1. Collapse Details
    And the craigslist winner is. . .
    Here you go guys. The person who finally demanded someone PAY to work for him:

"

Looking to hire an assistant for video and photography projects.

Prefer experience, but will train the right person. Project coming up on January 15th, from 11am to 4pm (subject to change).

I produce video marketing spots & documentaries, as well as photography, websites, virtual tours and more.

Please provide a brief description of your experience and your hourly rate. And because people are flaky, if you want this job, you will need to make a $50 deposit to be considered. NO EXCEPTIONS. You don't show up? You lose your $50.

After we have worked together on a few projects, this requirement will relax.

Also, I can show you how to make as much money as you want. Help me find clients that need a website, video marketing, virtual tours, search engine optimization or photography and I will pay you a 15% finders fee. Sales of $3000 are not uncommon at all. That could mean a $450 commission FOR EACH COMPANY YOU CAN FIND. I do the heavy selling, you just find companies that want to improve their online presence.

Write to me and please follow the instructions in this email to be considered."

2. Collapse Details
    That's not exactly what he's asking for. I think it's a rude and poor way to try to get applicants, and an inadvisable practice in any case, but I certainly understand where he's coming from.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

3. Collapse Details
    Perfect! Where do I send my $50 ?

4. Collapse Details
    That's a funny approach (if it's not a scam), but how many of us have had PA's, extras, even principals just not show up on the day of the job?

5. Collapse Details
    Steak Knife Member David G. Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post

...Also, I can show you how to make as much money as you want. ... "

Step one - Take out a Craigslist ad requiring $50.00 to be considered for a job.

Lather - Rinse - Repeat!
    "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations"
    -Orson Wells.

"To me the great hope is... people that normally wouldn't be making movies will make them and suddenly some little fat girl in Ohio will be the new Mozart and will make a beautiful film using her father's camera-corder and the "Professionalism" of movie making will be destroyed forever and it will finally become an art form."
    -Francis Ford Coppola.

6. Collapse Details
    Please provide a brief description of your experience and your hourly rate. And because people are flaky, if you want this job, you will need to make a $50 deposit to be considered. NO EXCEPTIONS. You don't show up? You lose your $50.

After we have worked together on a few projects, this requirement will relax.
    Does this mean I have to reapply and pay the $50 fee for each of the first few projects?

7. Collapse Details
    kinda like those multi-level or network marketing companies where you have to pay to become their sales rep:-P but sure as hell sounds more like a scam than anything:-P

Penn and Teller's old show Bulls*%t covers that pretty well, episode is call Easy Money, and NSFW:-P
    George Tsai :-D

"Sanity is for the weak!" - Dawn of War

"I do not suffer from schizophrenia, I quite enjoy it.

And so do I" - EA

8. Collapse Details
    This is very relevent to something that just happened to me. I wanted to hire a PA for a wedding that would support 3 shooters. My ad required me to meet the guy ahead of time (so that I can show them how and where gear was organized and so that I can meet them in person before relying on them for someone's big day). It's something that is necessary for a new crew member from my perspective.

We scheduled that we would meet today (the job is on Sunday). 5 minutes after he was suposed to arrive he texts that he isn't feeling well. I politely tell him that unfortunately I can't use him on Sunday. He says he understands and then backtracks and says that its odd to meet before a job and he would have been just as useful whether we met or not.

Clearly he doesn't understand that he has not given me any reason to believe he is reliable, let alone that I can't spend the time during a wedding to show him where things are located while i'm shooting. Yes he might actually be sick whether I believe him or not is irrelevant, he is of no use to me if he doesn't know what to do before he has to do it. Even if he really is sick, he could easily still be sick on Sunday.

Yes, some of the posters are unrealistic and unfair with their offers, however, craigslist is also a cesspool of people who want quick money and don't care about the end product. They blanket respond to ads and feel no obligation to act professionally or put in the work that was the original ask.

Just out of curiousity, how much would you expect to pay an assistant for a wedding? I believe my offer was reasonable but want to hear peoples thoughts about what is reasonable for someone that has very little experience and isn't ready to be a shooter yet.

9. Collapse Details
    Flakey PA's is just part of the Craigslist deal it seems. I won't even bother taking them off of Craigslist anymore. I'd rather hire someone I know, or friend of a friend with little or no experience over a PA off Craigslist. Reliability is more important IMO and people are less likely to burn someone who isn't a stranger.
    A TV show I worked on a few years ago lost most of our PAs and high school aged extras because the weather got really nice the Saturday of the shoot. No kidding. The only ones who showed up were the ones that we already knew. This was a paid gig too. Luckily our DP was really good and managed to make a couple kids look like a crowd through good framing.

10. Collapse Details
    All that is true and I've met with people before shoots, that's not a big deal. Asking someone to pay a deposit is.