Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Does the 4k camera have audio meters?

2. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Nope

And I would bank on never seeing them in this camera or the other cameras. My thoughts do not reflect BMDs, or what they plan on in the future, but I wish they would have never put anything about good audio recording in the camera. They should have said reference audio, called it a day, and I would never have to hear anyone complaining about audio in a camera that's solely about the image quality it produces.

Better audio, meteres, wave etc, just don't count on it. If those are things people need there are other options that offer that kind of usability... of course most of them either cost a lot for a better image, or lack in the IQ department. =P
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    Nope

And I would bank on never seeing them in this camera or the other cameras. My thoughts do not reflect BMDs, or what they plan on in the future, but I wish they would have never put anything about good audio recording in the camera. They should have said reference audio, called it a day, and I would never have to hear anyone complaining about audio in a camera that's solely about the image quality it produces.

Better audio, meteres, wave etc, just don't count on it. If those are things people need there are other options that offer that kind of usability... of course most of them either cost a lot for a better image, or lack in the IQ department. =P
    Yeah, i don't get it….you can get great audio from a cheap ZOOM recorder. I don't understand why BM could not have made a complete system? That has to impact sales.
    I used my BMCC a lot when I first got it - but after so many interviews it wears thin to always have to sync up audio. It might not be a big deal for some people
    but after a few hundred clips it gets old and takes time no matter if you have it do auto sync or not. Hell I bought a Sony RX10 and the audio that comes out of that is great.
    I have started using it over the BMCC for interviews.

4. Collapse Details
    Definitely wondering if BMD has plans for a more all-in-one type of design at NAB. Who wouldn't want the BMPC with good audio and XLR, better ergos and form factor, physical switches, etc.? If they can sweeten the deal with over-crank, better low light, and 13 stops on their 4K model... for under $5k... that could be a huge deal!

5. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schrengohst View Post
    Yeah, i don't get it….you can get great audio from a cheap ZOOM recorder. I don't understand why BM could not have made a complete system? That has to impact sales.
    I used my BMCC a lot when I first got it - but after so many interviews it wears thin to always have to sync up audio. It might not be a big deal for some people
    but after a few hundred clips it gets old and takes time no matter if you have it do auto sync or not. Hell I bought a Sony RX10 and the audio that comes out of that is great.
    I don't think the 2.5K was the right tool for interviews in that case, I mean... right? Why not use an AF100 or FS100? You solved it though with the RX10, but if I knew I couldn't invest in a Juiced Link to run audio directly into camera, and my bread and butter's interviews... I would not have invested in a Cinema Camera that's pretty much about the image quality.

There are so many more options for this kind of work, I haven't figured out why people keep buying it over something like the above mentioned, used at that.

Edit:

On the other hand, if you've seen Luis Caffesse's Pocket Camera rig, that's a gent that knows what his gear is and was willin' to make it work for him.

That thing's a one-man-band beast.
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schrengohst View Post
    Yeah, i don't get itů.you can get great audio from a cheap ZOOM recorder. I don't understand why BM could not have made a complete system? That has to impact sales.
    Don't forget that the audio out of Sony products is no accident. Sony has a very rich and deep history in the professional audio market, they know how to build a pre-amp. That being said, I also find it very perplexing why BM can't get their audio together. Seems kind of ridiculous to me and its a large oversight, especially considering their core market with their camera is the smaller independant guys where time and resources are not plentiful. Anything, like integrated audio, which can literally save the user hours of time is something that needs to be addressed with future cameras.

My next BM Camera wishlist includes
    - all of the existing features
    - high frame recording
    - better battery solution
    - an improvement in DR
    - better integrated audio

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by True North View Post
    Don't forget that the audio out of Sony products is no accident. Sony has a very rich and deep history in the professional audio market, they know how to build a pre-amp. That being said, I also find it very perplexing why BM can't get their audio together. Seems kind of ridiculous to me and its a large oversight, especially considering their core market with their camera is the smaller independant guys where time and resources are not plentiful. Anything, like integrated audio, which can literally save the user hours of time is something that needs to be addressed with future cameras.

My next BM Camera wishlist includes
    - all of the existing features
    - high frame recording
    - better battery solution
    - an improvement in DR
    - better integrated audio
    Theres always this for the time being. http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mm1/ Some of the very best preamps in the world. If I had my way I would rather have a robust interchangeable battery system. Why we can't record 2 hours on end still baffles me in this day and age. On my pocket cam the 1/2 hour or so hasn't been all that easy to work with. I can work around the audio, the media looks like its improving, it's getting cheaper, we just need a better (smaller) battery solution.

8. Collapse Details
    Can you at least format the media in the camera now?
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marino215 View Post
    http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mm1/ Some of the very best preamps in the world.
    I keep thinking Sound Devices should make a cam ;)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Definitely wondering if BMD has plans for a more all-in-one type of design at NAB. Who wouldn't want the BMPC with good audio and XLR, better ergos and form factor, physical switches, etc.?
    Ironically, if you design a camera for the most expensive genre (feature films) you set the bar the lowest. A sensor in giant box would work. It doesn't even need to record sound. In fact, such a set-up would connect you to the Hollywood of yesteryear. One slow, meticulously prepared angle at a time, carefully lighting the DR all the way down. You have a crew (pros or friends, depending on whether you have money) to hold a mic, flag off hot spots, etc. And post? Well, you have months. Designing for the movies is the one mistake that BlackMagic and RED make.

Now, what if you designed a camera for great wedding videos? The least-paying gig is the rock against which all cameramen smash themselves. One take, dim churches, dimmer receptions, white dress, black tux, disparate audio sources, non-actors who you'd better not distract or even worse shine a light in their faces. An ideal wedding videocamera would be as small and inconspicous as possible, yet needs XLR, built-in ND filters, wide dynamic range, great focus peaking, global shutter (for all the flashes). And good resolution wouldn't hurt. Wouldn't such a camera also just happen to make great feature films? Paul Graham said:

When Bauhaus designers adopted Sullivan's "form follows function," what they meant was, form should follow function. And if function is hard enough, form is forced to follow it, because there is no effort to spare for error. Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives. (Taste for Makers)
    Last edited by combatentropy; 02-11-2014 at 10:03 PM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast