Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Philip Nelson View Post
    2. I might take flack for this but... I really feel the low numbers of entrances are due to the prizes not being announced in entirety BEFORE the contest even starts. Other contests that get much higher entrances always dangle the rewards front and center upon immediate start.
    I tend to agree with this point. I also think that it might be worth advertising future fest and the prizes up for grabs on sites like nofilmschool, cinescopophilia, cheesycam, and video related sites. Those guys always seem desperate for content and it might just attract some new members to this forum.

2. Collapse Details
    YouTube - Yes

Length time - Shorter. Problem is at 6 minutes you had filmmakers use up 1:30 mins just on credits alone, not really building a story. Here you had 10 minutes and it seemed like forever before or If the story went anywhere. More time does not mean more story. Just means more space to fill.

Voting - Most fest the voting are held by a panel of judges that are impartial and unbias.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Portfolio of an Entertainment Blogger

3. Collapse Details
    Do we have the results of the votes yet???
    EDITING SYSTEMS:
    1) ADOBE CC Computer: Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Motherboard with i7 3.5hgz quad processor, 32gig Ram.
    2). ADOBE CC on HP notebook with i7 Processor, 6gig 4000 video card.
    3). EDIUS 5.5 on a 3.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo & 4 GIG Ram.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Charli View Post
    Voting - Most fest the voting are held by a panel of judges that are impartial and unbias.
    This was the case here as well. The panel vote is what determines prize awards. We still allow audience choice, which will be a combination of all the votes we received from the users here.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

5. Collapse Details
    Though, I think Charli might argue that since the mods are part of the panel, and various people know each other to greater or lesser extent, it could be perceived as not being completely impartial and unbiased.

With a small return fest like this, I don't think it was a huge deal, and it was an opportunity to elicit feedback on moving towards a more panel based awarding of prizes/winners (while still maintaining an audience vote as well).

But, as we move forward, particularly with an annual fest format, we would definitely like to have a panel made up entirely of non-dvxuser, industry professionals, festival coordinators, etc.
    Last edited by Barry_Green; 11-15-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

6. Collapse Details
    Hi guys and gals, great fest! congrats to each and everyone of you!

1. youtube viewing was awesome, so easy. a non-issue.

2. the voting was so simple, i made a list of the movies and wrote a vote next to each one. it took me all of 3 minutes.

3. the length: after years and years of 6 minute movies, which taught us how to tell better and tighter stories, we suddenly added 4 minutes.
    which noone asked for. I always wished i had an extra minute, so for me, 7-8 minute shorts would be spot on. 10 minutes is too long.
    Nothing will go viral at 10 minutes, i could barely get through wes anderson's new 9 minute short that came out last week, and that's freakin' wes anderson!
    and that's because our attention spans are built for 5 minute scenes.

That being said, i don't think a single film abused the 10 minute length, that's not my point, my point is that less is more. tighter is better. my 2 cents.

4. prizes: they should be used to lure in more entries, but should not be the reason you enter. I enter because i like the feedback and the competition, and
    the community.

5. i like the idea of not only having a winner, but having smaller awards like "best actor" "best score" "best cinematography" etc.

I hope to enter the next fest so let's keep this moving along.
    -Matt

edit: "best sound design" and "best score" and "best cinematography" and "best writer" and "best actor" would be really cool!
    Last edited by Matt Harris; 11-15-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew B View Post
    I tend to agree with this point. I also think that it might be worth advertising future fest and the prizes up for grabs on sites like nofilmschool, cinescopophilia, cheesycam, and video related sites. Those guys always seem desperate for content and it might just attract some new members to this forum.
    The prizes had nothing to do with my entry (and the fact that I've no hope in hell of winning anything, anyway...but that's another matter).

I'm here for the feedback that I receive. I'm grateful for the feedback that I've received, but I wonder of the viewing format has made this more difficult for viewers: leaving DVX to watch the film, then having to hunt the forum for the film thread in order to leave comments.

I'd personally like to see the films embedded in each film thread with a scoring control (stars). It keeps people on task, if you will.

Regardless, I'm grateful to Jason (and crew) for the effort involved planning and implementing a fest like this. I know it's a massive undertaking...
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Harris View Post
    Hi guys and gals, great fest! congrats to each and everyone of you!

3. the length: after years and years of 6 minute movies, which taught us how to tell better and tighter stories, we suddenly added 4 minutes.
    which noone asked for. I always wished i had an extra minute, so for me, 7-8 minute shorts would be spot on. 10 minutes is too long.
    Nothing will go viral at 10 minutes, i could barely get through wes anderson's new 9 minute short that came out last week, and that's freakin' wes anderson!
    and that's because our attention spans are built for 5 minute scenes.

That being said, i don't think a single film abused the 10 minute length, that's not my point, my point is that less is more. tighter is better. my 2 cents.

4. prizes: they should be used to lure in more entries, but should not be the reason you enter. I enter because i like the feedback and the competition, and
    the community.

5. i like the idea of not only having a winner, but having smaller awards like "best actor" "best score" "best cinematography" etc.

I hope to enter the next fest so let's keep this moving along.
    -Matt

edit: "best sound design" and "best score" and "best cinematography" and "best writer" and "best actor" would be really cool!
    Yeah Matt, I'd love to see different categories:
    - overall film
    - "DVX Forum Favourite"
    - original score
    - actor
    - writer/script
    - sound design
    - cinematography, and so on.

I think having a maximum of 10 minutes is just fine, and it'll be the more disciplined filmmakers who can cut their film down to get it as best they can - be it 4 minutes or all 10.

Chris
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

9. Collapse Details
    What Jason said, there will always be a "bias" when you know a person.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Portfolio of an Entertainment Blogger

10. Collapse Details
    Voting

Guys I was shocked to learn that the new voting system ignored the community vote in favour of a panel of judges for first prize... or should we say significant prizes/competition position. Sure the judges are all nice guys, working hard for the site as volunteers and moderators for a sprawling community. But... they're also filmmakers among peers here... with predispositions towards filmmakers already in the forum. Half of you will already be mates with the winner AJ Brooks (I know I am!) and it just stands to reason that this and any other personal relationship will effect how you perceive a film. We can all relate to to this... because we experience predisposition towards all manner of things in life because of our experience with them despite the objective facts.

It places an enormous amount of responsibility and accountability on a small number of chaps for a site that is strongest when it places COMMUNITY at it's center.

IMO, the community vote, and the judges vote should yield two prizes of approximate equal value - reflective of a parity in the reflection of opinions. Those judges cannot just be the moderators haha... it just doesn't look professional imo / too personal etc. I say that despite the judges all being professional filmmakers/artists/techs etc.

In defence to the rationals that saw the vote change... it is true that festivals do employ judges and that the audience award (as it is often known) is but one of many. However... the dvxfest is borne FROM the community, to attempt an elevation of that festival to one where we throw ourselves upon the critical mercies of a half dozen dudes... feels disenfranchising... a step away from a community led festival.

And yet... the addition of judges IS an important step forward. If done right... it allows for the opinion of a few with significant industry experience and or artistic merit to lend a credible expert point of view. Often past dvxfests are comprised of votes reflective of the majority of the communities members. Ie. new filmmakers... and often they tend to favour the films that most succesfully emulate the commercial fare they (predominately) aspire to. The judges can allow for more creative works to flourish alongside the peoples voice... but there has to be parity between the two imo

It leaves open an unnecessary level of cynicism and suspicion that is easily avoided by balancing the awards/ and seeking genuinely impartial judges. I believe our judges would have tried their best to be impartial but could not succeed in doing so... because nobody really can.

This is no particular criticism to the films that came first/second/third and so forth... they're all worthy 'winners' but because of my misgivings about the system change, they don't feel... I guess as authentic/real to me as in past festivals.

Still awesome... still so glad to see it back... but doesn't quite sit right.
    Last edited by lawriejaffa; 12-20-2013 at 10:01 PM.
    Feature: LORD OF TEARS - A New Legend in Horror - Pre-Order Now http://www.lordoftears.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast