Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    pulling your leg

Seriously the blackbird is easy to balance due to the inverted T design, unlike the merlin which you need to be a wizard to set up with the baffling array of mass distribution and adjustment.

im not aware of a 3axis with a nice stage yet, let alone electrified and programmable - indeed interesting and possible.

But a steadicam op will be the person who can trouble shoot it.

As for walking like a duck, well a 3axis doesnt offer and up/down stabilisation so to keep your footsteps from showing in your shot and maintain good headroom you are doing to need to.. walk like a duck, all while your second op commands the direction of a camera I assume you have someone who is psychic enough to know exactly where you want to point the camera.

Yep 3axis is super interesting but most uses of them at the moment could be better done with a mechanical stabiliser.. at a fraction of the cost if you are charging for that second op.

S

2. Collapse Details
    Any of these rigs you hold in one hand is a recipe for carpal tunnel syndrome. Real wrist torture.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucknfl View Post
    Any of these rigs you hold in one hand is a recipe for carpal tunnel syndrome. Real wrist torture.
    Check this guy out, http://devinsupertramp.com/ oh to be young again………and inspired.

4. Collapse Details
    1. is it pretty easy to balance?
    2. Can you change the battery without taking the camera off the blackbird?
    3. Have you tried using a mic on the camera with the Blackbird?

Quote Originally Posted by Vardalos View Post
    I finally decided on this one, http://www.camotionllc.com/blackbird.htm it will handle all my cameras the Panasonic GH3, AG-HPX 250 and BMCC.

5. Collapse Details
    If you want your Blackbird stabilizer to be easy to balance buy the kit, it has with it a universal docking bracket and table clamp to support it while your balancing it. Also I use a Manfrotto 577 Rapid connection adapter and Manfrotto 323 RC2 quick release adapter combined on the Blackbird so that I can take the camera off and put it back on without re-balancing.

The camera I'm using mine with right now is a Panasonic GH3 and with the quick release set up changing batteries is never a problem, I'll probably also use it with a BMCC or BMPCC down the road.

Using a mic on the camera should not be a problem but keep in mind the more weight you put on the stabilizer the harder it will be to use it for extended periods of time.

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks and I have a GH3 which I'd put on the Blackbird.
    If you want your Blackbird stabilizer to be easy to balance buy the kit, it has with it a universal docking bracket and table clamp to support it while your balancing it. Also I use a Manfrotto 577 Rapid connection adapter and Manfrotto 323 RC2 quick release adapter combined on the Blackbird so that I can take the camera off and put it back on without re-balancing.

The camera I'm using mine with right now is a Panasonic GH3 and with the quick release set up changing batteries is never a problem, I'll probably also use it with a BMCC or BMPCC down the road.

Using a mic on the camera should not be a problem but keep in mind the more weight you put on the stabilizer the harder it will be to use it for extended periods of time.

7. Collapse Details
    Check this guy out, http://devinsupertramp.com/ oh to be young again………and inspired.
    What stabilizer was he using?
    Steve Karl
    sightsea.com/music
    2 Panasonic GH2s - Lumix 14-42mm f/3.5, Olympus 17mm f/1.8, Lumix 12-35mm f/2.8, Lumix 45-200mm f/4.0

8. Collapse Details
    Watch Devin's Videos, you'll see he is using a Glidecam Stabilizer. I think you should weigh your camera set-up, then based in the weight of your camera decide which system would work best. I picked the Blackbird because it would work well with my camera set-up and others that I might use.

9. Collapse Details
    Based on this thread, I bought the Blackbird. It arrived on Saturday. I will give it a shot this month since it is my slower period.
    I'm wondering what the best lens would be to use with the GH3? I know wider is better, but how wide? I assume a lens with image stabilization and auto focus is the best. I also plan to use this a bit indoors, so I'll looking for a decent f-stop. I have the 7-14, but it only gets to f/4.
    I'm wonder if the 12-35mm would be the second best option or just stick with a prime like the 17mm Olympus I have.

10. Collapse Details
    For interiors your Panasonic 7-14mm would be perfect except for the fact it's an f4 and may be too slow. I'm planing on using my Blackbird for Steady Cam Real-Estate walk throughs. I think this combination may work for me.

A Metabones Nikon G to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster combined with a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 Lens.The Metabones will make that lens quite a bit wider and faster. If anyone has used this combination their comments will be appreciated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast