Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The Audio in the DVX
    Exclamation
    BiLGaMi Video Productions

The audio recording in the DVX is great so Im sure the HVX will be just as great what I dont like is the idea not being able to run the audio thru a mixer if shot with the P2.

bilgami@hotmail.com
    http://www.bilgamivideo.com
    Please contact Jason Ramsey for DVXuser signature advertising rates.

2. Collapse Details
    Why would you not be able to do that?
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

3. Collapse Details
    P2 Audio
    Question
    Can you off the P2 cards?
    Please contact Jason Ramsey for DVXuser signature advertising rates.

4. Collapse Details
    If you insist...

"Okay, listen up P2, you've been a good kid, but it's about time you understood there's not enough room in the world for the two of us. I'm gonna give you the count of 10 to git out a here. 1, 10. BAMMM!!!"

P2's been offed for good.

P2's allow us DVC-Pro. DVC-Pro allows for 4 channels of audio, on this camera anyways - 2 of which (at least) are balanced inputs).

But what ever gave you the idea that recording to P2 would exclude the Balanced Audio inputs and any hope of getting quality audio in from a separate mixer?
    Awake and Dreaming in 1080p

5. Collapse Details
    So, I understand that I can record directly into Final Cut Pro 5 in my powerbook, bypassing the P2 card. Is there any reason I shouldn't be able to simultaneously record audio through my Metric Halo firewire audio interface for pristine audio that will sync up perfectly with the video in FCP and live happily ever after?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tuface
    So, I understand that I can record directly into Final Cut Pro 5 in my powerbook, bypassing the P2 card. Is there any reason I shouldn't be able to simultaneously record audio through my Metric Halo firewire audio interface for pristine audio that will sync up perfectly with the video in FCP and live happily ever after?
    Well, two or three issues:

1) If you're running two separate apps simultaneously (for video and audio capture),
    a) They're not necessarily in exact sync (but see below)
    b) They may contend for resources and cause glitches (though I think a lot of people seem to do this, I wouldn't for anything critical, especially on a laptop)

2) I have FCP 5, but frankly haven't dealt with it yet (waiting to finish up a backlog of old projects first). But I seem to remember something about multitrack audio recording... so if you can indeed use your Metric Halo through, say, Core Audio to record everything at once in FCP, I think everything should likely be in sync.

I almost always capture to FCP and record to ProTools simultaneously, but on separate computers. I have a setup that usually enables me to feed my preamp output to both ProTools and the DVX simultaneously (usually the two main channels of a multitrack mix). This provides a good visual reference to align the audio visually by waveform. Sometimes I feed the DVX the OUTPUT of ProTools, but this of course has a little delay, and must be compensated for by shifting the audio... but, of course, such compensation often has to be done anyway due to mic-camera distances. However, by feeding the output of PT to the DVX, I'm prone to losing everything if there's a PT failure. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm too paranoid to do so in critical situations... the DVX recording of the preamp output is pretty nice, especially as a backup. I like backup; for major productions I'm quadruple-redundant!

How good is sync recording like this (or in 1a above)? well, here's the trick - I usually record in PT at 44.1 rather than 48, 'cause my primary products are often CDs. Even with the conversion, I've never seen slip of more than about 1/2 frame per hour of continuous recording. Without the conversion, it's usually a little closer. (Conversion done in PT at Tweak Head setting).

I hope this is helpful...
    -Barry
    "I'd like to say that I've never come across two know nothing pretenders on the weird wide web before, but unfortunately it's all too common and is exactly why, according to the last government survey, only 5% of all internet users ever use forums or chats. And it's exactly why I'm done with this one. You two really need to get jobs and out of your mother's basements. You can't fix stupid. And I don't have time for stupid." -swoopie

7. Collapse Details
    Panamaniac
    Ok... that whole Pro Tools setup must be rad... but before we get too far into this. Since the sound quality should be the same of the DVX or better (unless panny backtracks but does anyone think there is even a chance? ) help me get this straight... the Phantom power generator and the preamps are the problem, right?

What is a cheap way to solve/avoid this?

8. Collapse Details
    Good info Barry, thank you.

I'm more interested in recording at 24 bit, which is a limitation I'd put ahead of phantom power and preamps, which you can buy decent external units fairly cheap.

I haven't looked at the Latino's national spending lately. (why would I?)

9. Collapse Details
    Well, I mentioned ProTools as he setup I'm familiar with, but hopefully other sw/hw combinations would provide equally satisfactory results.

The preamps on the DVX indeed seem to be the weakest part of the audio system; again, not bad at all for a camera, but not up to par with decent dedicated pres. Running external pres and sending their line-level input into the DVX gives a better result. I've had pretty good results (balanced against portability) with a PreSonus BlueTube 2-channel preamp. Needs power source, though...

Quote Originally Posted by tuface
    I haven't looked at the Latino's national spending lately. (why would I?)
    I'd assume it has to do with fair representation in programming... me, I'm holding out for some decent Quechua programming in the U.S....
    "I'd like to say that I've never come across two know nothing pretenders on the weird wide web before, but unfortunately it's all too common and is exactly why, according to the last government survey, only 5% of all internet users ever use forums or chats. And it's exactly why I'm done with this one. You two really need to get jobs and out of your mother's basements. You can't fix stupid. And I don't have time for stupid." -swoopie

10. Collapse Details
    Couldn't we go firewire out of the audio interface into the HVX using P2 and keep the signal clean at 24 bits, or is the HVX only capable of processing 16bit? In other words, if we bypassed the HVX's A/D converters altogether, can it keep the audio at 24 bit?.

I'm with you on the Quechuan thing. How about The Inca Empire Strikes Back as a future project?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast