Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    David san,
    Thank you for giving me such a long and sincere message.

I think "sell" is not exactly what I want at this point. I think what I want is to get the script read by filmmakers in Hollywood. I do not mind people think it is just a waste of paper. I just want to give it a try. Without having an agent or having desire to write more new story in English, do you think it is possible? If so, what do you think I should do? Do you think I can call up or email some production companies? Or they will get pissed?

2. Collapse Details
    You can call and pitch your screenplay, but what may work better is if you do an email query. Send your title and logline to agents/managers/producers. If your title and logline peek their interest they'll ask to read your screenplay. You never know you may have what they are looking for... but David is right a sale is like winning the lottery, but you may get reads and the more reads you get the more chances you have to win.
    Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by anmitsu View Post
    I think "sell" is not exactly what I want at this point. I think what I want is to get the script read by filmmakers in Hollywood. I do not mind people think it is just a waste of paper. I just want to give it a try. Without having an agent or having desire to write more new story in English, do you think it is possible? If so, what do you think I should do? Do you think I can call up or email some production companies? Or they will get pissed?
    The people in Hollywood DO mind if it is a waste of paper, and moreso their time. A lot of people have eluded to why you aren't trying to get it to people in Japan? I agree with that, I am sure there are Japanese/American production partners that could develop the property and bring it to Hollywood.

Remember, most movies that are large that you see are Co-ventures. Up to 7 or 8 different production companies involved. The Studio Level is hard to reach out to and get a read. But other production companies might be willing. Research your industry in Japan, it's where you have your best opportunity at Access. Find out who is making movies with American Production company partners.

Also, if the budget is too big, why not pitch it to MANGA publishers to create a graphic novel first. If it is successful there, then producers will get interested.

You can call or email anyone you like, you might get lucky and get a read. However, it would benefit you more to start locally. Even if a Japanese Production company can't afford it, if they believe in it enough they can help you reach out to Hollywood.

-M
    Martin Kelley
    blackhats blog http://blackhatsmovie.blogspot.com facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/blackhats/254404591292515
    Producer, STEP OFF formerly Battle official site On DVD Now from Lionsgate!
    Co-Writer, Immigration Tango On DVD Now from Lionsgate!

4. Collapse Details
    A good story has nothing to do with grammer. You can have your script polished by an expert. That being said, the challenge you could face is that even though it might be a good story, you might or might not have a grasp on the American market and culture and what people want to see.

5. Collapse Details
    "I am afraid but it is a big budget story, and Japanese cannot afford."

Then write the book and/or the graphic novel. Unless it is based on a successful "existing property" there is about zero chance of getting a huge budget, coming from nowhere.

6. Collapse Details
    Writing it as a book is the easiest way, since self publishing is simple these days.

General note: You want an *idea* that is amazing, not something that requires a pile of expensive things to work. If you look at THE MATRIX is a bunch of people on city streets... but the *idea* is that the city and everything else is fake. Or something like SOURCE CODE which basically has only 4 locations (Train, Train Station, Time Travel Pod, Control Room) and limiting the number of locations and characters brings down the budget. TERMINATOR brings the future to *our time* which saves the cost of constructing a future. There really aren't a lot of original big expensive science fiction movies being made. You want to be able to cite some recent successful films like your screenplay when someone asks.

Bill

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by anmitsu View Post
    No Intention to Become a Writer, but Want to Sell a Story.
    I think that's very honest of you. Honest to yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12