See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    7Q 2k Raw...WOW +Using selective mask based noise reduction
    I shot my first 7Q narrative short last night...and all I can say is WOW!
    It was a very moody, low-lit scene with intense drama. Not only did the actors absolutely bring it, (the whole project from writing to filming was in a 48 hour period and the actors all jumped in with 1 days notice! And holy crap they were good!)

The whole thing was shot at F2.0 on a Canon 24-70 F/2.8 and speedbooster. Close-ups at 70mm.
    We lit the entire scene with one R300 LED ring light from camera left slightly behind the actors and one tiny F&V Z96 LED pointing straight down from the ceiling and that's it! Two baby LED's!
    The histogram on the 7Q scared the crap out of me as it was waaaay to the left and the Fs700 was at 3500 ISO the entire shoot. I knew there would be some noise reduction in post, but when i processed through Resolve I was pleasantly surprised to find the noise very very manageable and pleasant compared to the Avchd I'm used to. I wanted to try a selective noise reduction method I read over on Matt Scotts blog and the results more than exceeded my expectations.

7 Second test:

01_Raw_DNG.jpg
    02_Exposure_Lift_in_Resolve.jpg
    03_Luma_Mask.jpg
    04_SelectiveNoise_Reduction.jpg
    05_Final_Graded.jpg

Hope this technique helps you guys when the noise is a little high, but you don't want to soften out and muddy up the skin details and well exposed areas of the image.
    I was the DOP and camera operator for this short and I learned a lot about minimalist lighting. I would light it stronger next time I think, but with this new found 2k raw freedom I'm beginning to see the possibilities for this amazing fs700 / 7Q combo!
    This short will be finished and online by the end of next week. I'll be sure to post a link here when it's done.

Happy shooting!

Oh and the rig I pulled together! The Tilta stuff arrived 4 days ago thankfully!
    KLG_0819.jpg
    KLG_0829.jpg

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Wow impressive! I can't wait to see the whole short.

3. Collapse Details
    Nicely done.
    Mitch Gross
    Director of Communications
    Convergent-Design

4. Collapse Details
    Wow - that's really great. And thanks so much for the tip on that noise reduction trick.

Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Alan Brazzell
    Brazzell Video & Motion Graphics | www.brazzellvideo.com

5. Collapse Details
    Really nice work Kryon, this is one of the more impressive examples of the 2k raw footage that I've seen yet. There's a lot of obsession over the camera's 4k abilities but that 2k is really quite impressive. God I can't wait to get my hands on a 7Q.

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks everyone. I agree NMSK, 2k still has a lot of life in it and looks great. This short will be one minute long in the end, and its already taking up 150gb's of space in my project folder because of the DNG files. I think all the 4k Raw hoo hah surrounding the 7Q will get quieter when people get past the glamour of all this extra resolution and then realise how hard it's going to be to work with....to end up delivered in 1080p anyway at the end of the pipe for the vast majority of productions.

For those interested, I took the "light grade" shown above out of Resolve straight into After Effects via the DnxHD codec and graded the crap out of it in Ae. I was still able to push the image all over the place with zero degradation in the image.

Full clip length from above example is 58 seconds

The difference in size? Roughly a 1:4 compression.

DNG 2k Raw sequence = 4.47gb
    DnxHD 1080p file = 1.21gb

I haven't experimented with every codec out there, but I was wondering what you guys do in this situation? (I'm a pc user so pro-res is out of my reach) I've been using DnxHD for about a year in this capacity for high quality edit and pass-through clips between applications. Now that we're in raw land, i think this process is doubly important to be able to discard all the massive raw files once we've squeezed all the colour we need out of them.
    I've been fairly happy with the 1:4 trade-off. Is anyone getting a better squeeze out of their footage while retaining as much of the colour space and quality as possible?

7. Collapse Details
    Cineform RAW is a great compressed raw option, I use it for the Ikonoskop DNGs when space is an issue.
    http://resonanceimaging.squarespace.com/
    Ikonoskop A-Cam DII packages for rent in Los Angeles

8. Collapse Details
    thanks for sharing that's quite impressive - I have way more noise in my "exposed to the left DNGs" Your posting gives me hope that it's my workflow which can be improved a lot!

9. Collapse Details
    Holy Moley! That's nice. I, too, have found the low light performance of the O7Q and Sony Slog2 outstanding.

10. Collapse Details
    Very nice, great info. Is there anywhere online we can learn how you converted the footage to a "soft mask" before applying NR? Thanks, your image looks very cinematic, much appreciated.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast