Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    It doesn't seem like a very long walk from the general Harrah's area to the convention center just by looking at google maps. Would I be in for a surprise when I get there? Am I missing something? Could be a good way to wake up in the morning?

Also - anyone stayed at the Best Western next to Harrah's? It's under $100 for a night, has good reviews, and looks decent and relatively modern. Plus, I could just walk next door to Harrah's for their shuttle if I wanted, or food/atmosphere?

2. Collapse Details
    Just realize that most LV "city blocks" are over a mile long.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

3. Collapse Details
    My advice? Comfortable shoes, comfortable shoes and comfortable shoes!

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    It doesn't seem like a very long walk from the general Harrah's area to the convention center just by looking at google maps. Would I be in for a surprise when I get there? Am I missing something? Could be a good way to wake up in the morning?
    Stayed in Harrah's this last September. It was quite decent, quiet in the rooms and clean. Don't know if there are different levels of rooms.

Breakfast at Denny's (near by) was also OK.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Adams View Post
    I always recommend MGM it is the main station for the monorail and first station so it is never crowded to broad monorail there. If you want a cheaper option with good access to monorail Harrah's is actually a good deal and a descent stay. Also the eats around Harrahs are cheaper. Some fast food options and such. I always use the monorail or cab the shuttles take forever.
    I've been going to NAB more years then I care to remember. I used to be a Manufacturer's Rep and had to work the show each year. Now I go to see all the new goodies, network and visit with old friends. Most all the advice given is spot on. I personally stay at the far end of the strip at the Luxor (I get special deals there as a regular). I grab a cup of coffee in the morning and walk over to the MGM for the monorail, it is the best way to get around IMHO. I buy a 3-day unlimited pass and have no worries. I find the Luxor has great food offerings and you're on the strip if you want for something else. It is also connected to the Mandalay Bay for more food choices (try the Burger Bar!). Most of all, be ready to walk.

1. Good, shoes
    2. Monorail pass: http://www.lvmonorail.com/buy-ticket...t-information/
    3. Backpack
    4. Water, water, water
    5. Business cards

I usually spend a good 2 days at the show...and the third is for relaxing.

6. Collapse Details
    "Circus, Circus is better than sleeping on the streets of Vegas".

But not by much. Van Video's review pretty much mirrors my own experience.
    The Rio is good. Don't know if Maxim's is still around, but they always had great rooms and decent prices. Shuttle was across the street at the old MGM Grand. Traffic along and around the strip is always rough (I mean L.A. rough!). Although I might drive into town, I always take taxis at night and/or shuttles to and from the Center.
    I always enjoyed the after show parties hosted by many major vendors.
    Ken

7. Collapse Details
    What I haven't seen from you is any comments about what you hope/want/need to see. There are many good comments in this thread and I know I've posted either here or on DVinfo about how to see the show in the past. Tell us more about what you hope to get out of the experience.

For me, I always stay at Circus Circus and find the rooms to be clean. I never eat there and rarely have a drink there. It is the best price of any hotel and you can either walk to take the shuttle.

I find it impossible to see "everything" in 4 days because I like to wander the Central and South halls after I visit my must see vendors just to see what the independent/small vendors are offering.

8. Collapse Details
    Good question. Being new, I'm not sure what I want out of it... trying to figure out the options! haha. I don't have workshop passes with my free exhbition ticket, which is a minor bummer as it would have been to cool to do a couple of those.

I want to see what Panasonic offers in person and hopefully play with some new toys from them, or talk to the reps and grill them a bit.
    Same for Red, Sony, Canon - very interested in cameras this year.
    Interested in external monitor/recorder options... Atomos most likely
    Interested in stabilizers

Want to network and meet people for sure!

9. Collapse Details
    I am a little late to this thread BUT here is my 2 cents.
    I go to NAB every year for over 10 years.
    1) to find a cheap room. sign up on Caesar's website (or MGM's). There is nothing wrong with RIO. it is my preferred property. Large rooms and very quiet (no LV strip noise) There is a free shuttle to Harrah's and from there you can take the shuttle bus to LVCC. I do not recommending walking any more than you have to. For future trip. Sign up for the players card and gamble 5 bucks. you will then get room offers as a 'player'. The last 3-5 years RIO game me 2 free nights and $39 the third night.. so it pays to get the players card. (recently room rates have not been free-- recession over)
    2) bring two pairs of sneakers or equally comfortable walking shoes. Alternate days wearing them. Plus plan to bring more stuff back with you - so plan some extra space in your luggage.
    3) Plan on 2 FULL days (or 3 less full days) of walking and yes the last day vendors sell stuff cheap in order to not take it home with them. And don't get hooked into sitting at any booth for an extended time for their group 'pitches'. If it is something I have interest in, come back and talk one on one. Only exception is for the drawings. (GoPro is one)
    4) Bring backpack for handouts, snack bar(s) if you plan to skip lunch there, bottle of water, business cards, camera, setup appointments in advance (scheduled through your vendor), bring your business AMEX Open card (if you have one) there is free coffee or water and snacks in the AMEX lounge. I pickup all the paper handouts just before I leave so I am not weighted down. But I take the freebies (like t-shirt and hats) as I go. Be sure to get a B&H catalog. lots of hands-on there too.
    4.5)I hit South Hall first then Central and North last.
    5) avoid taxis if you can. Take the shuttle from the airport to your hotel (and don't buy a round trip pass at the airport - they make you wait hours early - I just hop the first shuttle that shows up for others - If I don't get one in reasonable time - I will take a taxi and often look for someone else with luggage and offer to spit a taxi with them to the airport. Actually now I just rent car. More freedom.
    6)plan an extra day or two for vegas siteseeing. other vegas tips can be found on a vegas forum like www.vegasjonesing.com
    7) restaurant.com places, in this town, are plenty. Save on money and eat well at the same time.

can't think of much more but if you plan to rent a car. sign up for Dollar Car rental program and book your car. then 10 days from your trip check on the rate and you'll watch it dip and lock in on a new low rate. I usually get it for $12-15 a day. Your car is wating for you when you get there. On show days: I drive to Palazzo parking garage and take the shuttle from Venetian to LVCC. I eat off strip most of the time and stay off strip.
    the end of my 2 cents.
    AC160a, AC130, HMC80, DVC30, NanoFlash, PPro5.5 on custom build PC,

10. Collapse Details
    This is probably the biggest mistake most first time Vegas visitors make. Looking at a Map you say "hey that Hotel/restaurant is just two Hotels down from here." These resorts are HUGE. and walking down a hotel or two can be a mile or more. When you spend all day on your feet at the show you will want limit your walking in the evening as much as possible.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast