1. Collapse Details
    Make You Own 22" Camera Platform/Riser. Alternative to Spider Pod
    Wanted to share since I finally took some photos. I often have to shoot over the crowd: concerts, conventions, news events, etc. and the risers supplied by the hotel or provided at a news/PR event are too shaky for me, especially on telephoto. I don't shoot news but I do documentaries where I have to cover a press conference and I can't risk shakiness. Over the years I've rented Spider Pods but they are too heavy to shlep and expensive to rent.

Here's some shots of what I built, I've used it several times and it is SOLID. It's rock steady because of an adjustable middle support I have made. The supports are two painters platforms:

http://us.wernerco.com/en/view/Produ...Scaffold/AP-20

Then I have a 4'x4' 1/2" square of plywood I bolt on and in the middle is $20 of adjustable pipe. Total cost with black cloth is about $160. No more Spider Pods for me!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ned Miller
    Chicago-based Freelance Videographer
    www.nedmiller.com

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Looks nice and solid. The portable 'professional' one we have in our studio is wobbly and difficult to use. You almost can't breath on it without affecting the shot.

3. Collapse Details
    I have one of those little Werner mini-scaffolds and it is a terrific piece of kit for under $50. They are very solid, and reasonably light.

Grant

4. Collapse Details
    That is very cool and resourceful! I needed just a slight elevation that gave me about a 9.75". I purchase (3) hard plastic / collapsible folding stool each supporting 300lbs, and (3) Metal Corner Braces 3" and screwed them in the middle of the stoles to keep tripod legs secure and not slipping off the stool. It was the best thing! Light weight, mobility, fast and easy setup. Best part was that it was all under $40 bucks. You can add small sand bags on each for more stubility. Good Luck.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Easy-Reac...PL-1/203247301
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...5307/202033902

5. Collapse Details
    Thank you so much for this! Did you make the adjustable pipe from parts or can you buy that as-is? I'm having trouble find this at my local hardware stores. Thanks!

6. Collapse Details
    Nice alternative to Spiderpod
    I wanted to rent a Spiderpod for an upcoming event, but it is too costly. This looks like a decent, affordable alternative. The only drawback is that it doesn't isolate the tripod from the camera operator, but it looks like it is study enough to not wobble. Thanks!
    https://vimeo.com/davepatterson
    "preditor" (shooter/editor)

7. Collapse Details
    What about shakiness though?
    Hey Nedcam, the thing looks awesome and it's the perfect size. But I have a question. Usually the reason why something like the Spiderpod or other solutions have the tripod platform and the person seperate (somewhat). That's generally because any movement shakes the camera and it sucks. I'm sure we've all been there. Don't you get the same problem with this setup? Or is the idea that the "secret ingredient" cuts down on that? I'm not worried about creaking or noise since I always take an XLR drop from AV just concerned me or another camera operator shifting around would shake the thing.

Also, it looks like you didn't install carpet on it (though I guess most of the time I'm filming at conferences it's always on s*%tty floors so that wouldn't be different). I'm stoked about this option, just wanted to dig in a little bit more! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nedcam View Post
    Wanted to share since I finally took some photos. I often have to shoot over the crowd: concerts, conventions, news events, etc. and the risers supplied by the hotel or provided at a news/PR event are too shaky for me, especially on telephoto. I don't shoot news but I do documentaries where I have to cover a press conference and I can't risk shakiness. Over the years I've rented Spider Pods but they are too heavy to shlep and expensive to rent.

Here's some shots of what I built, I've used it several times and it is SOLID. It's rock steady because of an adjustable middle support I have made. The supports are two painters platforms:

Then I have a 4'x4' 1/2" square of plywood I bolt on and in the middle is $20 of adjustable pipe. Total cost with black cloth is about $160. No more Spider Pods for me!

8. Collapse Details
    Looks cool. . .one worry I have is that stepping on the very edge would topple the whole thing since the supports are not on the very edge. . .know what I mean?

9. Collapse Details
    too big
    Quote Originally Posted by nedcam View Post

Good luck carrying that monster around.
    Savva Svet
    Director/DP/Filmmaker
    www.savva-svet.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Great DIY riser. Thx for sharing...