See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: GH4 SD Cards

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Recorded 20 mins so far on a Sandisk 95MB/s card at 200Mbps looks good so far.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by doccutter View Post
    This is very good to know!
    Jaime Vallés
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

3. Collapse Details
    Well I filled the card, and it played back fine, but when I look at the data rate in QT player, it says 80Mbps, which I'm confused about. MOV mode, recording 60FPS Progressive 200Mbps.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    I just recorded a sunset using 1080 60p 200Mbps All-I with a 128GB SanDisk Extreme SDXC 45MB/s card. Got over 40 minutes recorded, spanned across five clips. Here's the size - time - bitrate breakdown of the clips.

4.233GB - 10:09 - 55.6Mbps
    4.237GB - 8:43 - 64.8Mbps
    4.236GB - 9:51 - 57.3Mbps
    4.234GB - 8:32 - 66.2Mbps
    4.215GB - 5:53 - 95.5Mbps

Obviously this slow sunset didn't stress the codec's bitrate, so it's a poor test of the card. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I'll run more tests tomorrow at our local farmers market. There's usually some jugglers there. Should make for a more complex shot that may better test the limits of this card.

FWIW, I was using the Lumix 100-300mm with F8 and shutter 1/8000th (no ND on lens). Picture profile was CINE-D with contrast, sharpness, color, and denoiser all turned down to -4. The Highlight/Shadow control was set to Low Contrast. Luminance Levels were 0 - 255. I love that the GH4's shutter goes to 1/8000th. My GH3 can only go up to 1/4000th. I'm looking forward to taking stills with this camera.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Those of you being the guinea pigs for testing cards, thank you.

6. Collapse Details
    Well I filled the card, and it played back fine, but when I look at the data rate in QT player, it says 80Mbps, which I'm confused about. MOV mode, recording 60FPS Progressive 200Mbps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjobe View Post
    I just recorded a sunset using 1080 60p 200Mbps All-I with a 128GB SanDisk Extreme SDXC 45MB/s card. Got over 40 minutes recorded, spanned across five clips. Here's the size - time - bitrate breakdown of the clips.

4.233GB - 10:09 - 55.6Mbps
    4.237GB - 8:43 - 64.8Mbps
    4.236GB - 9:51 - 57.3Mbps
    4.234GB - 8:32 - 66.2Mbps
    4.215GB - 5:53 - 95.5Mbps

Obviously this slow sunset didn't stress the codec's bitrate, so it's a poor test of the card. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I'll run more tests tomorrow at our local farmers market. There's usually some jugglers there. Should make for a more complex shot that may better test the limits of this card.

FWIW, I was using the Lumix 100-300mm with F8 and shutter 1/8000th (no ND on lens). Picture profile was CINE-D with contrast, sharpness, color, and denoiser all turned down to -4. The Highlight/Shadow control was set to Low Contrast. Luminance Levels were 0 - 255. I love that the GH4's shutter goes to 1/8000th. My GH3 can only go up to 1/4000th. I'm looking forward to taking stills with this camera.
    Thank you all for the $150 that I now can do something fun with instead of buying new cards

7. Collapse Details
    Was it 60fps slowed down to 30?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobbamobba View Post
    Isnt it just like the GH3 that didnt have a limit but made separate clips of it? I wouldnt go US anyway because of the framerate, every ntsc camera I have had caused me trouble at some point.
    Oh, I didn't know that the GH3 worked in this way. That's great as I doubt that GH4 would work in a different way...
    Sanjin Švajger

9. Collapse Details
    That's interesting that the 200mbit all I mode would have a variable bitrate.

If this is the case then that is where you all have to be careful with the slower cards. They may work fine most of the time but as soon as you get a complex scene with lots of random motion and detail the slower cards may not be able to keep up. Instead of locking down the camera and shooting it would be good to really stress the codec with a slower card and see if it can keep up. Like shoot some trees on a windy day or a stream of running water.

10. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I have some concern about the idea that the card could drop out on really highly detailed scenes. That said, it looks like this sample of the card can easily do 50MB/s write speed, which is equivalent to about 400Mb/s. As long as it can sustain those write levels when full, I'm not sure that 200Mbp/s max recording bit rate should offer much of a challenge. I should say I did some screen/grass and some persian carpet shots, and I got the 24 FPS all I up to 85Mb/s. I'll keep trying, but so far I haven't maxed out the codec, or the card.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast