Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. Collapse Details
    best 2 camera option for around $2500?
    #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    174
    Default
    I am a videographer that does photography as a hobby. I currently own a Panasonic GH2 and a GH3. I chose the Panasonic GH series because I love not having a recording limit and they do not overheat and shut off. I have been getting questions from my clients why I cant get the shallow depth of field as your average youtuber, and I realized its because the Panasonic line just doesnt cut it. Sharp images but just doesnt stand out on youtube as your average 12 year old with a t3i.

    So i am thinking of selling my gear and going one of 2 options. I do video first but also enjoy photography, and I know either option would be fine for photography.

    so option 1:
    2 Canon 70d's. 2 of the same camera would make my life easier and probably look more professional. I wouldnt have to worry as much about matching footage in post either. Just need to know if this camera has a recording limit or overheats? I had a Canon 7d in the past which over heated, had to be restarted every 12 minutes and ruined me on a couple shoots when it overheated and wouldnt turn back for the rest of the shoot. Is the 70d improved from this?

    Option 2:
    Either a Canon 5d Mark ii with a T3i/T4i or something similar
    or
    Canon 6d with the T3i/T4i or something similar/cheap.
    I cant find which would give better video between the 5dmii or the 6d.

    Some of you may say to stick with the GH cameras. If these canon cameras will all over heat or not be able to break the recording limit I may have to. But I would like that extra shallow depth of field and something a little better for photography. I didnt notice much of a difference between my GH3 and Canon 7d video wise, but mixing my gh3 with a friends 5dmii was not even useable because the 5d was so much better.

    any advice or recommendations on these options? I need the cameras for interviews, filmmaking, weddings and promotional videos so pretty much every situation you can think of.



    ***I also want to know if anyone has video interviews or talking heads with the Canon 70d. All I can ever find for test footage is nature shots which dont really help me. Unless people are close to the camera in the test footage, it is pretty much pointless.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Default
    I'm not offering this as an informed response per se, but rather a philosophical approach: I try not to spend too much on things that depreciate fast. After all, just look at this board, which is based on the Panasonic cameras everyone was demanding for indy video in 2007. Remember when everyone needed a 35mm lens adapter? Things change.

    A 5d3 is going to be virtually worthless in three or four years. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not buying an HVX200 today. Who is? So this is an issue to me.

    Do you have an opinion on those Blackmagic pocket cinema cameras? Not sure how fast a lens you can put on micro 4/3, but they're only $999.

    I'm trying to find out whether using an a/c adapter reduces the overheating on a t*i. Read somewhere it's less of a problem with the t4i/t5i.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    174
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by szegedin View Post
    I'm not offering this as an informed response per se, but rather a philosophical approach: I try not to spend too much on things that depreciate fast. After all, just look at this board, which is based on the Panasonic cameras everyone was demanding for indy video in 2007. Remember when everyone needed a 35mm lens adapter? Things change.

    A 5d3 is going to be virtually worthless in three or four years. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not buying an HVX200 today. Who is? So this is an issue to me.

    Do you have an opinion on those Blackmagic pocket cinema cameras? Not sure how fast a lens you can put on micro 4/3, but they're only $999.

    I'm trying to find out whether using an a/c adapter reduces the overheating on a t*i. Read somewhere it's less of a problem with the t4i/t5i.
    Good points. I dont have much of an interest in the black magic pocket cams. They dont have the 2 things I want, shallow depth of field and good photography. I also just purchased the new rMBP and it wouldnt be able to handle editing the bmpcc, it already edits my GH3 footage super slow compared to every computer I have ever used at work/friends/internships


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Default
    I hear you on the computer bottleneck thing. Beg to differ on the Blackmagic camera, I think the footage looks great. Things are developing so fast, I would be wary of spending more than a grand. Used t2is are pretty much not dropping in price (299 body KEH) because of magic lantern, while t5is are not much more than that new. Meanwhile some codec that can bridge the gap between h264 and raw is just around the corner. Getting to old to keep up with this. Seems like cameras are about to settle at a point where something less than $1000 is good enough for absolutely anything. What about the Canon eos-M as camera 2? Selling for 299 brand new right now. It's a good time to have problems like you have.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Senior Member David W. Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    6,715
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by gutterball321 View Post
    I am a videographer that does photography as a hobby. I currently own a Panasonic GH2 and a GH3. I chose the Panasonic GH series because I love not having a recording limit and they do not overheat and shut off. I have been getting questions from my clients why I cant get the shallow depth of field as your average youtuber, and I realized its because the Panasonic line just doesnt cut it. Sharp images but just doesnt stand out on youtube as your average 12 year old with a t3i..
    You may not want to hear this, but maybe it's your technique rather than your cameras.

    While a M4/3 sensor does not have quite as shallow depth of field as a S35 size sensor camera, if you know what you are doing you can get depth of field so shallow only a nose is in focus. So saying that the Panasonic line just doesn't cut it, it not really true. Also take note, that by adding a Metabones Speed Booster to your M4/3 cameras could get you closer to your desired results.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    174
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
    You may not want to hear this, but maybe it's your technique rather than your cameras.

    While a M4/3 sensor does not have quite as shallow depth of field as a S35 size sensor camera, if you know what you are doing you can get depth of field so shallow only a nose is in focus. So saying that the Panasonic line just doesn't cut it, it not really true. Also take note, that by adding a Metabones Speed Booster to your M4/3 cameras could get you closer to your desired results.

    Everyone keeps saying this but its not my technique, ive used these canon cameras and got the shallow depth of field and a better look for short films. I just cant figure out if I can get around the overheating and recording limits which is why I havent made the change yet.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    539
    Default
    6Dhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...2&tag=dfn0c-20
    70Dhttp://www.amazon.com/Canon-20-2-Dig...1&keywords=70D

    Around 2500$ for both and you get a great combination of cameras! With one FF and one APSC body you are doubling the FOV of your lenses!
    6D is one of the best low light DSLRs and of course great for photography too!
    70D has the amazing new AF system, its better in low light than the previous crop models and very good for photography too! Better than the 7D was...
    They both have a 30min limit in recording and for the limited time Im using them I ve never seen them overheating...in fact except the 550D the 7D and the 5Dmkii I havent seen or heard overheating issues to the other bodies.
    Here is a wedding trailer shot mostly on 70D and 6D: https://vimeo.com/77483365#at=0
    I have a question...Except the 2500$ for the cameras, what is your budget for lenses?


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    174
    Default
    So you would go with the 6d over the 5dmark ii? I see i could probably get the 5d mark ii with the 24-70 lens on ebay for the same price as the 6d but didnt know the 6d and 70d fixed the overheating problem i had with my old 7d. Which would have better video?

    For lenses I already have the Tamron 17-50 2.8, the canon fd 28mm, 50mm and 35-105mm lenses. So for lenses i would def add the 50mm 1.4 right away and probably have to save for some new lenses later on.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    539
    Default
    Yes Id take the 6D over the 5Dmkii because its much cleaner in high ISOs!
    But Im afraid that you ll have problems with your lenses. The Tamron is a crop lens, so it will not work on a FF and I m not sure about your FD lenses...
    For the 70D the tamron should work with the new AF system, but I havent tried it and I dont know how well it will perform. I ve tried the sigma 17-50 and the 17-70 and they were horrible! Slow and noisy...!
    The canon STM lenses and the new sigma 18-35mm are the best with the new AF system! Canon 50mm 1.4 works fine...
    I dont know...since you will have to put lenses also in your 2500$ budget, it might be better to go with the cheapest possible options...and that would be the 5Dmkii with the 24-70 that you have found and for a second body
    I would suggest the 600D because you can find it cheap, it doesnt overheat and it has a nice 3X crop mode...
    I m not sure if Im really helping you or confusing you more...


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #10
    Senior Member David W. Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    6,715
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by gutterball321 View Post
    Everyone keeps saying this but its not my technique
    Really, why would everybody be saying this then?

    You do realize that shooting with a GH2 using a 50mm lens @ f1.4 from 5' will give you a very shallow 1.5" depth of field?

    That is just one example!

    1 1/2 inch depth of field is pretty darn shallow. Are you sure it's not your technique, or is everybody else wrong?


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •