Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
    You may not want to hear this, but maybe it's your technique rather than your cameras.
    You may not want to hear this, but people don't want to hear you trolling them with a pattern of negative comments that veer off the substance of his question. Or is everybody else wrong?

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    The DOF difference between the m4/3 format and APS-C is only 1 F-Stop, so selecting faster m4/3 lenses is an easy fix if depth of field is an issue for you. Lots of m4/3 f/0.95 lenses around.

The new "Speed Booster" adapters are another m4/3 route to get the SAME or better DOF of the APS-C format, while getting one additional F-Stop in lens speed. For example a 50mm f/1.4 lens becomes a 35mm f/1.0 lens with a m4/3 "Speed Booster" adapter. ( a 24-70 f/2.8 zoom lens becomes a 17-50mm f/2.0 lens with the SAME DOF that an APS-C camera has )

I think you are writing off the m4/3 format before you've explored all of your options.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    It's not just depth if field, owning a gh2 for 2 years then a gh3, I used a friends 5d mark ii to mix cams for a short film and the 5d looked WAY more professional. Maybe I'd have to go full frame and the 70d wouldn't get this same look.

4. Collapse Details
    What lenses are you using? I use the GH cameras a lot and I've been quite happy with the results. Some situations better than others to be honest but generally quite good. It's all down to glass in my opinion and you don't have to spend a lot. I have canon FD lens which was about 30 and that gives a much nicer image that my RED lenses.

Saying that you NEED full frame isn't right. That would mean that everything shot on the Alexa and Epic didn't look professional.

I think you should try and learn to use what you have. So you can't get those creamy images like from the 5D? Well firstly, you can. You just need faster glass. And if you don't want to buy that, try making pretty image with a wider DOF.

Lots of beautiful stuff has been shot on the GH cameras. Look at what they have done and try to emulate that in your own work.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gutterball321 View Post
    the 5d looked WAY more professional
    Can you explain what you mean by this ?

I've used both cameras and the main differences I find are...

- Better low-light performance with the 5D ( I don't do a lot of night shooting, but if I did a C100 or a 5D Mk3 camera would be first on my list )
    - Very shallow DOF with fast lenses, but most of the time it's TOO shallow, so I'm stopping down to f/4.0 - f/5.6 to get a workable DOF range ( this equates to f/2.0 - f/2.8 with Micro 4/3 )
    - Better skin-tone if you don't do color correction and grading in post ( I ALWAYS color correct and grade, so this makes no difference to me )

What I do like about the Micro 4/3 format is...

- Unlimited recording times with no over-heat issues
    - Able to use tons of older Canon FD, Nikon AI-S lenses that are dirt cheap to buy
    - The SpeedBooster tech that creates extremely fast lens options ( every f/1.4 lens becomes a f/1.0 lens, every f/2.0 lens becomes a f/1.4 lens )
    - Lower cost m4/3 bodies ( the GH3 has been on sale for less than $900 )
    - The Blackmagic Pocket Cine camera that can be bought for $995 ( 13 stops of dynamic range recorded in RAW format )

Also, if the rumors hold out there is a 4K m4/3 camera coming from Panasonic next year, which will be able to use all of the current m4/3 and adapted lenses.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by szegedin View Post
    You may not want to hear this, but people don't want to hear you trolling them with a pattern of negative comments that veer off the substance of his question. Or is everybody else wrong?
    Giving factual advice isn't trolling.

Learn to use the tools you have properly is the message. That isn't negative its a fact. The OP doesn't know how to use the tools he has if he can't achieve APSC DOF with a GH camera. Comments that clients remark he doesn't get a look like kids on youtube with a T3i prove he doesn't know how to use his tools properly.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gutterball321 View Post
    It's not just depth if field, owning a gh2 for 2 years then a gh3, I used a friends 5d mark ii to mix cams for a short film and the 5d looked WAY more professional. Maybe I'd have to go full frame and the 70d wouldn't get this same look.
    What is it that looks more professional? Please breakdown the image aspects and we can help you learn to achieve it.

The Speedbooster is a godsend for M4/3 adds to why it is one of the most flexible systems out there to get different types of looks.

8. Collapse Details
    We routinely cut between different cameras depending on the need, including a Red Epic, AF100, C300, 5DmkIII, GH2, F3, and a few others, and 99.9% of the clients can not tell which footage is from which camera.

9. Collapse Details
    here are 2 ss of the same scene. I filmed them both and had been using my GH3 for a long time and it was the first time I had ever touched a 5dmii. I used the olymput 45mm 1.8 lens on the gh3 and the $100 50mm 1.8 lens on the 5d. Both were set to custom white balance set at the same time on the same white board. The gh3 doesnt do as good with hot spots, i know the gh3 is over exposed but even on other shots parts of the shot were blown out while the subject was correct, with the 5d it kept the hotspots under control with better color and better depth of field too (all on my first time touching the camera).

5d footage.jpggh3ss.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gutterball321; 01-17-2014 at 10:55 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    What aperture was the Oly 45 at? What aperture was the Canon 50mm set at?

Looks to me like your focus is off on the GH3 shot. That is a crisp lens and the focus plane looks to be on the woods in the background not on the actors face.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast