Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Best Hand Held Small Camera Stabilizer
    Has anyone found a better one than this? http://cheesycam.com/xcam-sabre-mini...bilizer-review Your comments will be appreciated.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Vardalos View Post
    Has anyone found a better one than this? http://cheesycam.com/xcam-sabre-mini...bilizer-review Your comments will be appreciated.

Funny you should ask. Nearly bought this yesterday. I watched a lot of sample footage and it just doesn't get it as smooth as I would like. The Merlin 2 is currently on sale for$ 400 and B&H. I plan on getting that instead.

3. Collapse Details
    I just purchased a very lightly used (736 shutter actuations) Olympus OMD E-M5 body with it's 5 axis Image Stabilization for this purpose. Mainly for use only when I have to have the camera handheld or in motion. Initial tests are very encouraging, don't know if being 75 I'd be able to master the "duckwalk" to keep steps from causing "movement" but it is amazing at handling "handheld jitters".

No balancing "act" needed and it uses the same lenses the GH3 takes.

4. Collapse Details
    I finally decided on this one, http://www.camotionllc.com/blackbird.htm it will handle all my cameras the Panasonic GH3, AG-HPX 250 and BMCC.

5. Collapse Details
    I am strongly considering the Merlin. What did you like about this over some others you considered?

6. Collapse Details
    I based my decision on the videos I watched using the Blackbird. My second choice would have been the Glidecam 4000 HD.
    What are some reasons why you might choose the Blackbird over a Steadicam Merlin® or Glidecam HD 1000/2000/4000®?
    1. Blackbird has higher ratios of moment of inertia to weight in any axis.
    2. Blackbird has the best engineered camera stage for easy horizontal plane adjustment.
    3. Blackbird has SmoothTouch friction adjustment in the roll and tilt axes to reduce roll and tilt pendulum motion.
    4. Blackbird on-axis handle design does not produce the wrist torque fatigue associated with the off- axis handle design of the Glidecam® models. Note: Off- axis handle designs do not reduce vertical bobbing.
    5. Blackbird stability with small cameras (0.5 to 1.5 lbs) is much better than the Merlin® while only adding about 0.5 lb to the total rig weight. For cameras weighing more than 4 lb the Blackbird weighs about the same as the Merlin® but has significantly larger moments of inertia in all three axes.
    Last edited by Vardalos; 12-15-2013 at 04:45 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    I got the Blackbird and tried to balance a Sony NEX7 it was a pain in the butt. I returned it. I tried to other stabilizers. I'm waiting for the 3 Axis motorized stabilizers to come down in price.

8. Collapse Details
    Blackbird is the one.

But these things might make a difference..
    Merlin - packs smaller.
    Glidecam - more robust - can use as a monopod or suchlike

The linked cheesycam one obviously does not spread the mass in a manner to create any useful rotational inertia.

S

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by 7DDude View Post
    I got the Blackbird and tried to balance a Sony NEX7 it was a pain in the butt. I returned it. I tried to other stabilizers. I'm waiting for the 3 Axis motorized stabilizers to come down in price.
    If you can't balance a blackbird you are lazy and not putting in the time to learn your craft; typical of dudes who own 7d s.

A 3 axis brushless gimbal is far harder to balance than a blackbird as is needs balancing in X,Y and Z axes, not just Y and Z

S

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    If you can't balance a blackbird you are lazy and not putting in the time to learn your craft; typical of dudes who own 7d s.

A 3 axis brushless gimbal is far harder to balance than a blackbird as is needs balancing in X,Y and Z axes, not just Y and Z

S
    Listen UK Boy! Theirs no reason to get personal here! NONE! Don't own a 7d any more and that's an immature statement to make. I understand that a 3 axis stabilizer MAY be Harder to balance, but that is changing as I speak, the technology on these devices is only going to get better and cheaper, and way easier to operate, compared to using the mechanical stabilizers. Don't want to learn the duck walk, don't want to retrain myself to use a mechanical stabilizer every time I use it. Would like to have a one hand operation also. What you call lazy, and learning your craft is being replaced by a number of very well known factors, that are used to qualify products that will sell in a particular market place, (Simplicity, Ease of use, and Quality.) There is nothing wrong with that! Why do you think these new 3 Axis Stabilizers are the rage in the video tools market right now? It's because there are Many, Many people who do not like the mechanical stabilizers, and see the many benefits of these newer ones coming to market. And as far as set up goes, You will see that soon there will be multiple camera and lens profiles that will be stored in memory for quick balancing. Not as of yet but It will be here sooner than you think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast