Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Sony FDR-AX100: First Impressive 4K Video I've Seen
    I've been rather underwhelmed by Canon 4K video I've seen. Even Philip Bloom's 1DC footage, which is always wonderfully done, provided no incentive for a 4K move.

Then I saw this from the Sony FDR-AX100 and 1 inch sensor: http://youtu.be/hEYhkvZEVN4
    Dan Carter: Panasonic TM700, GH2 and GH3, Sony RX100II and RX10, Final Cut Pro X
    http://www.vimeo.com/user582748

2. Collapse Details
    Dan, I was wowed enough by that demo when I saw it last week, that I have an AX100 pre-ordered.

I watched that on my 23" monitor and then on my 64" plasma and in both cases my jaw dropped. My only reservation is the 30p, but when I enable the frame rate doubler on my plasma, 30p looks pretty close to 60p.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken7 View Post
    Dan, I was wowed enough by that demo when I saw it last week, that I have an AX100 pre-ordered.

I watched that on my 23" monitor and then on my 64" plasma and in both cases my jaw dropped. My only reservation is the 30p, but when I enable the frame rate doubler on my plasma, 30p looks pretty close to 60p.
    Well done Ken. I'm looking forward to seeing more from this camera. Haven't seen this degree of quality improvement since HD replaced SD.
    Dan Carter: Panasonic TM700, GH2 and GH3, Sony RX100II and RX10, Final Cut Pro X

4. Collapse Details
    Does anyone know if there is any "In Camera" down sampling so you can shoot 4K but walk away from the camera with 1080P?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowProd View Post
    Does anyone know if there is any "In Camera" down sampling so you can shoot 4K but walk away from the camera with 1080P?
    I know that the camera can play back 4K, 'on the fly', down-sampled to 1080p to a 1080p display. So it wouldn't b a stretch to think that you can also create a 1080p display. I can't say that with any certainty, but I'd think it's a distinct possibility.

6. Collapse Details
    Here is another AX100 video, showing bright and low-light shots:

https://vimeo.com/89673510

7. Collapse Details
    Its a case of personal tastes i guess Dan,i was never happy with my GH2 when i had one and much prefer the overall color look of Canon DSLRs even my little EOS M,the new Sony records super sharp video but if a Canon 4K DSLR ever comes out with a less video look than the Sony i think it would be my choice.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by flinty View Post
    Its a case of personal tastes i guess Dan,i was never happy with my GH2 when i had one and much prefer the overall color look of Canon DSLRs even my little EOS M,the new Sony records super sharp video but if a Canon 4K DSLR ever comes out with a less video look than the Sony i think it would be my choice.
    Definitely a personal taste issue Chris. At twice the size (4K), I'm looking for twice the detail. From what I've seen, with the exception of Sony, the current 4K cameras, including the GH4, provide no greater detail than 2K. Good for post cropping, but not image quality.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dan.carter View Post
    Definitely a personal taste issue Chris. At twice the size (4K), I'm looking for twice the detail. From what I've seen, with the exception of Sony, the current 4K cameras, including the GH4, provide no greater detail than 2K. Good for post cropping, but not image quality.
    Yes its all about content for me personaly Dan,i would rather watch an interesting well made film with good content like many of yours in 2k than boring stuff filmed 4k even if its on a 4k display.One thing with the HDR-AX100 there is great 4k resolution but from what i have seen colour wise i prefer the RX10.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dan.carter View Post
    From what I've seen, with the exception of Sony, the current 4K cameras, including the GH4, provide no greater detail than 2K. Good for post cropping, but not image quality.
    We must be wearing very different glasses.

I will admit that we have very different aesthetics when it comes to filming. You like the extra sharp, deep depth of field look, which I don't unless the subject matter calls for it. But to say that the GH4 provides no greater detail over 2K...... wow.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast