1. Collapse Details
    Follow Focus + Short Prime Lens + Matte Box
    I'd just like to put a feeler out to see if anyone has found a reliable follow focus that can a) reach short prime lenses and b) allow for a matte box to get snug up against said short prime. My Redrock v1 can do one or the other but not both.

I've been looking at the Edelkrone FF (v1 from 2011) but it seems that one doesn't fit common lens gears... I find that the main reason to have a follow focus is that the large clamp-on gear can help extend the lens throw and allow for more focussing precision.

I know this issue has been discussed, but has it been solved?

Many thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    DVXuser Sponsor
    ibhhvc,

Have you tried reversing the side the drive gear is on as seen here: http://store.redrockmicro.com/s.nl/c....f?category=19

You may also consider getting a screw on lens shade for your shorter lenses so you can essentially "extend" them and get yourself more room to play on your rails.

Hope that helps!
    Loren Simons
    Senior Rig Technician
    Redrock Micro

(Account is Inactive as of 7/7/14)

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks, Loren, I actually have done that little trick and it's a wonderful option with the RR FF. BUT, it forces me to choose between FF and matte box. With the gearbox on the camera side of the gear, the gearbox hits the camera body and the gear ends up too far forward to reach the lens. With the gearbox away from the camera, the gear can get snug up against the barrel of the lens, but the gearbox then prevents the matte box from getting close enough to the front of the lens.

4. Collapse Details
    DVXuser Sponsor
    Hm, must be a very short lens! But then it sounds like one of those screw on lens shades would be your most economical answer. Or a new slimmer microFollowFocus
    Loren Simons
    Senior Rig Technician
    Redrock Micro

(Account is Inactive as of 7/7/14)

5. Collapse Details
    Ah, very nice redesign. I will investigate...

6. Collapse Details
    I just want to quickly post my found solution:

I just got the second version Redrock Follow Focus in the mail (not the one mentioned above, but the first one built with QR clamps). This FF solves the problem! First, the gear sits much closer to the gearbox, allowing it to get closer to the lens (in the front/back direction) even when the gearbox it bumped up against the camera body, and the slide has been lengthened (from v1) allowing the gear to slide much closer to the lens (in the left/right direction).

The result is follow focus + SMC Takumar (a tiny lens maybe 52mm in diameter at its largest) + matte box.

7. Collapse Details
    For future ref - those cheap rubber lens hoods are great in this situation - you still use your matte box, but you can grab and inch or more depending on the hood.