Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Haha, it is contemporary to hvx (tail end anyway), not dvx. Just feels like pcmcia is that long old! I'm still impressed though.
    Last edited by Egg Born Son; 03-02-2014 at 05:55 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Yea, I'm impressed to. Especially since I only paid 132.50 for it on Ebay. I didn't think anything as new as that would have a PCMCIA card in it either. When I get some extra cash I'm going to upgrade the ram to 8 GB. It's easy to throw money at one of these and upgrade the processor, add a SSD hard drive and even second drive if you loose the DVD drive but at that point all that money could buy a newer generation laptop. I'm just going to spend some time and try and learn the Vegas software. Even the most basic stuff is taking me a lot of time to figure out.
    Bill Wojo

3. Collapse Details
    It will be interesting to see how it holds up with a more complicated edit and/or rendering HD footage off the p2. If you can get it up to 8GB ram it might not be such a crazy proposition. Does it have the Core2Duo 2.8GHz processor?

Quote Originally Posted by rzxrey View Post
    Would hard drive speed matter if recording direct to hard drive from a P2 Camera? SSD vs Regular 7200 Drive.
    No, it will be fine since it is recording in real-time. The question of SSD vs HDD transfer speeds is only an issue for moving and copying files which is a much much faster process on either technology than streaming in real-time (can you imagine if a storage device took 90 minutes to copy a 90 minute media file?). For the same reason, the difference in the time to load and playback a media file will be negligible but when copying an entire directory of media files from one drive to another the HDD will be noticeably faster. Even then both are fast, SSD is just faster with small files and HDD faster with big files. Which isn't to say a poorly designed system won't have bottlenecks that will produce a different result.

4. Collapse Details
    Is there a limit on the maximum disk capacity that can be installed for the dell E6400? I think it will be a great for long steady shoots using OnLocation for capture.
    D800. BMPCC.

5. Collapse Details
    The processor is a 2.4Ghz Core2Duo. I'm just amazed that you can find such crazy deals on laptops like this. The Thinkpads are very well built, very rugged. I think this was one of the last versions to still include the PCMCIA port. When I started looking for a way to off load the P2 cards I read all I could on this forum. Since I'm into motorsports the ability to off load in the field was important to me. So I started looking for the newest laptop that had a PCMCIA slot. I know about the adapter cards but I didn't want something hanging out the side that could get damaged.
    I help run a speedway motorcycle team and things can get very hectic at times. If our rider crashes, the hell with video, tools are flying and the most important thing at that time is getting the bike ready for the next round. I needed something rugged that might get knocked around. I try and keep my equipment safe but others are not so concerned when there is work to be done. I video a lot of the races but when our rider is due to be up, I grab the camera and tripod setup and hustle back to the pits and just set it next to our pit. After his machine is running I grab my setup and hustle back to the fence and setup again.
    Last season I was taping with a Sony DCR-TRV900 on a cheap tripod. This season I'm stepping it up a quite a bit. I've got a DVX100B and an old O'Connor 35A tripod with a rebuilt model 30 head that I changed the counterbalance springs out to better fit a light weight camera. Also picked up a Peter Lisand baby tripod to get some interesting shots at about axle height.
    I recently picked up a broken HVX200P that I hope to repair. It came with a 8GB card. That's why I wanted the laptop. If I could record in 720/60 it would make for some nice HD slow motion.
    Sorry for the long winded post.
    Bill Wojo
    Last edited by BillWojo; 03-03-2014 at 09:37 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rzxrey View Post
    Is there a limit on the maximum disk capacity that can be installed for the dell E6400? I think it will be a great for long steady shoots using OnLocation for capture.
    A quick search for a review state the the largest drives that came with the e6400 were 250GB 7,200rpm HDD or 128GB SSD. I'd go HDD for capacity. It takes a 2.5" HDD so 250GB may not be the limit but it is plenty. In 720p/24pN I get 40 minutes on a 16GB p2 card. That said it will probably be cheaper to buy a 2nd hand laptop with the specs you want than upgrade one you've already got. In the second hand marketing model the prices are cheap for the laptop then they sting you for the parts they didn't sell when it was current!

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWojo View Post
    So I started looking for the newest laptop that had a PCMCIA slot. I know about the adapter cards but I didn't want something hanging out the side that could get damaged.
    Agreed, my thinking as well. With two p2 cards and a laptop to offload to you can record pretty much continuously since the card takes less time to offload than fill.

I help run a speedway motorcycle team and things can get very hectic at times. If our rider crashes, the hell with video, tools are flying and the most important thing at that time is getting the bike ready for the next round.
    Seems you lack the pathological requirements of a funniest home video entrant

I recently picked up a broken HVX200P that I hope to repair. It came with a 8GB card. That's why I wanted the laptop. If I could record in 720/60 it would make for some nice HD slow motion.
    Ah, I was wondering why you kept mentioning DVX and p2 in the same breath. The native under/over cranking was a big selling point for me too. While the same result can be achieved relatively easily in other cameras there is no post conversion to be done with the HVX. And using 24pN the native 24fps timeline uses as 24fps timeline whereas other cameras waste memory embedding it in a 30p or worse 60i timeline. Hope you get it fixed. It's a little long in the tooth but a magnitude better than the DVX. And the p2 workflow is a joy.

8. Collapse Details
    I use an old mac powerbook titanium to off load to a firewire 400 drive, it will still edit SD too so is ideal as a quick news cutting laptop in the field.

if I have my full edit system it can also act as a card reader via ethernet to the main mac pro.
    Over 15 minutes in broadcast film and tv production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352
    /

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12