1. Collapse Details
    Doc setup, and my AF100-2013 in review
    After over two years' of various trials and errors, I settled on this setup where it's stayed for most of 2013 (and more than likely will through 2014). Kudos to Mac for the form factor affirmation and various folks that sold me their used rig parts on the cheap.

AF100 support.jpg

General rundown of what's there... short 1/8" aluminum bar with 4 holes drilled in it, bolted to body on one side and Cinevate rail block on the other. Shoulder plate is a CPM part. Handle is a Berkey Systems part, modified with a tally switch - can either mount to a rail or directly to that rail block spud. Yeah, handle and shoulder support only attach via a single rod... the AF is light enough that it's never been a problem. Usually I leave off the shoulder support unless I know I'll be shoulder-shooting for extended times. Side-mounted cold shoe extender is perfect for wireless receivers or NanoFlash unit. For monitoring, I put a hood or loupe on the stock LCD and call it good (it's at least as good as most 3rd party EVF's I've tried, and cheaper). Mic mount was replaced by a JROD "twin mount" to keep profile low. Shoulder support can be mounted to the other side and positioned slightly back to shoot using the camera's stock EVF, or moved to the rail block bottom hole to raise the camera (though I rarely do either). Everything adjusts easily on the fly, handle can move forward, back, or rotate to get to just the right position, and it all slips easily into a standard prosumer-sized video camera bag or backpack.

Usual 2-lens kit is a Leica D 14-50/2.8-3.5 and a Sigma 50-150/2.8, which I chose for the greater working range vs. the 12-35/35-100 combo. I have Nikon mount zooms (Tok 11-16) and primes (mostly converted Leica R) and the SpeedBooster adapter for more relaxed working scenarios - HUGE fan of the SpeedBooster on the AF100, still waiting on the "ideal" midrange zoom to possibly replace the Leica 14-50... considering an all-Sigma zoom set (10-20/3.5, 18-35/1.8, 17-70/2.8-4, 50-150), still not sold on the 17-70.

This year it shot everything from low-budget business profiles to many many VIP (and plain old IP) interviews to "reality-esque" PBS pilot to open heart surgeries. Very positive client reception to 90% of that work, no negative comments due to any specific fault of the camera (no negative comments at all, actually... just no comment at all). Only had need or desire to rent different cameras on three occasions - once for a 5d-specific shoot, once for a Sony EX-specific shoot, once with the FS700 to roll super slow-mo.

Basically unless I get a large enough contract that necessitates different equipment, get a dirt cheap deal, am ultrawowed by some new debut, or drop this on the pavement, there's not much desire to waste money on an "upgrade."

Just my humble experience as a mid-to-low budget, often one man band shooter-for-hire.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbob View Post
    After over two years' of various trials and errors, I settled on this setup where it's stayed for most of 2013 (and more than likely will through 2014). Kudos to Mac for the form factor affirmation and various folks that sold me their used rig parts on the cheap.

AF100 support.jpg

Basically unless I get a large enough contract that necessitates different equipment, get a dirt cheap deal, am ultrawowed by some new debut, or drop this on the pavement, there's not much desire to waste money on an "upgrade."

Just my humble experience as a mid-to-low budget, often one man band shooter-for-hire.
    Yeah, we're not quite there yet, are we? Of course NAB might well change that, but nothing's come down the pipe for under $5000 that really replaces what an AF/FS100 does. The VG series is nice (and cheaper) but that' still about it (Black Magic cams still a little too much of an experiment for me right now). That said, I do think NAB will have at least one cam, if not 2 or 3 that make the upgrade worth the fuss. It' be really nice to see something like the AF100 with some of the often suggested upgrades. Good post BTW!
    John Vincent
    Evil Genius Entertainment.com

3. Collapse Details
    The Sigma 50-150 is a superb telephoto zoom, it operates like a cine lens. I wonder if the sigma 24-70 is similar in operation as I find that is a very useful range for shooting interviews. I have heard rumors of a 4k full frame p2 upgrade of the af 100.