Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I am not actually suggesting defrauding the insurance company.

Just a simple joke of course.
    www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

2. Collapse Details
    OOOOOOoooooohhhhhh haha. Man, I don't know if I could pull that off haha. I fold easily under pressure.

3. Collapse Details
    Unfortunately, this seems to be a trend with certain companies. Never had a prob with Panny but my friend recently had a problem with Canon. You really shouldn't have to harangue these people to get service, especially if you're spending thousands on a piece of professional equipment. I feel like it happens more if you're under warranty because they're not getting the $ for their time/parts... You really should insist on sending your camera to another authorized center because this one is obviously not doing the job. In the meantime you may be able to use a screw on ND filter in place of the dirty ND?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Levine View Post
    I feel your frustration. I wouldn't be surprised if they've just been cleaning the outer housing glass. cleaning inside the sealed chamber requires a static free clean room, not something that's usually in a small operation like you described. Get it to panasonic directly, not a shack on the blvd.
    Yes I have often thought this to be a sealed unit, having spent some years in clean rooms. Surely someone from Panasonic can demystify this for us? I would love to know. (doesn't help the OP of course-) If his camera is under warranty and has clearly not been exposed to limestone quarries or similar, Panasonic should fix it, or at least provide a cleanup service at a sensible price- the PR would massively outweigh any small cost to them I would have thought.
    Cheers!
    Rod
    Rod Pike
    Panasonic af102- lumix 12-35mm f2.8- lumix 35-100mm f2.8- Lumix 14-140 f4-5.6- and an Olympus 4/3 9-18mm zoom -also Panasonic ac160A
    www.voxvideoproductions.co.nz
    A set of high quality paint brushes don't make you Rembrandt!

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by logan leblanc View Post
    i may have missed something:drogar-shock(dbg):
    wooosh!

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Pike View Post
    Yes I have often thought this to be a sealed unit, having spent some years in clean rooms. Surely someone from Panasonic can demystify this for us? I would love to know. (doesn't help the OP of course-) If his camera is under warranty and has clearly not been exposed to limestone quarries or similar, Panasonic should fix it, or at least provide a cleanup service at a sensible price- the PR would massively outweigh any small cost to them I would have thought.
    Cheers!
    Rod
    Once the dust settles on this we can CERTAINLY make some noise seeing as I'm not the only case.

Oh, and they ARE telling me that the only way to change out the ND wheel is to change out the ENTIRE CMOS ASSEMBLY. Thank god Panasonic doesn't make cars.

"That oil change is gonna require a new engine sir" WTF?!?

What a terrible, terrible design flaw.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    Unfortunately, this seems to be a trend with certain companies. Never had a prob with Panny but my friend recently had a problem with Canon. You really shouldn't have to harangue these people to get service, especially if you're spending thousands on a piece of professional equipment. I feel like it happens more if you're under warranty because they're not getting the $ for their time/parts... You really should insist on sending your camera to another authorized center because this one is obviously not doing the job. In the meantime you may be able to use a screw on ND filter in place of the dirty ND?

It's on the ND1 (clear) filter.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan LeBlanc View Post
    Once the dust settles on this we can CERTAINLY make some noise seeing as I'm not the only case.

Oh, and they ARE telling me that the only way to change out the ND wheel is to change out the ENTIRE CMOS ASSEMBLY. Thank god Panasonic doesn't make cars.

"That oil change is gonna require a new engine sir" WTF?!?

What a terrible, terrible design flaw.
    it's probably less complicated than that

it's a sealed unit, having a facility that is equipped to open it and repair it probably would exceed the cost of just swapping out the whole unit with another factory sealed unit.

what you could argue is that they might have been able to find a way to have the sensor exist outside that sealed unit, but that is highly debatable
    C100 / Aerial Shooter/Editor - NY/NJ

My work, My equipment, My other whatnots...
    www.DarrenLevine.com

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Levine View Post
    it's probably less complicated than that

it's a sealed unit, having a facility that is equipped to open it and repair it probably would exceed the cost of just swapping out the whole unit with another factory sealed unit.

what you could argue is that they might have been able to find a way to have the sensor exist outside that sealed unit, but that is highly debatable
    That's the point I was trying to make with them. Passing on the cost of a new sensor assembly ($3500 on up) to the consumer just to save money is an insanely ballsy move especially when a brand new camera is only $600 more.
    The ND could have been completely independent but they opted not to do that. As to why is the REAL question.

They must have been reeeeeaaalllyyy confident with their design.

10. Collapse Details
    If the area behind the protective glass is sealed, then Panasonic owes you a fix for free. It's their contamination that got on the filter.

If you exhaust your efforts and still have the problem, then you have nothing to lose. Take it to a jeweler and have them open it up and see if they can open up the sealed unit and clean it. They will charge you an hour or two for labor. Bring a camera and video the insides. I want to see what it looks like.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast