Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Rice View Post
    Ralph another friend just recommended Sanity running at 66mbps. Can you do that with Sanity X?

Thanks for any help!
    Not sure what your friend meant. Sanity X CAN run at 66 Mbps, but it's totally automatic. There's nothing for you to do or change. Sanity is a little different from the other hacks in that the bitrate floats depending on the complexity of the scene. This is one way it achieves it's high effeciency. There is no point in using bits that are redundant and add nothing to the visual quality. In my own shooting, I've seen Sanity X's 24H bitrate vary between 50 Mbps and 95 Mbps. 66 Mbps might be considered an average - perhaps that's what your friend meant. It's important to note that although the bitrate varies, the quality stays the same.

2. Collapse Details
    Ralph, I downloaded Sanity 5.1 as my first hack, and recently installed it.

The footage looks really good and didn't take up a buttload of space either. It also recorded and played back on class 10 cards just fine.

What typical data rates do you get from 5.1? I know all the info from X and may download that soon and try it too. Just trying to get my feet wet here and learn more. Thanks.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Rice View Post

What typical data rates do you get from 5.1? I know all the info from X and may download that soon and try it too. Just trying to get my feet wet here and learn more. Thanks.
    Brandon, don't waste time getting "hung up" on the numbers. I used both Sanity 5.1 and Flowmotion 2.02, both gave me better rendition of motion, both were completely stable. If you're happy with what you see on Sanity 5.1 leave it there, but I think you can trust that Ralph made improvements with Sanity X without losing any stability. So in your place I would leave 5.1 or X installed and quit "frettin'" over it.

I just wouldn't "bounce around" from one to another to another like some used to do.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
    Brandon, don't waste time getting "hung up" on the numbers. I used both Sanity 5.1 and Flowmotion 2.02, both gave me better rendition of motion, both were completely stable. If you're happy with what you see on Sanity 5.1 leave it there, but I think you can trust that Ralph made improvements with Sanity X without losing any stability. So in your place I would leave 5.1 or X installed and quit "frettin'" over it.

I just wouldn't "bounce around" from one to another to another like some used to do.
    Thanks Bruce,

Comparing to the stock firmware, I am really liking what I'm seeing with Sanity 5.1. I am hoping it's stable enough for my live event stuff as well, and I'll be testing that out for a few days. I definitely want to find one and STICK TO IT, which is why I actually downloaded Sanity 5.1 in the first place, after several folks recommended it to me for great quality, and stability.

Thanks for the comment!

5. Collapse Details
    Bruce's comment is spot on. Don't get hung up on numbers, especially when it comes to bitrate. The H264 codec is extremely complex, with a boatload of parameters and functions. It's entirely possible to have a high bitrate and a picture that still has artifacts.

That's not the case here, of course.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph B View Post
    Bruce's comment is spot on. Don't get hung up on numbers, especially when it comes to bitrate. The H264 codec is extremely complex, with a boatload of parameters and functions. It's entirely possible to have a high bitrate and a picture that still has artifacts.

That's not the case here, of course.
    Yes, I'm seeing that now. I may go ahead and load up Sanity X and give it a whirl Someone I know has been using 5.1 and recommended it, so I went with the older version first.

7. Collapse Details
    I love Sanity 5.1. Even though I have Sanity X installed on my camera, I find myself using the 24L setting (Sanity 5.1's 24H) about 90% of the time.

There is one scenario where you might want Sanity 5.1 installed instead of Sanity X - that's if you want spanning with class 10 cards. The 24L setting of Sanity 5.1 WILL span on class 10 cards. You don't have this ability with Sanity X.

Hope that's not too confusing.

8. Collapse Details
    I love Sanity 5.1. Even though I have Sanity X installed on my camera, I find myself using the 24L setting (Sanity 5.1's 24H) about 90% of the time.

There is one scenario where you might want Sanity 5.1 installed instead of Sanity X - that's if you want spanning with class 10 cards. The 24L setting of Sanity 5.1 WILL span on class 10 cards. You don't have this ability with Sanity X.

Hope that's not too confusing.
    I'm sorry, I'm SO new to the GH2... What is the different for 24L, and how do I access it? I do need spanning for certain times (as I shoot live long events)

Thank you.

9. Collapse Details
    The GH2 has two quality settings for each shooting mode. For 24P thay are called 24H and 24L.
    You can find them in Menu / Motion Picture / Rec Quality. Just toggle between them.

10. Collapse Details
    The GH2 has two quality settings for each shooting mode. For 24P thay are called 24H and 24L.
    You can find them in Menu / Motion Picture / Rec Quality. Just toggle between them.
    On the Sanity hack, what is the difference between 24H and 24L? That's what I was wondering

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast