never happened, but the odds are heavily stacked against you being able to sell your one and only script to Hollywood.

But having said that, it all depends on your story. You might have something amazing! If you do, your chances are still very small -- but you might get lucky. You should certainly try.
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

4. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    Quote Originally Posted by xhridhar View Post
    Why not translate it into Japanese and try to sell in that market?
    This is an excellent idea!
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by anmitsu View Post
    ...However, I will never even try to write another English script because my English sucks.
    There are a few 'foreign' directors who have been successful in Hollywood. Currently Rolland Emmerich is one such writer/director. He is German and has often shared writing credit with an english speaking writer. Oddly he also has collaborated with a Austrian composer/writer, Harald Kloser, for "10,000 BC"(2008) and "2012"(2009). Otherwise Kloser has worked on a number of Hollywood films as composer or producer. The message there is this is not someone who is on the 'outside' of the industry...

This is very rare. In most cases the foreign director will hook up with writers whose 'native' language is English. Billy Wilder is one such director from the past. Wilder is credited with 'story' and 'writing', but he worked in collaboration with english speaking writers, especially in 'dialog'.

One also has Roman Polanski who is from Poland, who now lives in France, but produces a 'english' language films.

Have I mentioned these are very rare instances.

In most cases, foreign film directors become noted for their foreign films. On the west coast of the US there is a 'market' for Japanese films, because of a large japanese speaking population, as well as a number of non-japanese who like 'things japanese'. Anime films and graphic novels are also popular, but again, these are usually written 'japanese' and then translated to English.

6. Collapse Details
    I am a professional screenwriter and wrote 9 full length screenplays (rewriting and polishing) before making any money at it... which makes me average. Even today most of the spec screenplays I write end up being "job applications" for assignments... and never sell and never get made. So, most likely you have a token of your 3 year effort; just as I have probably 80 such tokens.

My suggestion would be: why focus on writing a screenplay for some other country instead of where you live and where you work in the industry and have connections?
    Also, we live in a time when you can grab a camera and make your own movie... no agent required.

Bill

7. Collapse Details
    I am afraid but it is a big budget story, and Japanese cannot afford. Plus, Japanese film industry is very closed. Much more closed, I believe.

8. Collapse Details
    Thank you Bill. I wish I could make this story into a film, but it is a science fiction which requires tons of money. I cannot make it.
    I wrote it in English because Japan cannot afford it.

9. Collapse Details
    Hello, thank you for the advice, j1clark@ucsd.edu san.
    I started to understand that my chance is very low.

10. Collapse Details
    David san.
    I think I am giving up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast