Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I was also researching this!! Thinking I could put one of these in with the nikon mount conversion.

The flange distance is the issue. The speed booster looks like it reduces it by too much... you can see the difference by comparing metabones' standard E-Mount to Nikon adapter with the speed booster version.

Would be sick if possible though!!
    Patrick Jennings
    Melbourne, Australia
    patrickjennings.com.au

2. Collapse Details
    "allowing you effectively "increase" the native ISO to 900 instead of 450 in S-Log gamma"..

I doubt that.. Since I owe BMPCC speedbooster, I would say you would jump from ISO 450 to ISO 600, not more..

Yes, you gain a little bit of sharpness, but.. what are your wide lenses?
    For 1.5 crop factor you have cheap Tokina 11 - 16 and Sigma 18-35 f1.8 ..
    What would be your cheap FF wide lenses than?

And after problems of making EOS mount ( not enought of place )..how you gonna go deeper with speedbooster??

I had idea to DIY modify LOMO OCT-18 lenses for BMPCC speedbooster.. but I should move lens block to touch lens element of speedbooster to get infinty focus .. Not worth..not possible

3. Collapse Details
    As much as I applaud the idea, I am not sure how the mechanics of it would work - the E-mount is very, VERY close to the back of the lenses for it and the IR filter in the F35 is very far away from the sensor in it.

Even if the IR filter was gone, the lens would be half in the camera!
    James Martin, UK-based DoP
    www.jamesmartindop.com
    Sony F65, ARRI/Zeiss Master Primes, ARRI Alura Zooms
    Formerly: F900, F35, Zeiss Standard Speeds, Illumina S35s...

4. Collapse Details
    James, hunter is suggesting sliding it in between the IR filter and the lens mount "inside" the camera, not an E mount mod, just taking the innards of an E mount speed booster. Some measurements need to be done. I'm skeptical of the available space between the IR filter and the mount but it's worth a look into.

5. Collapse Details
    If he made it work, that would be a feat of engineering but I'm just not convinced the gains would really be worth it. I wish them the best of luck though...
    James Martin, UK-based DoP
    www.jamesmartindop.com
    Sony F65, ARRI/Zeiss Master Primes, ARRI Alura Zooms
    Formerly: F900, F35, Zeiss Standard Speeds, Illumina S35s...

6. Collapse Details
    It would be. We dreaming again James! I suppose we need to keep dreaming as you rightly said, that's what we do ;)

7. Collapse Details
    Anyone have a speed booster I can borrow? ; )
    Hunter Hampton
    hunterismyfriend.com
    vimeo.com/hunter

8. Collapse Details
    if you were to buy the nikon version, keep the mount and the assembly down to the glass, and remove the black outer ring and back mount, a mod similar to what Barrett is doing might be possible where it would fit in the space in front of the filter. This way all the distance measurements for the focal adapter would be correct once the nikon mount was lined up. Hmmm, I'm starting to think this is possible. Who is willing to shell out for a speed booster.

Although if sigma or another lens manufacturer were to make some more F1.8 zooms for APS-C, it might be cheaper to stick with the cheaper smaller sensor glass. The Sigma 18-35 1.8 will cover the S35, this particular lens goes well beyond APS-C, I have still yet to get mine as they are back ordered but I am hoping this is the run and gun lens I have been looking for. I have a 17-50 2.8 and i would love a little more. If I were to drop a speed booster into my camera, I could not use the 18-35 unless it was some sort of removable mount. A F2.8 lens becomes a F2 lens with a speed booster, is this correct? If so, the Nikon trinity of 2.8 zooms plus a speed booster would be a dangerous combo. But we are talking about a lot of money if parts need to be manufactured from scratch, better to get fast primes if you want speed for now.

9. Collapse Details
    Dave and I happen to have my F35 apart right now so we'll have at least a look at the sensor block to assess if it's possible once he gets back from vacation next week. Unfortunately I only have the MFT speed booster but hopefully the optics wouldn't be shaped too differently from the E-mount. In other news Dave's been designing an interchangeable lens mount system for me because he's the man (ie. a system allowing mount swaps without having to remove the front plate) to switch between PL, Nikon or EOS by changing a few screws on the front and also giving a lot more room around each lens. I'll update as it progresses, probably in a new thread. Exciting times!

10. Collapse Details
    Good on you Barret.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast